PDA

View Full Version : Berger bullet question

Pages : 1 [2]

captcliff
08-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Heard Berger's tech guy that the hybrid was developed to decrease the sensitivity in seating bullets for the "jump". He said anywhere between 15 and 60 thous. because the bullets just aren't affected that much. Can't remember his name but he has lots of books published on ballistics.

LoneWolf
08-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Heard Berger's tech guy that the hybrid was developed to decrease the sensitivity in seating bullets for the "jump". He said anywhere between 15 and 60 thous. because the bullets just aren't affected that much. Can't remember his name but he has lots of books published on ballistics.

That's Brian Litz and yes the hybrid was created because of the jump sensitivity of the VLD's.

doctnj
08-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Well from my limited experience that is absolutely true. I initially measured the lands in all my rifles and worked up loads just off the lands. They were extremely accurate. Next, reality set in and I seated them deep enough to feed in the mag so they wound up being where ever they needed to be to feed regardless of the lands and shot just as accurately. So Im sold. Last week when I switch my daughters 243 over to hybrid, I didnt even bother with looking up the lands measurement. I seated them just short of the front strap and its a laser for sure.

I cant, however seem to make the jump to berger with the 338LM yet. I still have a pile of 300 gr smk's to shoot, both bullets and previously loaded. I guess I understand the hybrid tacticals are really the only choice there anyhow.