PDA

View Full Version : How long do you store powder in the hopper of your metering device?

Pages : 1 [2]

Ted_Feasel
01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
I agree with the rule never more than one canister on loading bench at a time.. especially if you reload handgun as I do.. if you were to drop let's say 43 grains of H110 or bullseye into a .308 case, the consequences could be deadly for you or those around you and almost certainly at the very least would be costly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jcalloway
02-12-2020, 02:33 AM
Always put mine up same day.

Fuj'
02-12-2020, 08:36 AM
Clear out hopper at the end of session. And as stated earlier;
Only one powder on the bench.

Jester560
02-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Get Titegroup out as soon as possible. I left some overnight and it etched the hopper on my scale. It was in it less than 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

243winxb
02-15-2020, 10:35 AM
From Hodgdon powder Company-

Powder left in the reloader’s powder measure hoppers for extended periods, overnight or severaldays, should be avoided. Powder needs to be stored in original containers ONLY when not inuse. Numerous modern smokeless powders are double base in construction, containing both Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerine.
Many powder measures use plastics containing polystyrene,which Nitroglycerine adversely affects when contact is made for extended periods of time,resulting in etching or misshaping the plastic. Normal usage during the reloading process does not provide adequate time for this to occur, so simply draining hoppers into the originalcontainers when the reloading is completed for the day, prevents damaging the hoppers.

Look up the SDS or MSDS of the powder your using. See if it contains Nitroglycerine.

https://www.hodgdon.com/resources/safety-data-sheets/

Robinhood
02-15-2020, 07:38 PM
How many of you reload in a humidity controlled or monitored environment?

Txhillbilly
02-15-2020, 08:35 PM
I have always emptied my powder hopper's after I'm done reloading for the day. I also don't mount my powder dispenser's to my bench,I just clamp them down to the edge of the bench with welding vice grips. That way when I'm done loading or changing powders for something else,I can just release the clamp and dump the powder back into the container.

wyosam
02-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Back to the original container when done for the day, or if I’m switching to brass prep for cases that will get different powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk