PDA

View Full Version : I've gone to the dark side

Pages : 1 [2]

Jamie
04-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Well ill crawl out on the limb and say I think most people would have enough good sence to turn the power down when conditions dictate it best to do so.
As for using the reticle in lieu of dialing for other than close follow up shots, it wouldn't be advisable for most of us.
Keeping track of what mark to use at certain distances would in itself require a chart.
As one who for decades has used multible dot reticles, ill say it aint for everybody.
Nothings perfect for all situations, but regardless of scope choice, dialing would be the answer in most cases for most people.

You are always on that limb.

Didn't say he didn't have enough sense to turn the power down. What I said was, "When mirage did get to going I was able to dial down to 15x without having to adjust anything else." Meaning that if I am using a BDC reticle in a SFP optic and I only have data for the highest setting I am guessing at holds when I do the common sense thing and reduce power due to mirage. True if you are dialing it doesn't matter either, but he never said if he dialed or not.

Simply stating you prefer to dial for distance would have been a great way to introduce your opinion instead of trying to attack mine. After all it is my opinion on the reasons I like an item. Doesn't dialing for distance require the use of a chart for most people? What do you use to know how many clicks, MOA, MILS or whatever system you use, to move your elevation dial? I don't use a chart for inside 1K, I remember those numbers. After 1K when I start dialing I use a chart because, hey, I can't remember everything.

FIAD asked why would anyone use one and I gave my reasoning as to why I did. My system works extremely well for me and what I do. It may not be for you but that really doesn't matter as long as what you are using works for you.

Dewey7271
04-30-2016, 11:12 PM
OP,
So, have you stretched it out a little yet? Boxed it maybe?
I'm curious as to clarity in differing light and at differing ranges, targets etc.
I'm considering one for one of the rifles and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit: btw, the reticle pics were helpful, thanks!

m12lrs
05-01-2016, 04:43 PM
I really don't understand why there is such an argument between ffp and sfp and mil and moa and dial and holdover. They all work just fine.

For me hunting I like rangefinder and CDS, for the range my kestral and dial. Never used mils. Grew up with MOA and it is easy for.me. Don't compete in any of the competitions that require quick shots at unknown distances.

I am sure whatever works for you will be just fine.

DanSavage
05-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm a MOA kind of guy myself, I like the reticle the same size through all the magnification range. I also like thin Cross hair's with MOA hash marks. I the NP-R1 works real well for me.

I don't even care if the knobs are MOA and the reticle is a mil dot.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

yobuck
05-02-2016, 08:59 AM
[QUOTE=DanSavage;364705]I'm a MOA kind of guy myself, I like the reticle the same size through all the magnification range. I also like thin Cross hair's with MOA hash marks. I the NP-R1 works real well for me.

Your stock value just plummeted somewhere because of that statement Dan. lol

FiveInADime
05-02-2016, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=DanSavage;364705]I'm a MOA kind of guy myself, I like the reticle the same size through all the magnification range. I also like thin Cross hair's with MOA hash marks. I the NP-R1 works real well for me.

I was messing with measurement through my reticle (SFP EBR-1 MOA, 6-24 Viper PST) and it's pretty handy they included detents at magnifications that are factors of 24. So calculation is easy at 6x,8x,12x, and of course 24x. 2MOA primary hashmarks at 24x, 4MOA @ 12x, 6MOA @ 8x, 8MOA @ 6x.

I kinda wish Vortex would have included 2MOA hashes to the edge of the reticle and it would have been even handier for SFP users.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DanSavage
05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

All I'm saying is give me any scope and I'll make it work! When you know your rifle and load real well Kentucky windage is all you need. It's not hard for me to hold over a Deer 70" at 500 yards but 30 foot at 1000 yards is a good challenge.

yobuck
05-02-2016, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=yobuck;364726]

All I'm saying is give me any scope and I'll make it work! When you know your rifle and load real well Kentucky windage is all you need. It's not hard for me to hold over a Deer 70" at 500 yards but 30 foot at 1000 yards is a good challenge.

Well I'm in favor of using the best tool to do a job.
If I were competing in the type of matches some here are, id no doubt be having different
opinions on the type scopes I use.
Those talking about using a reticle for judging distance certainly aren't hunters, or they have no real experience doing so.
I am a believer in holdovers for quick follow up shots on animals, but I wouldn't be comfortable holding for the amounts you've stated.
Reality is your first shot would be a hit at 500.