PDA

View Full Version : Misfires / primer issues

Pages : 1 [2]

bdspen
06-01-2020, 11:54 AM
The most common reasons for FTF is F.L. sizing a case too short from base to datum or not seating primers to the bottom of the pocket (or pocket has been reamed too deep).

If you seat your bullets into the lands, you'll have less problems with FTF but that is not addressing the cause of the problem, not setting up your dies properly.

Instead of FL sizing, you might try neck sizing your 223 brass. I've been doing this for years with the Lee die and can get dozens of cycles out of my brass without F.L. sizing. Also helps keep bullet runout to a minimum. I only FL size when bolt close is stiff.

When I break in a new barrel, I will not F.L size the brass until I have issues with closing the bolt on the cartridge. This tells me my brass if fully fire formed to the chamber, and I then keep one of these cases as a chamber model to reference measurements from. If you know exactly what your base to shoulder dimension is when fully fire formed, you can easily set your dies to -.001 or -.002 under that dimension. Besides eliminating FTF issues, your loads will shoot more consistently and your brass will last longer, needing fewer trimming operations and reducing the likelihood of incipient case separation.

This is great thanks. It turns out all of the fired brass I've tried to chamber has chambered successfully, so I will just neck size and reload until they show some resistance like you say. Judging by most of these replies it seems like headspace is probably the issue, I will have a chance today to load up some fired brass, and also some factory brass that I fired, and shoot tonight or tomorrow so that should tell a lot.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-01-2020, 02:26 PM
And remember, the head space we're talking about is "THE BRASS", not how the barrel is set to the bolt head.
Don't let someone start you down that road. Again, keep it simple.

243winxb
06-01-2020, 10:01 PM
Shoulder set back can happen closing the bolt on a 1903 30-06 rifle. Read Hatchers Notebook.
An M16 will set the shoulder back on chambering a round , if the head to datum measurement is a few thousands longer then the chamber.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/223_case_annealing/42-369231/ This guy did his own test, as i did.

Posted: 4/22/2012 8:54:03 AM EDT

OK, I did the shoulder set back test(cases with fired primer) on three of my RP cases that I annealed. Set back was .006 So, I loaded up three of my once fired/resized LC cases with factory only annealing and the results were the same at .006 Tested on my INNOVATIVE TECH gauge. Now perhaps tommorrow I will test this first lot at the range.

Age doesnt make you smarter or how many rounds you put down range.

I am 75 & take nothing on the internet as truth. I do my own testing.

I suggest you do also. Test it.

Have a great day.

Robinhood
06-01-2020, 11:32 PM
An M16 will set the shoulder back on chambering a round , if the head to datum measurement is a few thousands longer then the chamber.

Ive seen this happen. The inertia of the spring driving the bolt home was responsible not the firing pin strike. I practice dry firing on a case with a spent primer. After 50 plus trigger pulls/ firing pin strikes in an afternoon there was <.001 shoulder setback. And I am not 100 percent certain it wasn't me measuring differently. I anneal also but if it is so soft that my brass shoulder bumps on firing pin strike, I over did it in my opinion...

If a properly sized case that is dimensionally correct and it is put in a chamber that has been set too long is it still a case headspace issue

Nor Cal Mikie
06-02-2020, 10:34 AM
"If a properly sized case that is dimensionally correct and it is put in a chamber that has been set too long is it still a case headspace issue"?? That's a BRASS (case) head space issue. NOT a barrel/chamber head space issue. Don't let someone lead you down that path. It's BAD and you'll shoot your eye out!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: Remember, don't fix it if it ain't broke.
The chamber too long?? How bout the "case" is too short for the chamber. First time (usually) fired, it'll blow out the shoulder out to match the chamber specs.
Too short and you CAN end up with FTF cause the case CAN be pushed forward in the chamber, just enough and you can end up with a soft strike. That's what the OP ended up with on his reloads.
Now I can see an issue with a M16 bolt/spring causing the shoulder to be pushed back (A BIT, NOT .013!!) because of the spring pressure But, the brass was probably junk and just at a separation point and you didn't know it. Brass VERY THIN just above the case head but someone shooting that brass is just asking for BIG TROUBLE!!
That's where the proper sizing of the brass comes in. Too long and the bolt can't FULLY close and you CAN get a SLAM FIRE.:eek::eek:
You don't usually have case head separation on a bolt gun, (that I know of) but I guess anything CAN happen? I do know a M1A will RIP a case head off without issues and be looking for another one. It doesn't take much to get thinner brass after being fired in as gas gun.
I DO know that brass too long on a M1A will chamber and you'll brake the op rod off trying to eject that case. (been there, done that):eek::eek:
Never broke the Op Rod but tore up my hand trying.
After 50+ dry firings you see a slight setback of the case shoulder? I've already burned off 100 rounds and am looking for more.:cool:
We HOPE we learn as we go.