PDA

View Full Version : Light firing pin strikes

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
10-15-2017, 07:14 PM
So were you getting any dents in the primer after experiencing "light firing pin strikes?" If you were, I am quite certain poor shooting technique was not a contributing factor here. If the Accutrigger's safety blade is not depressed fully before touching the trigger it will block the sear from falling and prevent the firing pin from striking the primer. PERIOD. You won't get light strikes, you will get NO strikes. If, however, you are actually getting light strikes, something is rubbing, slowing down your firing pin, just as Sharpshooter said. If your father or anyone, for that matter, is not triggering the Accutrigger properly, causing the safety blade to block the sear, it is a totally different issue, unrelated to light strikes.

Having said that, your dad might be messing up with the Accutrigger, and you might also be getting light firing pin strikes. Just don't confuse the two.

SageRat Shooter
10-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Foxx, I did have firing pin marks on the primer even when it wouldn't fire the round... As said above, I'm pretty sure it's the pillar causing the issue. Will be getting that part corrected this coming weekend, get it sighted in again, and get it ready to go Elk hunting (as a back up rifle). Still trust the 30-06 and a Barnes TTSX a little more right now, but it's always good to have a back up rifle... That works properly... :) heading for far eastern Oregon on Nov 1st... Hopefully will have a chance to stretch the legs on it while I'm over there.

Thanks again as always,

foxx
10-16-2017, 10:30 AM
^^^^cool. THat was my original assumption when you first said you were getting light strikes. Sometimes, though, people assume that's their problem when in fact they are not getting any strike due to shooter error with the Accutrigger.

But, for the benefit of others reading this thread in the future...

You were CERTAINLY getting some drag on the firing pin due to interference which lightened the strikes. On OTHER occasions, there was likely another issue with the shooter not pressing the Accutrigger properly. In those situations, the trigger was not dragging, it never had a chance to drag. The sear was getting blocked by the safety blade in the trigger as per it's design.

Glad you got it resolved. Sorry if I am beating a dead horse, don't mean to. Just trying to help other readers in the future.

SageRat Shooter
10-16-2017, 10:47 AM
No worries Foxx!!! That's what I am trying to do as well... That's why I posted the article I found about the lateral forces on the trigger too.... It could have been either one or both... just wanted to give some troubleshooting options for anyone who may have the same problem someday... I mean, that's why we come to this site isn't it....

SageRat Shooter
10-23-2017, 10:24 AM
All right, just wanted to finish up this post with the resolution, Took the 260 down to the range after doing some more work on the pillar to relieve the "drag" on the sear. wound up taking a bit off the back of the sear as well, just to ensure I had plenty of clearance. Got back to the range and had 0 misfires out of 10 shots. It's all good to go!!

Thanks again to everyone here!