PDA

View Full Version : Starting reloading for 223

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wbm
10-05-2020, 11:01 AM
Not expecting to put one round after another thru the same hole but it's nice to have a dream!

Good idea. If you took all the advice given you will walk out of a store looking like the OSHA cowboy of shooting. I don't shoot "pills" out of tubes or worry about how many "thou" I am off the lands but in all the years of loading and shooting the 223 simple components and techniques are as rewarding as any. A wealth of info and success stories here.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?13860-223-pet-loads-Lets-see-em

KMW1954
10-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Good idea. If you took all the advice given you will walk out of a store looking like the OSHA cowboy of shooting. I don't shoot "pills" out of tubes or worry about how many "thou" I am off the lands but in all the years of loading and shooting the 223 simple components and techniques are as rewarding as any. A wealth of info and success stories here.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?13860-223-pet-loads-Lets-see-em

wbm I have read thru that thread and found it very enlightening.

hardnosestreetcop
10-14-2020, 02:35 PM
I’ve found the PMC brass to be great. I have a batch of 100 (range pickups), that I’m on about the 5th load on. I shoot a lot of different brass (mostly range pickup, though I do have one lot of Lapua I use for special occasions), and I find the PMC I’ve picked up to be more consistent in weight than LC. Ndeck tension has been consistent, primer pockets are still tight. 223 is awesome to load for. It is a cheap (relatively) way to learn skills and gain knowledge that transfers well to larger calibers. They are also a blast to shoot, and easy to shoot well. Being easy to shoot well means they are easier to tell what is working and what is not on the reloading bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1 for PMC brass, I’ve got 5,000 in 308 Winchester and great quality. I would put on the same level with LC or IMI

charlie b
10-14-2020, 02:42 PM
The only .223 brass I have found that lasts more than 5 reloads is Lapua. The primer pockets loosen. My current batch is on load 12. But, I only shoot 69 and 77gn Sierra MatchKings.

KMW1954
10-15-2020, 05:51 PM
Finally got to shoot off the 100 PMC rounds I had loaded and have de-capped them already and they are in the wet tumbler. Will set these aside as a lot.