PDA

View Full Version : .308 won't go thru brush

Pages : 1 2 [3]

efm77
12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
I thought in reading the post that both the sectional density and deflection issue had already been pointed out but you all make good points. I hope the OP doesn't try to make a shot like that again and also switches to a heavier bullet if he continues using a 30 caliber which will give him a better SD.

Warthog
12-22-2010, 10:08 PM
[quote=snipecatcher ]
A 150 gr. 308 bullet will blow through 1/4" steel, regardless of the bullet construction. My 6.5x55 shooting a 140 grain Sierra GK (soft nosed bullet) will blow through 1/4" steel from 450 yards. This is the farthest I've tested it. I doubt your bullet blew up, and I can also tell you that a 30/30 would not have been any better. You were either trying to shoot through a tree trunk, or flat out missed. Here's an interesting test on bullet deflection:

The quote is above, I don't know how to get my comments separate.

I was at the range with my son. He was shooting the .357 at a spinner rated for .44 magnum which is made from 5/8" steel. The .357 bullets just go splat. I was shooting my .308 and I thought I would hit is just once and see it spin. It didn't spin, it just put this hole in it! It was just some off the shelf soft nose hunting bullet.

I sent this to our staff scientist who does metal failure analysis. He said the interesting surface on the inside of the hole shows melting and tearing of the metal. The energy of the bullet melted through the metal. The hole is about twice as big as .30 cal, so the bullet did expand.

The point is, punching through metal probably doesn't have much to do with "blowing apart", expanding, or the ability to get through brush. There probably wasn't much left of this bullet after it went through this metal. I couldn't find any pieces of bullet or steel on the other side. The bullet and the steel melt.

I would how the 165 grain Barnes Banded Bullet would work in brush? Midway had them on sale and I bought some. They seem to be solid brass, dangerous game type.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa323/Warthogx0/308-steel.jpg