PDA

View Full Version : Brass sorting question

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
01-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Why not simply separate them by shooting groups?

Rob01
01-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Would think weighing bullets would be more productive than weighing the brass. I have found +-1 gr in one box of bullets so try to group together the best I can. Not a precision shooter by no means but after my 100 yard groups were erratic with berger bullets using a sled bed, came back and weighed the rest to find the differences. Am assuming you can still put the same amount of powder in brass that is off +-2 gr so I don't weigh the brass. Is there a web site that shows proof weighing brass actually helps?

That was probably due more to the sled bed than the bullets. Shoot them off the bench or bipod.

RC20
01-21-2017, 03:41 PM
Sub MOA at 1000 isn't hard to obtain loading like I do but shooting PRS matches you don't shoot a lot of groups. I usually do it when i have my own time or after a match. I have done it with factory ammo. Laid down after a match and shot 12 rounds into about 8" at just over 1000 yards. Factory 140 AMAX loads. Good enough for me.

This is what I find funny. Someone that is doing it professional and posts their results and then people argue with them.

I did read a breakdown of something like the top 12 shooters (forget what type) and not one of them agreed on the procedure.

They all had their own take.

What this tells me is that there is a lot of superstition in shooting and said superstition creates confidence and they shoot better.

Me, I am on the pure facts and tech end.

Per Rob01: If he is doing it with just head stamp sorting and is competitive, then anyone else is just fooling themselves that all that other stuff makes a difference

By all means of course do it for yourself, but I would not tell anyone else that its what makes it better, it just may be better for you.

RC20
01-21-2017, 03:42 PM
And if you are weighting thins, why would you do it on a beam and not an electronic scale?

Rob01
01-21-2017, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words RC20 but I don't get too worked up with people who argue. They want to do it their way then they can and spend more time at the bench but I would rather be shooting. Over the years I have learned what steps help and what don't. I don't buy Federal M primers anymore, just use standard 210 or 215s, or deburr the flash holes. Tested both and found no difference in performance or chrono numbers. Some people feel better doing both. If it helps them feel like they have more accurate ammo then all the power to them. So i just throw it out there and it is what it is.

handirifle
01-23-2017, 01:39 AM
Boy this thing is sprouting roots. I do a lot of stuff to my brass, first time, that a lot call useless, but even if it's in my head, they seem to work.

I have not worked up a load for this rifle since the 70's, but when I did, I was getting 100yd clover leafs with the Sierra 85gr BTHP Gameking bullet (243). Something was working. Thanks for the feedback and opinions. For the record, in the past I never weighed any brass before, so this is a test. This time it is with the Barnes 80gr TTSX, mainly because it is one of the few choices I have to hunt with, here in Kalifornia.

hardnosestreetcop
02-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Cartridges cases can vary considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer. The composition of the metal frequently will differ, the overall length often varies even in new cases from the same manufacturer,and certainly the internal capacity will often be different. Because of these variations you should never mix the case brands, and it is always advisable to not mix case lots. Minor differences like these can vary case capacity, that can translate into variations in pressure and how the loads performs.

bigedp51
02-07-2017, 02:36 PM
The smaller the case capacity the more it will effect chamber pressure, meaning larger magnum cases will be less effected by case volume.

Below the older lot of Lapua .223 brass with 28.0 grains of H2O case capacity will have *6,000 psi increase in chamber pressure over the Lake City case with 30.6 case capacity.
(*Quickload defaults to 28.0 H2O case capacity and your "fired" cases must be checked for H2O capacity)
http://i.imgur.com/LjAQ7L9.jpg

As you can see below there is a reason why people buy Lapua brass and that is because of its uniformity in weight and volume.
(see extreme spread below in case weight variations)

http://i.imgur.com/PExmCCk.jpg

handirifle

I buy a lot of once fired Lake City brass in 5.56 and 7.62 and I form my .243 brass from 7.62 cases and then sort by weight. The 7.62mm, NATO, Ball, Special, M118LR cases are just weight sorted M80 cases and must fall into a 2 grain weight variation range limit. And I also use weight sorted M80 7.62 Lake City cases for my Savage Hog Hunter .308. If this is good enough for military match grade and sniper ammunition its good enough for a old fart who drinks too much coffee and has chronologically gifted eyesight.