PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP HS Precision .308 - first impressions

Pages : 1 [2]

CFJunkie
07-25-2021, 08:14 PM
Savages aren't considered pretty among the cognoscenti but I have 7 of them and they all shoot as well as rifles costing 2 to 3 times as much.
From what I can tell, Savage barrels are accurate right out of the box.
All I needed to do was learn to shoot them.
I agree with you that Savages get the job done that they were intended to perform and, to me, that counts more than how they look.

I have one HS Precision stock and find that it does not need any modification at all to perform extremely well.
It is on one of my best shooting rifles.
I also have 3 Accu-stocks in 3 calibers (.308, 6.5mm CM & .22-250) that perform very well.
All three of the hidden mag Savage stocks have been replaced with either a Bell & Carlson Adjustable match stock on one of my .308s or with an Oryx chassis on a .223 and 6.5mm CM.
I would recommend that you experiment with different bullet weights to see what the barrel prefers. You may be surprised.
By the way, I believe that you will find that your rifle may not perform best with the bullets or bullet weights that others tell you will be best or that you expected would be the best.
Only your own barrel can tell you what it prefers.

I have two Savage .308s, both 24-inch barrels.
One shoots 155 grain TMKs better than anything else but also shoots 168s SMKs and TMKs almost as well.
The other shoots 175 SMKs and TMKs best but also shoots 195 TMKs just about as well.
Of the two, the one that favors 175 grain bullets and heavier at would be my preferred long range shooting rifle since 175 loads with muzzle velocities of at least 2450 fps will stay supersonic out to 1000 yards. 168s probably won't stay supersonic past 800 yards.

All of my hand loads out shoot factory ammo in all my Savage rifles.
Factory ammo is almost always loaded for velocity - since that is what sells.
If you are an accuracy nut, you will find that you really do have to tune your loads to what the rifle shoots best.
None of my Savages, in any of the calibers I own, shoot the most accurately at factory ammo velocities.

Here is a link with the powder-bullet combinations that work best in each of my .308s.
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?69118-Summary-of-results-with-different-powders-and-bullets-for-two-Savage-LE-308s

Unfortunately, none of the .308 loads are with factory ammo.
If you are so inclined, you might look into hand loading when you get more familiar with your rifle and want to take it to the next level of accuracy.

jkv45
07-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the info CF. Your bullet and load testing data is very interesting.

For now my testing will have to be with different factory ammo, but to take it to the next level I realize I need to hand load.

At this point with my skill level ultimate accuracy isn't required, and the added complexity of testing hand loads would hamper my learning of the basics.

Dave Hoback
07-26-2021, 12:05 AM
Good stuff!:thumb: Now start reloading! You won’t be sorry & will ALWAYS have more accurate loads. Just some very basic case prep and care taken will yield more accurate ammo than ANYTHING off the shelf!

Also, now you can start tweaking the little things. You can do some things to make the bolt lift NON-extistant! I have a video on here somewhere, actuating the bolt after pulling the trigger. It’s really light! Can also look into doing an Accutrigger job. Triggers are a very preferential. Especially the Accutrigger. Seems people either LOVE ‘em, or HATE ‘em! (Mostly the later) I love my custom Accutrigger & wouldn’t trade it for anything! And yes....I’ve used the various moderate to very expensive aftermarket jobs. Nah....I’ll stick with MY custom Accutrigger that cost me a couple bucks for new springs, shims & set screw. Little bit of “love” can go a long way to making your rig a more enjoyable tool. Glad to hear the success & wish you well for future, and FURTHER, outings!

Robinhood
07-26-2021, 01:02 AM
Good stuff!:thumb: Now start reloading! You won’t be sorry & will ALWAYS have more accurate loads. Just some very basic case prep and care taken will yield more accurate ammo than ANYTHING off the shelf!

Always is a definitive word Dave. Some just don't get it. Kind of like being a Savagesmith. Anybody can do it. Some just screw it up more than the rest of us. Trust me. I have bought some of it unbeknownst to me of coarse. Twisted actions, ground off bolthead corners. Sheared lug anti rotation pins....and on and on and on. :)

Dave Hoback
07-26-2021, 11:57 AM
Agreed. I get it.

jkv45
07-26-2021, 12:19 PM

Also, now you can start tweaking the little things. You can do some things to make the bolt lift NON-extistant! I have a video on here somewhere, actuating the bolt after pulling the trigger. It’s really light! Can also look into doing an Accutrigger job. Triggers are a very preferential. Especially the Accutrigger. Seems people either LOVE ‘em, or HATE ‘em! (Mostly the later) I love my custom Accutrigger & wouldn’t trade it for anything! And yes....I’ve used the various moderate to very expensive aftermarket jobs. Nah....I’ll stick with MY custom Accutrigger that cost me a couple bucks for new springs, shims & set screw. Little bit of “love” can go a long way to making your rig a more enjoyable tool. Glad to hear the success & wish you well for future, and FURTHER, outings!

Thanks Dave.

I have seen the video about modifying the bolt-lift, and have done it. Much better than it was, and doesn't present any issues for me.

I have reloaded pistol calibers in the past, and have most of what I need for rifle except the dies. Reloading is on the list of things to do - right after "Learn to shoot...".

So far, I feel I'm on the right track, but with a lot to learn.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their technical knowledge - and for the encouragement!

OneShotOneHole
07-11-2022, 06:21 PM
I know I'm late to the party but I've come across a used one at a little over five. It's been shot very little. This thread has geared me in the direction of my the purchase.

I've purchased several Savages, the last three with the new triggers. They're amazing compared to the original ones, although not as good as a Timney.

Someone recently explained how well their rifle shoots with Norma 147gr ball. My Remington, which usually shoots 1/2 with 168gr FGMM, wouldn't shoot less than 3 1/2-4 inch groups. Doesn't matter, Norma brass is great for reloading.

Does Savage make a larger capacity magazine?