PDA

View Full Version : Budget scope for savage 12fv 6.5 creedmoor

Pages : 1 [2]

darkker
12-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Has anybody ever tried a Mueller or a Bushnell banner. I have one of the older Bushnell banners and it has been through a 30 06 and 270 and has took several drops and is still working fine. But I have heard some bad about the newer ones.

Depends on what you want. Those are all SFP scopes, so you likely aren't dialing any corrections. Most of the entry level scopes should be reasonably reliable if you are a "set and forget" type guy. Where scopes run into issues, is when you start dialing them. Even most current Leupoldsand Vortex's Razr Gen 2 don't live terribly long if you dial and shoot a lot. Shoot a few hundred rounds a year and likely no issue. Shoot and dial constantly and you'll run into trouble. I typically shoot a few thousand rounds a year across a few rifles, not what the average hunter does; so the results are different.

LoneWolf
12-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Even most current Leupoldsand Vortex's Razr Gen 2 don't live terribly long if you dial and shoot a lot..

Ran a Gen2 Razor for just about 2yrs with around 5-6K rounds on it in PRS events constantly dialing and shooting. Was still dead on before I sold it to another shooter getting the same use out of it without issue. That being said all things break in due time... Better built higher quality things tend to take a little longer though....

Robinhood
12-12-2017, 12:52 AM
Ran a Gen2 Razor for just about 2yrs with around 5-6K rounds on it in PRS events constantly dialing and shooting. Was still dead on before I sold it to another shooter getting the same use out of it without issue. That being said all things break in due time... Better built higher quality things tend to take a little longer though....

What are you currently using Phil?

LoneWolf
12-12-2017, 05:46 AM
What are you currently using Phil?

Currently, I’m working with the Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50. This is by far the best scope Bushnell has ever produced. It’s has not held me back in anyway so far and has my seal of approval.

There are better scopes yes, but a lot of bang for your buck in a smaller lighter package than most others. I’m running the H59 Reticle package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celltech
12-24-2017, 11:28 PM
SWFA 12x42...I can't overstate just how nice the fine reticle is to aim with. I also have the 16x42 but at that point the eyebox gets pretty tight and you really have to line it up perfectly. But for the money they can't be beat and feel indestructible.

TXCOONDOG
12-25-2017, 04:31 PM
SWFA SS line of scopes. I like to dial and the tracking is repeatable. I also like the mil-quad reticles.

I use this line of scopes for long range from .308 - 50 cals. I shoot in 22 shooter challenge competitions such as card, asprin , match stick splitting using fixed 10X or 20X because the parallax can be focused from 10m-infinity.

SavageMan44
12-26-2017, 02:05 PM
The scope I am going to tell you about , I have 4 of them on everything from 223 to 308 and 6.5 creedmoor, I read an article that these scopes were used as sniper scopes in nam and some still being used in middle east today, I have no issues with mine, the scope is a Leather wood HI-LUX got a 4x 16 x44 on my 6.5 Creedmoor got a 8x32x50 on my savage Stealth 10BA in 308, 4x 16 about $125 the 8x32 less than $200 I also have a Mueller, not in front of me but got it on a Ruger Precision 308 it is in gun safe dont remember exact power, it is made in China, but before I bought it I looked at reviews and it had 5 stars on 99 out of 100, I just shot it at 175 yards off top of atv and shot a 1 inch group 1 inch below my bullyseye, in my opinion they are 2 of the best scopes on market for the money, none of these scopes have big wide cross hairs, small and you can see a fly at 200yds no problem

penna shooter
12-26-2017, 03:58 PM
The scope I am going to tell you about , I have 4 of them on everything from 223 to 308 and 6.5 creedmoor, I read an article that these scopes were used as sniper scopes in nam and some still being used in middle east today, I have no issues with mine, the scope is a Leather wood HI-LUX got a 4x 16 x44 on my 6.5 Creedmoor got a 8x32x50 on my savage Stealth 10BA in 308, 4x 16 about $125 the 8x32 less than $200 I also have a Mueller, not in front of me but got it on a Ruger Precision 308 it is in gun safe dont remember exact power, it is made in China, but before I bought it I looked at reviews and it had 5 stars on 99 out of 100, I just shot it at 175 yards off top of atv and shot a 1 inch group 1 inch below my bullyseye, in my opinion they are 2 of the best scopes on market for the money, none of these scopes have big wide cross hairs, small and you can see a fly at 200yds no problem
Welcome....interesting read on this scopes(Leather wood).Never heard of them until now...Thanks

65Whelen
12-26-2017, 07:58 PM
One option is a used scope. Sometime you can find a higher end scope for a good price. And when considering used the warranty is all important, make sure it has a lifetime warranty, like Leopold or Vortex. Then if something isn't right you have recourse.

ktmracer358
12-26-2017, 08:17 PM
I have a letherwood hi-lux on my 223 single shot great optic for the money tracks fine just gets a little eye boxy at time. It's the 6-24 power. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171227/64b9c85f4c86aae445b871b90b7d84ce.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kyleb0789
12-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Well I have found a used vortex pst 4-16x50 ffp with illuminated reticles for $450. Is that a pretty good price for a used one. Can't find many used ones

penna shooter
12-30-2017, 06:26 AM
Congrats Kyle, there not cheap, thats for sure.....updates on mounting, zero, etc...

flowj
12-30-2017, 08:17 AM
I picked up an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x56 FFP last weekend at LGS. Glass looks good. Haven't mounted yet. I run mostly SIII Sightrons on all others but this will be the first FFP scope I've owned. Going to put on a new .260 build. Hearing some good reveiws from local guys. Time will tell, but for $389 the spanking won't be to bad if it is junk.

kyleb0789
12-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Well went to buy the 4-16 and ended up with a vortex 6-24x50 ffp with vortex scope rings. Hoping to go sight it in tomorrow. Flowj let us know how the Athlon does. I was considering one of them and curious what ya think about it. Might have to put one on the ar to replace the Nikon.

penna shooter
12-30-2017, 09:05 PM
Well went to buy the 4-16 and ended up with a vortex 6-24x50 ffp with vortex scope rings. Hoping to go sight it in tomorrow. Flowj let us know how the Athlon does. I was considering one of them and curious what ya think about it. Might have to put one on the ar to replace the Nikon.
Congrats, like to know how you like the vortex...

Triggerhappytv
02-18-2018, 09:51 PM
Athlon Argos BTR 6×24×50mm 30mm tube. Miliradain rectical. I have literally 100s of rifles and scopes and tried about 10 on my 12FV until I tried the Argos and found it to be prefect. It's slightly heavier than the competition but for 350 it has glass better than all 3 of my vortex viper HSTs and budget wise they are twice as much. The company had the same warranty as vortex and with the more recent version they fixed the fact the turrets came slightly mushy from the factory, and included washers for zero stop and also have made it easy to set your 0 and then remove turrets and a line it to 0 so changing for different loads is simple.

Overall by far the best entry level budget scope you would need for up to 1000 yards and it has a bunch of nice add-ons like adjustable parralex and 6×24 magnification, great turrets and glass equal to or better than SWFA at slightly higher cost. I included photos of it on my savage 12FV, Choate Tactical Stock. It is slightly big and heavy but in it's class it's rather typical.

https://i.imgur.com/5kfuY3M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/TEIydja.jpg

Esedan
06-14-2018, 07:00 AM
I put a Vortex Crossfire II, 6X24 scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor. $299 at Midway.
I like that scope and have it on several rifles, but a couple days ago i decided to do a little test.
I confirmed my 100 yard zero. Using my BC program for that rifle/ammo combo. I ranged a target at 1135 yards. The scope tracked well. Came back to 100, and again the zero held. Back to 1135, back to 100. Then ranged other targets 350, 425, 600 plus. Every time I came back and checked my zero.
You can't ask for better tracking.

Vortex like this models https://tacticsfaq.com/ has a no nonsense warantee. My son's dog ate my vortex field glasses. Though that wasnt the fault of Vortex, they didnt care. They replaced them.I often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I will leave one here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future.Hope it helps.Good Luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leZ2egMlxmg

A&8's
06-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Has anybody ever tried a Mueller or a Bushnell banner. I have one of the older Bushnell banners and it has been through a 30 06 and 270 and has took several drops and is still working fine. But I have heard some bad about the newer ones.

Depends on what you want. Those are all SFP scopes, so you likely aren't dialing any corrections. Most of the entry level scopes should be reasonably reliable if you are a "set and forget" type guy. Where scopes run into issues, is when you start dialing them. Even most current Leupoldsand Vortex's Razr Gen 2 don't live terribly long if you dial and shoot a lot. Shoot a few hundred rounds a year and likely no issue. Shoot and dial constantly and you'll run into trouble. I typically shoot a few thousand rounds a year across a few rifles, not what the average hunter does; so the results are different.

I have a Mueller on my 22-250 'yote gun. I click 90% of the time for yardage...typically from 200 to 600yrds, but have folded a few up at 850-ish. Never had any issues with it not being where it's suppose to be. Just installed the 3rd barrel, so yeah, I've shot it once or twice. Mueller takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Down fall, IMO, it's a SFP.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/RDTague/M12%2022-250_zpso0outpmj.jpg

2nd barrel, about 500 rounds into it.

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p723/RDTague/M12%2022-250%20200yrd_zpsxcyok7wc.jpg