PDA

View Full Version : Deer Bullet For 223 Savage Edge

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

savagecornmuffin
11-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Yeah, match bullets, varmint bullets, and fmj are bad for 22 Cal deer an hog hunting. A jacketed soft point will do much better. Or a Barnes type bullet. 55-65gr soft points, baby. That's where it's at. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BB68
11-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Shot placement.... of course if you shoot a deer in the ass with a varmint bullet its not going to take out the vitals. But if its shot in the ribcage with the same varmint bullet lights out. My buddy when going through a tough patch in life can attest to this. OP some regular off the shelf soft points will do you well.

noname
11-21-2017, 07:08 PM
And, as usual, those most critical have no experience upon which to base their criticism, only the "wisdom" of other "experts".

And the world is full of so called experts..Just think how many deer have been killed with 22 rim fires...

hawkeyesatx823
11-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Shot placement.... of course if you shoot a deer in the ass with a varmint bullet its not going to take out the vitals. But if its shot in the ribcage with the same varmint bullet lights out. My buddy when going through a tough patch in life can attest to this. OP some regular off the shelf soft points will do you well.Yeah, you definitely don't want to shoot a deer "Texas Heart Shot", or any other game animal in the rear and expect it to drop on the spot.

I shot an antelope at around 50-60 yds with a 55gr soft point, broadside, several years ago, and the bullet technology wasn't as good then as it is now. That 55gr didn't penetrate, but blew up on the rib cage. My buddy had to shoot it with his .25-06 to dispatch it properly.

If I had been given the opportunity to have a heavier bullet for the .223, I would have used it, because they have heavier construction than the 55gr bullets do.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk