PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms' New FFP Reticle

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
07-03-2016, 01:44 PM
question for the regulars ,, my centerfire shooting experience is limited , what scope magnification is desireable at ranges 3-800yd when hunting , shooting paper or metal,,,, i have 4-14 and 6.5-20 but have only shot to around 150 yds , thank for your input

Do you put cream and sugar in your coffee? If so how much? LOL
But seriously it can be just as much a personal thing. For strictly shooting, I don't mind more power.
But for l/r hunting, id sooner compromise the power for a bigger field. I would personaly rarly go beyond 12x and less if I can.
But then we also (prefer) places where shots are much less than 1000 yds. And the simple reason for that is that its easier to hit them.
So in view of that, I feel a high scope power isn't really necessary or desirable.

DrThunder88
07-03-2016, 05:47 PM
I was just out at my "local" 1000 yard range and found a 10x Bushnell to be fine for whatever size torso targets they had out there. I can imagine a smaller target would require a bigger magnification.

And the review on the Athlon is pending. I didn't have good drop data for the .308 it was on, which made connecting past 500 a bit fidgety.

Onewolf
07-04-2016, 08:53 AM
question for the regulars ,, my centerfire shooting experience is limited , what scope magnification is desireable at ranges 3-800yd when hunting , shooting paper or metal,,,, i have 4-14 and 6.5-20 but have only shot to around 150 yds , thank for your input

I have made 5 consecutive hits on a 6" plate at 1000 yds with a Bushnell 10X fixed scope. With that being said, peoples eyes are different so what works for me may not work for you. My standard (budget) scope for 1000 yds is an SWFA 12X fixed.

yobuck
07-04-2016, 12:29 PM
I have made 5 consecutive hits on a 6" plate at 1000 yds with a Bushnell 10X fixed scope. With that being said, peoples eyes are different so what works for me may not work for you. My standard (budget) scope for 1000 yds is an SWFA 12X fixed.

For me, just seeing the plate would be a challenge let alone hitting it. And if I did id quit while I was winning lol.

Magnumdood
07-05-2016, 12:13 AM
I'm going to have to read some really shining field reports on the Primary Arms 6-30x56 before I even consider dropping $1500.00 on one, when I can get the Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite Tactical XRS for a few hundred more on the street price. I know the Bushnells hold zero, rtz, track straight, and the click values are equal. An added plus is the glass from 4X to 30X is excellent.

darkker
07-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Do you put cream and sugar in your coffee? If so how much? LOL
But seriously it can be just as much a personal thing. For strictly shooting, I don't mind more power.
But for l/r hunting, id sooner compromise the power for a bigger field. I would personaly rarly go beyond 12x and less if I can.
But then we also (prefer) places where shots are much less than 1000 yds. And the simple reason for that is that its easier to hit them.
So in view of that, I feel a high scope power isn't really necessary or desirable.

That is one of the best answers I've read!!
Really is the most honest as well. I shoot to a mile with a PA 4-14, and a Weaver 3-15. For that I would LIKE more mag, but isn't required for me. For MZ5 that is a bit weak for his eyes. So what do you need? That's up to you.

savgebolt
07-09-2016, 10:10 AM
thanks for the input , gives some new thoughts on the subject , see where my taste takes me,