PDA

View Full Version : parts are starting to come in....

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

schnyd112
03-21-2016, 09:48 PM
You silly guys with your muzzle breaks and detachable magazines. If you really want to load from a magazine and load long, go with a hinged floor plate and an extended box. My uncle loads his 7 SAUM out to 2.945 with no issues.

All joking aside, is the mag center feed or stagger feed? If it is center feed you may be able to file a notch in the middle to keep bullets from catching and going nose down. It may also just be a need for practice getting the rhythm down. I have never shot out of a detachable mag, but I know they can be troublesome if you try to go too fast or dont load them to their liking. With a short action cartridge and mag I don't think your problem lies with feed lips.

LoneWolf
03-21-2016, 09:53 PM
You can't compare experience with a Savage action to a Surgeon. When everything is properly fitted you can run the action as fast as you are capable of. Savage actions however are very finicky feeding from a magazine.

LongRange
03-22-2016, 09:11 AM
You silly guys with your muzzle breaks and detachable magazines. If you really want to load from a magazine and load long, go with a hinged floor plate and an extended box. My uncle loads his 7 SAUM out to 2.945 with no issues.

All joking aside, is the mag center feed or stagger feed? If it is center feed you may be able to file a notch in the middle to keep bullets from catching and going nose down. It may also just be a need for practice getting the rhythm down. I have never shot out of a detachable mag, but I know they can be troublesome if you try to go too fast or dont load them to their liking. With a short action cartridge and mag I don't think your problem lies with feed lips.

i bet you edit the muzzle break part after the next match LOL!!

the action already has the AW cut in the bottom of the receiver and may just need a little polishing to knock the sharp edges down but you can see copper around the the AW cut...not a lot but enough that i know at times the tips are hanging up there....twice when it wouldnt feed i dropped the mag and the tip of the top round was tip down so the mag is also part of the feeding issue and this may be as simple as just stretching the follower spring because when you compare the spring tension with your finger to the AICS mags the alphas are pretty soft.

what the feed issues boil down to is to much free bore and its my fault because i didnt think about it until it was to late and then trying to mask an issue with the alpha mags(and they may still work)but if not i have a new reamer on the way and if what jack does dont work i will have him rechamber both barrels to AICS specs...id rather spend another $150 bucks now to know the problem is solved than to shoot out a $600+ dollar barrel chasing a problem that never really gets fixed and causes me nothing but head aches...i have enough of those from work LOL!!

gbflyer
03-22-2016, 01:06 PM
Ordered a Borden Alpine this morning. Man, what a great guy to deal with.

With regards to muzzle breaks, I was recently introduced to the world of supressors. Wow, that's all I want to shoot now. .308 recoil reduced to .22/250 and noise of a .22 mag.

Sorry for the hijack. Fun thread!

LongRange
03-22-2016, 01:37 PM
no problem GB feel free to post what ever you want here...i love the suppressors but what a PITA to get.

gbflyer
03-22-2016, 05:12 PM
No kidding. Mine was right at a year due to a newbie class 3 dealer leaving my application sitting on the desk for 6 months. Oh well, just toys:-)

hafejd30
03-22-2016, 10:44 PM
Just picked up mine today, thunder beast ultra 9. Just over 3 months for the tax stamp

LongRange
03-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Well after the smith played around with this rifle for a few hours we decided it best to just re-chamber with the new reamer instead of trying to put a bandaid over the feeding issue...he also said he would do the re-chamber on both barrels free of charge...after a little arguing he agreed to take a $100 bucks...the new reamer will be here tomorrow so I'll drop it off Friday and have it all back next week.

i just sat at my bench for about 90mins playing with different bullets,seating depths and OAL's and after a lot of measurements and loading and cycling rounds through the mags I came up with two bullet combos that will work just in case the 130 Berger hybrids don't shoot well in the krieger barrel.
if the bergers don't shoot I will shoot 142g SMKs...the 130g bergers are .006 longer touching the lands than the 142s and have .024 clearance in the AICS mags and the 142s will have .030 clearance in the mags when touching the lands so this time I covered my a$$...plenty of room in the mags and two bullets to work with.

this has really been a learning experience for me as this is the first rifle I've put together based around feeding from a mag...I ran 10 rounds of the 130s and the 142s through the AICS and the alphas 3 times each mag...the AICS mags fed flawlessly one of the alphas hung up on the 5th round twice out of the 30 rounds ran though it and the other alpha hung up once outta the 30 rounds...I think a little polishing on the alpha followers will solve the hanging up if not I'll buy a couple more 10 round AICS mags.

LoneWolf
03-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Ya I've found the M5 likes the AICS mags if I cut the feed lips back about .25" further from the front of the mag. That way the round is released earlier and picked up by the CRF action much smoother. I then polished the feed lips a bit to knock down the hang ups I was getting when the mag is loaded with 10rds under tension. Runs really nice now. I need a get another 10rd AICS or 2 though.

LongRange
03-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah I've got a little fine tuning to do after I get this thing running but with getting the clearance in the mags it feeds very well but is a little stiff but I'm sure part of that is everything is new and will loosen up with a little abuse...I mean use.

LoneWolf
03-23-2016, 10:13 PM
No it's abuse lol. Run the dog snot out of it. You shouldn't have to baby any of the new gear. It's all high quality stuff!

LongRange
03-23-2016, 10:21 PM
Oh I'll find the weak links in a hurry and then stock up on those parts...it feels pretty bomb proof though as I was running it hard enough that I broke the rear scope cap off...guess I'll have to run a bikini scope cover the butler creeks don't stand a chance lol.

LoneWolf
03-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Vortex has the defender caps now. I've been hearing very good things about them! I want to pick up a set for myself at some point!

LongRange
03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
That's right I'll look into them since I need a new rear cap.

schnyd112
03-24-2016, 01:39 AM
What do you use to measure you ogive? My Hornady compArator blows, inside diameter is .249"! I have a different one that measures .256 no matter which way i slice it, which from my limited experience is the width across the lands. what is the total bullet length difference you see between the 130 hybrids? I know the 142 smk's vary .003+ base to tip. I have even gone as far as to try and measure the boattail-ogive, then ogive to tip and still have a spread of .003. with the clearance you have now it should be no trouble. Gonna be spittin' rounds like a semi-auto once you get your sling game down.

Just curious, what is your plan for the "old" reamer? If it doesn't find a home I would much rather pay you for it than see it go into the system. I will treat it right. I will burn this barrel out before Halloween at pace I am going.

LongRange
03-24-2016, 08:45 AM
this is how i measure the bearing surface and sort bullets...2 #26 inserts...measuring ogive to base or base to tip is going to give you all sorts of variances....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-42.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo-42.jpg.html)

when measuring ogive to lands i use the hornady tool,modified case and the #26 insert...i will take 5-10 measurements and use either the middle number or the one i get the most consistently depending on the measurements im getting...i dont think it matters where the insert contacts the ogive because your putting the bullet into the lands with the hornady tool and modified case so the tool/insert is just giving you a measurement to work with...buy another #26 insert and body and i bet your bearing surface numbers are more consistent.

also keep these two inserts separate and only use one for ogive measurements and the other one is only used on the boat tail end.

schnyd112
03-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Do both of your #26 inserts measure the same? just curious if they are as small as the one I have and if there really is that much variance piece to piece. I will stick with mine to measure o-give but since I have one of the Hornady comparators laying around I will have to give that a try and see if I get better numbers.

LongRange
03-24-2016, 07:47 PM
i never check the holes i just keep them separate...we will talk about the reamer.

LongRange
03-24-2016, 08:04 PM
well i got a package today the only problem is there was no reamer just an empty envelope...im telling you its the charlie brown luck LOL!!!

a little hole in the top just big enough for a 260 reamer to fit through.....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1458859732.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1458859732.jpg.html)

i got on the phone with grizzly while i was sitting at the mail box and the guy said that CS would be calling with in 24hrs...15mins later grizzlys CS calls very apologetic and said a new reamer will be sent out tomorrow morning next day air...no pictures needed no questions asked....NOW THATS customer service right there!!!!

i use bullets.com for bullets and brass which is a part of grizzly as well...anything i need from this point on grizzly will be the first place i look for it and even if it costs me more they will get my money...i just can not say enough good about the crew at grizzly!!
ive had a few packages go missing..or like this..no product in pak and its always a big fiasco and weeks trying to get my money back or my product...madd props to grizzly!!

LongRange
03-25-2016, 10:29 AM
quick update on the lost reamer...grizzly got it out yesterday afternoon as its out for delivery this morning...now ive got my fingers crossed its in the package this time LOL.