PDA

View Full Version : Ruger M77 MKII Shot Stringing

Pages : 1 [2]

stomp442
06-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Are your m77s sporter profile barrels? How mnay shots do you get before getting heat walk?

Yes, sporter profile barrels. My .260 is the only one with an aftermarket barrel, a Shilen #5. I only shoot 5 shot groups and I strive for half moa or better which I haven't had any trouble getting in the rifles I have worked on. I have heard that some Rugers that used steel from Chyna can leave a lot to be desired. Maybe I have been lucky enough to not have messed with one of those. Here is a few pics from a few Rugers that I have worked on. Like I said I have no complaints with a Ruger.

Longranger
06-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Yes, sporter profile barrels. My .260 is the only one with an aftermarket barrel, a Shilen #5. I only shoot 5 shot groups and I strive for half moa or better which I haven't had any trouble getting in the rifles I have worked on. I have heard that some Rugers that used steel from Chyna can leave a lot to be desired. Maybe I have been lucky enough to not have messed with one of those. Here is a few pics from a few Rugers that I have worked on. Like I said I have no complaints with a Ruger.

Wow that's impressive. Did you shoot any of your Rugers in factory form before they were bedded? And if so did they exhibit shot stringing like what I described in my op?

stomp442
06-11-2020, 08:59 AM
First thing I do with anything is bed it so, no.

Longranger
06-12-2020, 09:24 AM
First thing I do with anything is bed it so, no.

Dang, I was hoping somebody had one that acted like mine in factory form and they figured out how to fix it. Hopefully thats all mine needs, I'd hate to go to all the work of bedding it to have it still string shots.

sharpshooter
06-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Just for grins and giggles, put an optical bore sighter in the muzzle, and then play with the action screw tension. You'd be surprised how much the receiver bends.

Longranger
06-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Just for grins and giggles, put an optical bore sighter in the muzzle, and then play with the action screw tension. You'd be surprised how much the receiver bends.

I would if I had one. But how would that explain the difference between my m77 and others that don't string shots?

Longranger
06-12-2020, 03:39 PM

You mentioned barrel steel quality, was that an issue at on in the m77 mk2? I thought that was limited to the original m77s that's why I bought a mk2.