PDA

View Full Version : Darkker's Great Weight v. Volume Debate

Pages : 1 [2]

sharpshooter
08-14-2016, 10:02 PM
I have yet to see a loading manual that specifies powder charges in cc's, cubic inches or fluid oz.

RC20
08-15-2016, 01:29 PM
And while I use one of them thar volume dispensers, its set to deliver below what I want and I trickle in to the proscribed weight (using a digital scale)

Actually am pretty fast at it, almost as good as an RCBS auto unit.

darkker
08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
You aren't related to BigEdP51 are you? :p He's the only other person I know around here that could turn the simple task of measuring out a charge of powder into a 4-year doctorate program at Harvard.

HA! I may share the same illness, but no, definitely a different animal. :cool:

So let me get this straight...

Darkker, are you saying that in order to get ultimate consistency in MV, outstanding SD and ES and the utmost accuracy out of my 1000 yard F-Class rifle, that I should use the Lee Perfect Powder measure and drop charges instead of a set of beams and a gimmicky trickler?

No. I'm saying if you use extruded powder, as per it's design, you should see better results in anything using this method. Other than needing my scale to corrolate a VMD for each lot of powder, I haven't weighed powder in a decade for anything I shoot. Whether or not you will see a practical difference, that's up to your particular method. As with anything consistency is always the key, but if consistency and swiftness is your game, then it is easier to be such using volume.

In order to be brief :rolleyes: My contention is that volume, while widely misunderstood, is not dangerous compared to weight. If running scales makes you happy, or you have achieved the results that work for you, Party-on Garth!

cowtownup
08-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Best of luck to you.. I'll keep an open mind to your theory as I continue the journey...

bearcatrp
08-15-2016, 06:40 PM
About the same argument as metric and US measurement. Go with what works and comfortable. Only been reloading 3 years and will sick with the manual. Works for me.

Robinhood
08-16-2016, 09:52 AM
This guy has a great Idea.

Harrels Premium Powder Measure (http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/fs-harrells-premium-powder-measure.3907669/)

yobuck
08-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Hehe yep.

Time and technology has changed things. We used to have party lines and rotary dialed phones. Analog video and audio. Times have changed. Some good some not so good. But for all of those ignorant bastages shooting unbelievable groups at long range that weigh charges, thankfully we have accurate digital and beam scales.

Well then explain why they can do that only some of the time and not every time?
I mean when shooting from a bench, we cant really blame much on how we feel that day we shoot a poor group.
When we place a gun weighing close to 100# on a bench, there is minimal outside influence such as a shooter affecting the results.
Why don't guns like that always win or at least win the relay they shoot? Yet sometimes they do win.
If weight is such an issue as it pertains to accuracy, why then do 285 gr bullets and 300 gr bullets with the same charge, land in almost exactly the same place when fired from the same gun at 1500 yds?
Are we saying that a 15 gr difference in bullet weight dosent matter but a trivial amount of powder does?
Yet trivial amounts wont show at all at closer distances?
Can we change group size with seating depth regardless of powder charge?
Why wont an accurate load work well in every barrel made by the same maker?
Would you consider it strange to see someone order chicken soup for breakfast?
Would it be wrong to order chicken soup for breakfast? lol
Which reminds me its past noon and I haven't had breakfast.
Maybe ill have chicken soup.

Robinhood
08-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Looks like someone forgot there Geritol.