PDA

View Full Version : Prarie Hunter Stock for Axis 7mm-08

Pages : 1 [2]

Herby
01-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Hey Herby:
Thanks for the info. I can't believe what a cheap setup it is. But, for $ 250, incl scope, what can I say....

I'm thinking of filling the whole butt stock with the Rockite. I see it's a water based/cured cement product. Makes sense with the name ROCKITE, sigh... I figured it was an epoxy filler. Wonder what the chance of shooting loose after awhile? The extra weight will help with 308 recoil. I lost my masochism years ago.

What was the purpose of the paper towel tube? Did you see any effect from curing heat, or any expansion of the stock when it set up?

-Thanks, -West

West the Rockite seems solid once it dries, a little heat while curing but no cracks at all. The tube in the stock was just to take up some volume to keep the weight down a bit. I stuffed the void with bubble wrap. This is a hunting rifle and will be packed around a bit so I didn't want it overly heavy. Have not shot it yet but seems better balanced with the extra weight.

Herby
01-17-2020, 11:41 PM
Well, when it's all said and done the rifle now weights a little over 8.5 lbs with scope.,, nice handling but just a little heavy for me. Should have used just a little less Rockite. The situation is for hunting public land in the West - I find a guy needs to get about 3 miles off the road or trail for even a chance of finding a buck.. That makes 6 miles round trip minimum, with a couple thousand foot climb most likely if you are in the Cascades. The distance is actually more important than what rifle/scope/caliber/ you have. So say you have a bad knee that little extra half pound means a lot.

Hunting from a tree stand on your Dads 100 acre farm in Wisconsin would be a whole different thing. This rifle would perfect.