PDA

View Full Version : A new twist on a old barrel

Pages : 1 [2]

Shortbox4x4
12-27-2019, 06:50 PM
So years back say right after WW2, how were the good barrels like say those used on 52 Winchesters made?
And by people like Harry Pope who was well known as a barrel maker?
Was the machinery available to do cut rifling at that time?
And finally, since most factory rifles today are more accurate when purchased than years ago, is it due to better made barrels due to better machinery, Or a combination of things including ammo?
I frankly don’t think man is any smarter or better today, but we certainly have the techknowledgy to help make it look that way.

Single point cut rifling is the oldest method still being used today to make gun barrels. Don’t confuse single point cut rifling and broach cutting. Similar but different.

Pope’s barrels where all cut rifled. His original machines where all manual machines. He physically pulled the cutter thru the bore of the barrel by hand. Just like Schoyen and others of the time.

Win.52 barrels where cut rifled as where some and all of the preWW2 1903 barrels, 1917 Enfield barrels etc....button rifling came about during WW2 for the most part. Germans started it around 1925ish time frame if I remember correctly.

No new machines where built till we built brand new CNC machines. The last single point cut rifling machines built would’ve been the Pratt and Whitney hydraulic rifling machines and I think the last ones where WW2 or maybe till about 1952. Tooling still plays a part but we took all of the short comings out of the P&W machines. Even the Pratt’s though will make a consistently better barrel than a button barrel. Our machines and again tooling plays a part we’ve made 2 groove, 3 groove, 4 groove, 5 groove, 5R, 6, 8, 10 and 12 groove barrels. The machines are capable up to 24 grooves if memory serves me right. Twist....we can do gain twist and straight twist. Left hand twist or right hand twist. We’ve done gain twist barrels that have started out at 0 twist. Straight twist barrels we’ve made barrels with a twist rate as fast as 1-1.5! Actually we tried making 1-1 twist but tooling limited us as we where wiping out half the land width but the barrel still turned out.

Rifles now a days or should I say barrels made now a days are not necessarily any better than days gone by. I just recently sold a Ballard Rigby 4th variation that was converted by Pope around 1905 to 22RF. That rifle would shoot groups in the .3xx’s at 65 yards. I’ve had or had plenty of old rilfles WW2 vintage time frame or older that will shoot as good or better than stuff made now a days. I’d say ammo and bullets have made leaps and bounds. Box ammo especially with in the last 15 years or so. Still plenty of crappy ammo out there. The old saying is you get what you pay for but if you want the best accuracy your still handloading. To me that hasn’t changed.

For years cut rifling kinda died after WW2. You had a couple of guys/shops here or there that still did it but not in any real qty. I’d say Obermeyer and then Krieger really put cut rifling back on the map. Even when I started at Krieger there was a belief that button barrels where better and a cut rifled barrel would never compete with a button barrel on a bench gun. That was totally false/inaccurate statement. The biggest problem with say Obermeyer or anyone else till Krieger no one made slow twist 6mm benchrest barrels. Now a days...you look at almost any equipment list in short range BR and it’s Bartlein and Krieger on top. Maybe you will see a Shilen or a Hart in the top 25 and if you do it’s a couple here or there at a big match.

Overall from making barrels to making ammo and bullets we are better today then in years past. In some cases I’ll agree....some skill/knowledge has been lost to the guys who have passed before us. I wish I could sit down at a table with Pope and others and ask why did they do this or why did they do that? What led them to doing a crown this way or that way etc....and that’s the problem I see more and more....big manufacturers are gearing towards more and more production and the old world skills are to an extent being lost. Hell even the local schools are getting to the point of not teaching basic machining skills anymore and this is also coming from the manufacturing sector side....where they only want someone that knows how to program a machine but that new guy at times cannot even make a manual machine run and make a part with it. Feeling/touch part of the skills are being lost I fee and I’m hearing it from the older generations of teachers that are being forced to give it up. One of the local trade schools doesn’t even have a manual engine lathe in the school anymore!

charlie b
12-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all of this. My father-in-law, a local gunsmith and I gained an old rifling machine. Don't remember the brand. It started us down a path to make a Sharps, but, things stalled when 1) we found out how much the raw materials cost!! and 2) medical issues came up. I think the gunsmith made a few pistol barrels (rebored and rifled) but that was about it. The cost of a barrel blank from any of the mfgs was less cost time wise than doing it ourselves.

I still don't know how JES does his barrel work at the prices he charges.

I have been upset about high schools dumping the trades classes for a long time. I felt my time in metal, wood and auto shop classes helped me be a better engineer. I watched many of my peers fail just because they had no idea how their assemblies were going to be made and the difficulties resulting from their design decisions.

And, yes, now days CNC has taken over. And robotics. My son jokes that his job is to put other people out of work as he automates factory processes.

Shortbox4x4
12-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Charlie B, Your welcome!

Also I forgot in my long winded post that we’ve also done 7 groove and 7R type rifling as well.

I’ve always been taught not just with machining but with automotive. You have to know the basics. You know the basics and you can learn the more advanced stuff.

Also as far as updates in technology back to yobucks comment about technology and thinking that it just looks like we know more/better.....we also have bore finishing machines as well (pre rifling) during the barrel making process. Where in the past we use to prelap the barrels by hand (and in rare cases we still might) we now have a machine to do it. This took the human element/error out of it. The finish of the bore per say isn’t any better but it is more consistent because of it. After we tested the prototype machine and purchased one I know a couple of other barrel makers have also purchased one. Since we purchased one we have since purchased another one.

So there are advances in the industry that in most cases the average guy never hears about. Also there are steps being taken in search of a better grade of gun barrel material as well.

GaCop
12-29-2019, 09:32 AM
So I had it put together enough to give it a test drive and put a zero on the scope today. Shot 16 rounds thru it. I'll say we have success. Took a few rounds to get it zeroed. Winds where 15-20mph running from left to right. Last target is shown. The far left round was my first round after sitting back down. Could've been me, could've been the wind....the up and down most likely is because the stock isn't bedded. Just shot box Hornady ammo. Take the first round out and the group measures just a tick over .5". Target is at 117 yards. It's on the bench getting cleaned right now. Will see how it cleans and broke in per say. Scope is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x. Fired brass didn't even have a .0005" of runout. So going from the 223 Rem. chamber and redoing it to 6.5CM I did something right in the set up!

Our 6.5CM match reamer with the box ammo the bullets are jumping .022".

Gotta bed the stock now after we double pin the recoil lug.

Later, Frank

Coming along nicely!

1953greg
12-30-2019, 12:09 PM
very nice outfit.....im sure it wil shoot as good as it looks!!!!!
thanks for sharing........greg