PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's 223 Ammo

Pages : 1 [2]

azguy
05-14-2020, 09:35 PM
I have had good luck by going to Cabela's web site and back ordering 223 reloading bullets and picking them up at the store.

Bama
05-14-2020, 10:26 PM
Backordering sounds like a reasonable plan but , right now , Cabela's web site has no listing for any Hornady ammunition in .223 caliber . The only listing for .223 rounds are for one type of Herter's , one type of Federal , and one type of Atomic . I'm sure they will update and add when it becomes available .

6mmBR_Shooter
05-15-2020, 08:23 PM
Ammo and toilet paper ... oh well . I have been thinking seriously about rollin' my own so this may help me take that next step . Thanks

Many vendors have been sold out of reloading presses also. There was a lee press that went for over $400 on ebay a week or two ago. I was going to help a guy from our church start reloading but we haven't been able to find a single stage press for him for a decent price yet.

charlie b
05-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Yes you can but 5.56 does operate at a higher pressure.. its had to find exact apples to apples comparison but I have. Military measures PSI at the base of the case and SAAMI measures in CUPS taken from the middle of the case. The 5.56 nato has a deeper throat to facilitate more reliable cycling in semi and full auto and it allows higher pressures but the reality is that all rifles are proofed at much higher pressures than they are loaded to so you probably wouldn't suffer catastrophic failure but it will cause unwanted wear and a dangerous failure is not outside the realm of possibility.. in short, its your rifle and your life so feel free to fire nato rounds in a 223 rem chamber but you shouldn't do it or at the very least you shouldn't do it often.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The only real danger is if the load causes the bullet to engage the rifling when chambered. That can cause higher than specified pressures.

The rated pressure difference is a minor issue and not even worth mentioning with modern barrels. The exact same barrel can be chambered in .223 Wylde or 5.56NATO with no changes other than the throat dimensions.

Bama
05-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Thanks 6mmBR for the heads up . Just short of depressing but then you think of those who are affected in much more severe ways .