PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Tactical vs Model 10T-SR Tactical

Pages : 1 [2]

Bad Moose
10-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Honestly with a 300 yrd max and if it were me I'd pocket to 400 to 500 buy the Argos BTR and pocket extra or put it into the rifle. You'll only use the higher powers to verify your shots on the target. At that range we are only at 12 to 14 power. Anything higher you'll pick up a lot of mirage. JMHO.

yoda4x4
10-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your input. I'm seriously considering following your lead on this one. There's 2 things holding me back from going all in with the Argos. 1 - The Ares comes with a larger range of magnification that starts lower (4.5-27x50 vs 6-25x50). On the off chance that I ever take this gun hunting, the lower magnification might come in handy. 2 - The Ares comes with an MOA reticle. I've never used a MIL one and all of my other scopes are all MOA; I have no plans on changing them.

David

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

want2ride
10-08-2018, 08:15 PM
I have 3 Athalon scopes, Including the Argos, and the argos is a really nice scope... ESPECIALLY for the money. I also have the Midas BTR 4.5-27 with the aplr1 reticle, and it is a lot better suited to hunting than the 6-24 Argos. BUT it is the old 2nd focal plane model, but I like the reticle so much that I picked up a Talos BTR 4-14 with the APLR 2. THAT IS ideal for hunting, and I love using a FFP for hunting. Now mind you it is a step down from the Midas and ESPECIALLY the Aeres, but since I have never held an Aeres, I think it must be similar to a FFP version of my Midas. I would go for that if you really want to do both hunt and target shoot and the extra money isn't an issue. It is just a better scope than the Argos.

As far as the MIL and MOA debate. I was a bit resistant to go MIL, but it is just easier. It really isn't hard to use a MIL scope and switch to an MOA. I will say that if he continues with the competitive shooting he is going to want to have a MIL scope. Most people that will spot for him (with you being the exception) is going to give corrections in MIL.

want2ride
10-08-2018, 08:40 PM
If the Aeres is the goal, I have to recommend possibly getting a Burris XTR2 5-25 SCR. I did just pick one up at optics planet for $620 in a funky desert camo color. As much as I like my Athalon scopes, I have a variety of XTR2's and they are fantastic scopes. I have a couple of the 3-15 g2b's on hunting rifles and before I had them on the hunting rifles I had them on my target rifle and had no problem with them out as far as 1000 yards. I also have a 4-20 and a 5-25 both in the SCR (special competition reticle). IMO the G2B is better for hunting and obviously the SCR is better for competition.

Just a suggestion. :)