PDA

View Full Version : Starting reloading for 223

Pages : 1 [2] 3

KMW1954
08-16-2020, 09:11 PM
So it's been a quiet couple days as I had to work all day at the range yesterday. Saddest part of that is it only aggravated my case of the "Bends" as I came home with another full gallon bucket of 223 brass.

I sat and sorted it last night while watching TV and came away with 3 piles. One with no crimped primers, one with crimped primers and a 2# peanut jar of LC brass that I will now save for another day.

Today I spent a good deal of time looking for supplies and then reloading dies. I have found that 223 dies are as hard to find as primers. I did hear from a friend that he has some CCI #41 primers to trade so that works out. Then I put out a WTB on a few of the other forums I visit for a set of 223 dies..

Dave Hoback
08-17-2020, 05:12 PM
LOL! I’m messing with some LC 5.56 brass right now. 2013 headstamp date. Here’s a little case holder I made up to act as my “other” hand. Hahaha... Man! I remember doing this with two arms/hands & it was so much easier. Oh well.

Case in the holder while I clean the primer pockets & deburr the flash hole. Same thing as you said...while I’m looking at TV, LOL.
https://i.ibb.co/GcwJhCw/745216-BA-0-DED-4873-9-D6-D-1-D63-ED7-D3-E53.jpg (https://ibb.co/nz20WQ2)

Lovely bucket of 1000 cases or so to go through. This was compliments of Wayne here. (Member Shooter0302...Thanks again my friend!)
https://i.ibb.co/QpHtSTw/323-E738-C-2-B5-D-435-D-B27-A-4-AFA51135-B72.jpg (https://ibb.co/vVdRyTn)

Ted_Feasel
08-17-2020, 05:26 PM
LOL! I’m messing with some LC 5.56 brass right now. 2013 headstamp date. Here’s a little case holder I made up to act as my “other” hand. Hahaha... Man! I remember doing this with two arms/hands & it was so much easier. Oh well.

Case in the holder while I clean the primer pockets & deburr the flash hole. Same thing as you said...while I’m looking at TV, LOL.
https://i.ibb.co/GcwJhCw/745216-BA-0-DED-4873-9-D6-D-1-D63-ED7-D3-E53.jpg (https://ibb.co/nz20WQ2)

Lovely bucket of 1000 cases or so to go through. This was compliments of Wayne here. (Member Shooter0302...Thanks again my friend!)
https://i.ibb.co/QpHtSTw/323-E738-C-2-B5-D-435-D-B27-A-4-AFA51135-B72.jpg (https://ibb.co/vVdRyTn)You may already know but LC brass will resize much easier and more consistent shoulder sizing when its annealed at least every 2 load, i anneal my lc every load

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

hardnosestreetcop
08-17-2020, 08:40 PM
For me hand loading is a very educational past time because i am always learning something new, I’ve been at since the late 80’s.
The .223 Remington is very easy to load for, as in all my cartridges one of my goals is to tailor a load that meets or exceeds the factory loading in accuracy.

Dave Hoback
08-17-2020, 09:05 PM
Yeeeee’up! :smile-new: Absolutely correct. I don’t anneal every load. Although done correctly, wont hurt.

wyosam
08-17-2020, 09:23 PM
No one will be late to the dance or party until I finally find a load that works and I can be proud of. Even then it will always be a welcome discussion.

Sorted my kept brass and the two headstamps that were the greatest quantity are PMC at 121 and GFL at 63 then there were a few Hornady, RP and FC. and a bunch of others. I've used a lot of GFL in pistol loading but not much PMC.

I’ve found the PMC brass to be great. I have a batch of 100 (range pickups), that I’m on about the 5th load on. I shoot a lot of different brass (mostly range pickup, though I do have one lot of Lapua I use for special occasions), and I find the PMC I’ve picked up to be more consistent in weight than LC. Ndeck tension has been consistent, primer pockets are still tight. 223 is awesome to load for. It is a cheap (relatively) way to learn skills and gain knowledge that transfers well to larger calibers. They are also a blast to shoot, and easy to shoot well. Being easy to shoot well means they are easier to tell what is working and what is not on the reloading bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KMW1954
08-17-2020, 09:59 PM
Great big thanks for all the encouragement and tips. Keep them coming as I am paying attention!

Still need to find a set of dies.

charlie b
08-18-2020, 08:23 AM
Keep in mind I am not a benchrest shooter. I can hold a little better than MOA, but, not by much, and my technique is not that great. So, 1/2MOA groups are about as good as I can get. I can get lucky every now and then, but not on a regular basis.

Why did I say that? Just to put into perspective that I do not push the envelope with reloading. Yeah I weigh loads down to 0.1gn most of the time. But, I am not that careful with seating a specific distance from the lands, I have never annealed case necks. I do not ream primer pockets or flash holes and I do not weigh cases. I don't ream or turn necks. I will trim to length after 5-10 case reloads.

I do sort by head stamp. Sometimes I will sort by year of head stamp on military brass.

Since I only shoot a cartridge in one rifle I almost always neck size. Not because I think it is more accurate. I just like the convenience of using the Lee collet neck sizing die. No need for case lube. I deprime and size in one batch. Sometimes clean the brass (ultrasonic). Hand prime. Then add powder and seat bullets (on a progressive press).

The results are 1/2MOA loads.

Maybe, one day, if I ever get better at shooting, I will try some of the more subtle reloading steps. Until I can keep the cross hairs steadier and improve my trigger pull I will leave it as is.

Ted_Feasel
08-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Keep in mind I am not a benchrest shooter. I can hold a little better than MOA, but, not by much, and my technique is not that great. So, 1/2MOA groups are about as good as I can get. I can get lucky every now and then, but not on a regular basis.

Why did I say that? Just to put into perspective that I do not push the envelope with reloading. Yeah I weigh loads down to 0.1gn most of the time. But, I am not that careful with seating a specific distance from the lands, I have never annealed case necks. I do not ream primer pockets or flash holes and I do not weigh cases. I don't ream or turn necks. I will trim to length after 5-10 case reloads.

I do sort by head stamp. Sometimes I will sort by year of head stamp on military brass.

Since I only shoot a cartridge in one rifle I almost always neck size. Not because I think it is more accurate. I just like the convenience of using the Lee collet neck sizing die. No need for case lube. I deprime and size in one batch. Sometimes clean the brass (ultrasonic). Hand prime. Then add powder and seat bullets (on a progressive press).

The results are 1/2MOA loads.

Maybe, one day, if I ever get better at shooting, I will try some of the more subtle reloading steps. Until I can keep the cross hairs steadier and improve my trigger pull I will leave it as is.1/2 moa will get food on the table, some nice deer stew, greenbeans ,.taters mmm

JW
08-18-2020, 06:12 PM
Great big thanks for all the encouragement and tips. Keep them coming as I am paying attention!

Still need to find a set of dies.

I found these pickings are slim for sure
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0004411101/223-remington-full-length-2-die-set

Ted_Feasel
08-18-2020, 06:22 PM
I found these pickings are slim for sure
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0004411101/223-remington-full-length-2-die-setRcbs is good enough but if you plan on loading for precision then save money and get forster, redding , LE wilson arbor press seaters (my favorite) rather than but migrate and then again later upgrade.. just my take

KMW1954
08-18-2020, 07:57 PM
Rcbs is good enough but if you plan on loading for precision then save money and get ......

Wonderful advice only I believe I am a long ways away from Precision Shooting that I have to worry about precision reloading. Then again there is always a chance that I will never progress that far.

Dave Hoback
08-18-2020, 09:44 PM
I’m a fan of Redding dies. But for 223, I just use a set of Lee. I’m loading for accuracy within magazine length for my AR. One of these days I’ll grab some Lapua or Norma brass and a some Redding dies to work up a MAX ACCURACY load. Just to single load in the AR. I did build this last AR for accuracy, besides reliability & toughness after all. But until then, the Lee’s will work fine. I’d wager those or the RCBS would do just fine with your 1/2” groups as well.

charlie b
08-18-2020, 09:55 PM
I've used Lee reloading presses, dies and bullet molds for 40 years and have not seen a reason to change yet.

One of these days I will have a barrel/cartridge that warrants a Forster sizing die and Wilson seating die. Not now.

1/2 moa will get food on the table, some nice deer stew, greenbeans ,.taters mmm

If I hunted that would make sense. I just shoot for fun. No competition, just me. I do have fun shooting next to the LEO tactical response team guys every now and then. They don't mind when a couple of us shoot 'against' them. Especially when we are old and fat :) And, I get a lot of good brass when they leave the range :)

KMW1954
08-18-2020, 10:30 PM
the Lee’s will work fine. I’d wager those or the RCBS would do just fine with your 1/2” groups as well.

1/2"! For right now I'll be happy Keeping them within 6" at 200yds. I'm a complete novice with a rifle. Luckily I can shoot 10 or so at 50yds. and if it goes well I can easily move to the 100yd range and start to build some control and trigger time.

charlie b
08-19-2020, 07:37 AM
Talk to the guys at the range about accuracy shooting. Many would be happy to help someone starting out. You can find out about different kinds of shooting equipment and techniques. Will probably save you hundreds of hours and maybe dollars going down the wrong 'rabbit hole.'

PS you may even get lucky and have someone 'loan' you some extra gear they have laying around.

KMW1954
08-19-2020, 07:50 AM
Charlie B trust me I'm watching a few of these guys like a hawk on a rabbit. One of the greatness's of guns, no one ever doesn't want to talk about the sport. Like fishermen until you ask them where their honey hole is. There are a great group of guys that shoot there quite regularly.

Yesterday I placed an order to Titan for 223 dies and a few other small items to defer the shipping cost.

KMW1954
08-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Another Up-date,

Took a trip to our local BPS today because I looked to see they did have a couple powders and bullets available to help me get started. Prices were not unreasonable either.

So what I found and purchased a 1# of Hodgdon BL-C2 and 1# of Ramshot TAC. The TAC wasn't on the website. Then for bullets I found Hornady Varmint 55gr Sp, one with a cannelure and one w/o. Also Hornady 68gr BTHP. Hope this will be a decent start. There was also a box of Nosler 60gr Partition but at this time I wasn't going to pay $32.00 for a box of 100 though I was tempted because I would like to try a 60gr bullet.

As of last night I have 140 PMC cases cleaned and sorted. I seem to have noticed 2 distinct headstamps so I sorted them that way also. Believe I will use these cases first and keep them together to track loads and to see how many loadings I get from them.

KMW1954
10-05-2020, 12:58 AM
Long overdue Update,

It has now been almost 8 weeks since I bought this rifle and I still haven't had a chance to shoot it, always one thing or another changing plans. One of those has been just too much work, days, hours being put in that my part time range job. Twice canceled because of b-day parties for the grandkids.

I have started loading using PMC brass, Hornady Varmint 55gr SP #2266 with CCI#41 primers and loaded with Ramshot TAC starting at 21.7, 22.0, 22.3, 22.6, 22.9gr.. Loaded up 20ea. at these charges. I still have the 68gr bullets and was able to purchase another 500 Hornady 62gr FMJ which should get me off to a good start.

Have also developed a servere case of the bends at work. Every time I see 223 brass laying on the ground I bend over and pick it up. I now have a whole bunch. Sorted out the PMC and CFL, PSD, and LC. The LC and PSD I also have sorted out by head stamp date. Much of this I also already have reamed and uniformed the primer pockets so I should be set for brass for awhile.

Ted_Feasel
10-05-2020, 08:51 AM
I've had keyhole success with 68gr pills.and very.close to the same with 62gr ss109 I.wish i could find a super supply of magnetic type .30 cal but seem when I do find them they are pull downs and ridiculously expemsive