PDA

View Full Version : Fire formed brass wont chamber

Pages : 1 [2]

tcoz
04-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Phew....I thought "Oh no, here comes the evidence I've never seen and I'm gonna get smoked". Thanks for posting that sir. I'm gonna keep it so I can roll it out whenever someone tells me I'm crazy for not neck sizing.

bigedp51
04-19-2017, 01:10 AM
Phew....I thought "Oh no, here comes the evidence I've never seen and I'm gonna get smoked". Thanks for posting that sir. I'm gonna keep it so I can roll it out whenever someone tells me I'm crazy for not neck sizing.

Don't call me "Sir" I had a mother and father.

Signed Sgt bigedp51
USAF MAC, You Call We Haul
Yokota AFB Japan 69-73
Sometimes called Midnight Air Command

http://c141heaven.info/dotcom/patches/midnight_air_command.jpg

Deadshot2
04-19-2017, 03:02 PM
On another tangent, the dent could be caused from too much case lube. The refusal to chamber may be caused from cases needing trimmed. I bring this up because I recently went through this drill with a 7-08.

A note on dies, Lee, and others, put a small hole in the die that relieves this lube pressure that causes dents. With Forster the hole also breaks the vacuum seal formed with the case still in contact with the die and the neck plugged with the expander ball.

My dies with these holes do not get lube dents. Those without do, even when I think all i have on them for lube is barely enough to leave a haze.

Deadshot2
04-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Don't call me "Sir" I had a mother and father.

Signed Sgt bigedp51

But if they were married how could you be a true NCO? :cool:

Deadshot2
04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Well this morning got up and read recent post to my dilemma. I did as The Old Coach suggested and gave the chamber a vigorous brushing, retried fired brass and low and behold, it all chambered perfectly.

I shoot a lot (twice per week) and have two very useful tools in my bag. One is a short rod that has a rectangular piece of felt on it that wipes out the bolt lug area after cleaning, and the other is another short handled rod designed for pistols I alternately use a large caliber brush to scrub the chamber area and then change to a patch loop with a large sqare patch on it to wipe clean chamber, all the way into the neck. 50 cal and 410 ga shotgun bore mops work great too.

If you want, a few moments at a grinder, narrowing the large diameter of the brush for an AR-10 (.308 cal) will give you a brush that can be rotated in the chamber to loosen any stuck on crud as well as brushing the lug area at the same time.

When they were first introduced I picked up a Lyman Bore-cam. It's literally "enlightened" me on all the corners bits and pieces of crud accumulate and also, areas I thought were clean when I looked down the bore were far from it. At the time I got one on an Inro offer of $229 and it was a great investment. I now use it at the range and just run it off the battery pack I keep handy for recharging my phone if I'm off the grid for a few days,

BTW gmanhawaii, I just noticed your location. I grew up just down the road in Silverdale. The "Family Home' is now a storage building in the Clear Creek Nursery complex.

Used to be able to shoot from a picnic table in back of the house down into the end of the pasture 100 yards away. No hassles whatever.

gmanhawaii
04-19-2017, 06:55 PM
I shoot a lot (twice per week) and have two very useful tools in my bag. One is a short rod that has a rectangular piece of felt on it that wipes out the bolt lug area after cleaning, and the other is another short handled rod designed for pistols I alternately use a large caliber brush to scrub the chamber area and then change to a patch loop with a large sqare patch on it to wipe clean chamber, all the way into the neck. 50 cal and 410 ga shotgun bore mops work great too.

If you want, a few moments at a grinder, narrowing the large diameter of the brush for an AR-10 (.308 cal) will give you a brush that can be rotated in the chamber to loosen any stuck on crud as well as brushing the lug area at the same time.

When they were first introduced I picked up a Lyman Bore-cam. It's literally "enlightened" me on all the corners bits and pieces of crud accumulate and also, areas I thought were clean when I looked down the bore were far from it. At the time I got one on an Inro offer of $229 and it was a great investment. I now use it at the range and just run it off the battery pack I keep handy for recharging my phone if I'm off the grid for a few days,

BTW gmanhawaii, I just noticed your location. I grew up just down the road in Silverdale. The "Family Home' is now a storage building in the Clear Creek Nursery complex.

Used to be able to shoot from a picnic table in back of the house down into the end of the pasture 100 yards away. No hassles whatever.

Thanks for the info.

Cool that you lived down in Silverdale, Clear Creek Nursery is closed now, has been for a while. I'll bet this areas was a great place to grow up back then.

Robinhood
04-20-2017, 07:44 AM
A note on dies, Lee, and others, put a small hole in the die that relieves this lube pressure that causes dents. With Forster the hole also breaks the vacuum seal formed with the case still in contact with the die and the neck plugged with the expander ball.

My dies with these holes do not get lube dents. Those without do, even when I think all i have on them for lube is barely enough to leave a haze.

...............................And clean the sizing die and the vent hole regularly or when you see a dent.