PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Brass?

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Based on looking for Rem or Win brass over the last several years, my guess is they can get more for loaded brass and are able to currently sell all the loaded ammo they can produce. Industry consolidation also allows for less pricing competition among the players and better control of the supply and demand curve. Marketing and Capitalism 101.

Yes. That was exactly ATK's ploy with Speer. That's why we haven't seen anything for new data or innovation from them in a very long time. They were told that they needed to make bullets for Federal loaded ammo, and be happy about it.
Now that they have gotten away from that mess, they are in the process of a complete "re-shoot" and pressure testing everything. Said they are also working on several new bullets. Last time I spoke with them, we should see the new data sometime next year. I politely laughed and told them to HURRY!! :p

jpdown
07-27-2016, 03:42 PM
An investor group (ex. ATK) and industry consolidation is about making money, which is OK! Selling brass as loaded ammo under the Winchester or Remington brand name is more profitable than selling high quality, reusable brass in a generic market. Based on current prices for Hornady, Lapua and Norma brass, the marketing folks at Remington or Winchester are betting/hoping that you will remain brand loyal and buy loaded ammo in order to get your Remington or Winchester brass. I don't see Remington or Winchester off-the-shelf rifle brass being any more available in the near future.

RC20
07-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Winchester used to be my go to for hunting rifles, such as 308 and 223. Lapua for the precision stuff. Have since switched to Lapua for all due to the fact I can't find the Winchester and Hornady is just as much per round at midway as Lapua. At least it was for 308 last I looked

I was brass agnostic, but Winchester and FC are off my list (I will use them if once fired and pick up but I don't anneal them, just use them till they crak and dump the whole batch.

Yea PPU seems to have replaced RP locally, Winchester readily available.

PPU I like but it has some aspect that first load does not work, it chambers fine empty, put a bullet in it and no. Hmmm. I'll figure it out. Maybe a pre-trim.

I really like RP for mainline but as noted not available and I can't find once fired like I used to.

ergo also moving to Lapua as its both good and the cost benefit for its longevity makes it worth it. On sale it approaches RP and I never see RP on sale.

I did just fine once fire RP in 308 from Diamond K brass for a reasonably price (24 per hundred)

Robinhood
07-28-2016, 07:10 PM
PPU I like but it has some aspect that first load does not work, it chambers fine empty, put a bullet in it and no. Hmmm. I'll figure it out. Maybe a pre-trim.

Odd

darkker
07-28-2016, 11:31 PM
An investor group (ex. ATK) and industry consolidation is about making money,.

It's always about money, the question is at what "Cost", and calling ATK an "Investor group" is woefully kind. They are a defense contractor, which is part of the "Military /industrial Complex" that Isenhower warned about.

copterdrvr
07-29-2016, 09:03 AM
PMC is the brass that I've found to have a ridiculous number of off-center flashholes. I've experienced it in both .308 and .223. It is used as "throw down" ammo now-no attempt made to collect the brass...

I don't buy that stuff but my shootin' buddy bought a bunch on sale for blastin' ammo. If you want a show, shoot PMC rifle ammo when it's starting to get dark-AWESOME-HUGE fireballs!!!! Can't begin to imagine what kind of powder they use.

Texas10
08-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Don't hold me to this as my memory isn't the best, but wasn't Fiocci the one that was notorious for having off-center flash holes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a box of Remingtion 55 gr. to break in my model 12fv in 22-250 with the expectation of reloading the brass. Unfortunately, half the flash holes were way off center, and all the primer pockets were cut .008 to .010 too deep. Seating the primer fully caused many FTF's so I pitched them all and bought Laupua brass.

handirifle
08-03-2016, 12:25 AM
A conspiracy doesn't have to be theory. It takes the actions of group to do something harmful, or the action of plotting/conspiring. If after everything we see in social media and the news and we do not believe it happens it might be time for us to take a second look.

It could be something as simple as manufacturers and distributors holding out for price increases. This is how capitalism works. Right?

I wish it were something that simple. In my mind the same applies to rimfire ammo.

Texas10
08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Could also be that hunting season is coming up and Mfg's are preparing by producing ammo instead of producing brass for hand loaders. As for rimfire, retailers responded to excess demand and hoarding by raising prices until ammo stayed on the shelf for more than a few seconds. There was never any "shortage", but simply excessive demand, and the market responded as it could under free market rules.

Then there's the Corporate raiders who respond to a big up tic in demand by buying out other companies and taking the profits until demand falls again, then strip the company of all its value and sell off the shell. A great example of how the Free Enterprise model doesn't work, or shouldn't work. Remember the Junk bond market in the 80's? Or the home mortgage market of the mid 2000's?