PDA

View Full Version : Savage entering the “Higher End” of Bench rifles?

Pages : 1 [2]

tobnpr
10-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Would be nice if Savage actually defined what "factory blueprinted action" is on their website...
Means nothing without a description of exactly what work is performed.

Savage is dreaming if they think they can sell this rifle for two grand in an already crowded, and getting more so (PRS) market.

For two grand, gimme this:

https://forum.snipershide.com/threads/ashbury-precision-ordnance-snipers-hide-edition-rifle.6924480/

J.Baker
10-21-2019, 07:00 PM
That's just it. With PRS having a fixed MSRP price ceiling for their factory class every mainstream manufacturer and custom rifle builder wanting a piece of this action is going to be offering something that hits that price. That's a LOT of competition for a relatively small (in the grand scheme of things) market.

If I were in the market myself I would probably go with the Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock rifle for the same money. No feeding/ejection issues with the ARC Nucleus action, a Rock Creek barrel, Timney trigger, and I would much prefer the more traditional KRG Bravo chassis. Plus I can get one of those in left-hand.

Robinhood
10-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Dont forget about the MPA BA PMR with the Curtis action

Fotheringill
10-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Charlie-

Benchrest folks won't even consider a 1.5 lb. trigger. The target accutrigger will go down to six oz. After market like the SAV2 will go down lower when replacing the target Accu Trigger. I don't know minimum pull on regular accutrigger replacements triggers, but I seem to have a dim memory it wasn't in ounces.

Sav2 has its own issues with wobble after installation but sure as hell is crisp.

J.Baker
10-22-2019, 10:37 AM
In regards to the trigger, for some reason I was thinking PRS had a 1.5 minimum limit for production class, but apparently not.

2.3 Bolt Gun - Production Division
The PRS Production Division was created to encourage growth to our shooting community from outside our ranks by allowing shooters the opportunity to compete in PRS events without being disadvantaged due to equipment. In order to accomplish this we have set limits on the original cost of your rifle and the optic. All other equipment that can be mounted to or added to your rifle that doesn’t significantly increase accuracy will be considered accessories and will not be regulated. We want shooters to be able to buy new equipment or pick up a new item off a prize table and be able to use it without the fear of being disqualified from the Production Division.

2.3.1 Production Division combined rifle and optic MSRP as listed on the company’s website shall not exceed $4,000 USD, the rifle shall not exceed $2,000 USD and the optic shall not exceed $2,000 USD.

2.3.2 Rifle: For the purpose of the Production Division, a rifle is defined as the original manufacturers configuration of a complete firearm which will be comprised of at least but not limited to the following: stock with bottom metal or chassis, a complete action, a barrel and a trigger mechanism.

2.3.3 Optics: For the purpose of the Production Division, an optic is defined as a magnified optical system capable of safely engaging targets at various ranges through the use of an internal reticle and or adjustable turrets.

2.3.4 Accessories: For the purpose of the Production Division, the following items are considered accessories and will not be regulated or prohibited from being used on or in conjunction with your production rifle: muzzle brakes, silencers, barricade stops/blocks,custom paint, rings, red dot sights, bags, pads, bipods, rails, zoom levers, data cardholders, bolt knobs, bubble level, etc.

2.3.5 Ammunition: No Restrictions. Any and all types of factory ammunition or hand-loaded ammo is allowed.

2.3.6 Production Division Rifles will not exceed a caliber of .30 or a velocity of 3,200fps. A match DQ will result any rounds over the speed limit of 3,200 fps (+/- 32 fps for environmental factors and equipment discrepancies).

2.3.7 Match Officials may request at any point during a match that a competitor fire their rifle through chronograph. If the bullet exceeds the 3,200 fps speed limit, the shooter will receive an automatic match DQ.

2.3.8 Enforcement: The PRS WILL NOT maintain a list of authorized rifles or optics due to the dynamics of the ever changing cycle of revised models, new products, and upgrades being released by manufactures. Match Directors are responsible for addressing and enforcing the Production Division regulation matters if and when they arise on a case by case basis.

2.3.9 COF: Production Division shooters will shoot the same COF as Open Division.

2.3.10 Production Division Exceptions:

• If your production rifle came standard without a threaded barrel, you may have a qualified gunsmith remove the barrel and thread it so you can run a brake or a silencer, provided no additional work is done to the barrel or action to “Accurize it”.
• If your barrel needs to be replaced, it must be sent back to the original manufacture for a replacement barrel of equal value. Aftermarket pre-fit barrels,or a new barrel from a custom shop are not allowable replacements.
• You may safely tune your original trigger but replacement triggers are not allowed.
• You may glass bed rifles.

LoneWolf
10-22-2019, 10:50 AM
I figured the PRS guys would be smart enough to not set the trigger that light and then the bench guys would not have to replace the trigger. :)

So, I wonder if Savage will do some 'work' on the bolt so it cycles fast enough?

1. This is not a bench gun... you'd be wasting money on a ton of features to run it as one...
2. I do not run a savage, but for PRS I run an 8-10oz trigger and have ran lighter in the past without issue.

LoneWolf
10-22-2019, 10:51 AM
That's just it. With PRS having a fixed MSRP price ceiling for their factory class every mainstream manufacturer and custom rifle builder wanting a piece of this action is going to be offering something that hits that price. That's a LOT of competition for a relatively small (in the grand scheme of things) market.

If I were in the market myself I would probably go with the Patriot Valley Arms John Hancock rifle for the same money. No feeding/ejection issues with the ARC Nucleus action, a Rock Creek barrel, Timney trigger, and I would much prefer the more traditional KRG Bravo chassis. Plus I can get one of those in left-hand.

I'd never willingly send money to PVA unless they had it on the shelf ready to ship. They are known for extremely long and moving wait times.

Robinhood
10-22-2019, 05:03 PM
I had heard they(PVA) had a run of 20TPI barrels that they missed the pitch diameter too. That would effect all of the ARC and Bighorn Actions plus a few others.

J.Baker
10-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Gee whiz! Apparently ya'll missed where I said "if" and "probably". I said that based solely on the components being used, not because I was actually thinking about (or would ever) actually getting one.

charlie b
10-22-2019, 09:03 PM
Charlie-

Benchrest folks won't even consider a 1.5 lb. trigger. The target accutrigger will go down to six oz. After market like the SAV2 will go down lower when replacing the target Accu Trigger. I don't know minimum pull on regular accutrigger replacements triggers, but I seem to have a dim memory it wasn't in ounces.

Sav2 has its own issues with wobble after installation but sure as hell is crisp.

That was what I meant. Savage should have put the target trigger on it and let the PRS folks set it higher if they want.

I just think this is a difficult spot to get into at that price range with all the competition out there.

Robinhood
10-24-2019, 02:22 AM
Gee whiz! Apparently ya'll missed where I said "if" and "probably". I said that based solely on the components being used, not because I was actually thinking about (or would ever) actually getting one.

Nope, We just ran with it.

J.Baker
10-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Nope, We just ran with it.

You know what they say about idle minds.... :becky:

Dave Hoback
10-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Thanks again, and sorry for the hijack, Dave.

No problem far as concerns me compadre. :smile-new: Whatever questions come from a post are all good by me!

efm77
10-24-2019, 04:55 PM
I'm wondering why the AR article shows 300 Norma and 300 PRC as a chambering too but Savage doesn't show those on their website?

mikeinco
10-29-2019, 05:09 PM
as was pointed out..these are not competitive bench rifles.
nice toys
maybe prs..i do not know , do not play there.
the big ones maybe in steel matches in longer ranges(2000 plus)
maybe in the raton magnum steel matches 875 to 2023.