PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy issues, Rem 700

Pages : 1 [2]

cobptr
10-23-2020, 08:22 AM
I normally do shoot 4 shot groups with this rifle. Reason in my head was because that's what the mag holds. Probably wouldnt have a chance to reload a BDL in a hunting situation.
Wonder what the threshold met requirement for posting pics is? Even though I'm mostly a lurker, I've been a member on this forum for 5 years.

gbflyer
10-25-2020, 12:49 PM
Update:

I've been back to the range several times and could not duplicate the two groups with the Sierra 180 and Berger 185. Shotgun patterns all over again.
Found some major issues with the rifle that I've since corrected. Went out to the range again and the gun was shooting everything reasonably well for the first time during load testing.
But I think I found THE load.

168gr. Nosler Accubond LR. .020 jump
Starline Brass, CCI #200
Varget

The rifle is a Rem 700 Action
Schneider 1:9 twist, 22" barrel.
B&C Light Hunter Stock
I did do the Wyatt's extended box mod.

Well, looks like I can't post pics yet? But I was going to show you the rifle and my 3 shot @200yd, .228" group.
Guess you'll just have to trust me! :rolleyes:

Glad you sorted it out. If you quit teasing us about major issues and tell us what was wrong maybe the forum boss will let you post a pic[emoji1]

cobptr
10-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Not a big deal.
Front action screw was so long it had contact with the bolt lug.
Bedding job was ok, but this particular rifle did not like having the shank bedded. I cleared out the bedding on the sides and bottom of recoil lug while I was there.
My front pic rail screw was making contact with barrel.
Feeding with the factory box sucked. One, it only allowed for pretty deep seating depth, two, it only picked up the round half the time. Bolt stop and part of the action were milled to add the extended box and raise the rounds in the mag for picking up the round easier.
I think the shank bedding and long front action screw were doing the most damage to accuracy. Although having to start at .100 or more off the lands, depending on the bullet, didnt give me alot of room for load development options with higher powder charges.
Overall I learned alot about what to check for and I think it will help me in the future with what I learned, but it was kind of a PITA.

charlie b
10-27-2020, 07:07 AM
Congrats and glad you found the issues. Surprising what a few things can do to mess up the works.

FWIW, I've used Varget a LOT in my .308 (Savage BVSS) and it seems to work well. RL15 is next best for me but is more temp sensitive. 4166 is also supposed to work well and I have used it in my Garand, but, not the .308. My .308 seems to like lighter bullets better. For less expense I go with 168gn AMax bullets. To get the most out of the rifle I go to the 155gn ELD match bullets. They shoot under MOA at 1000yd.

Good luck with the hunts.

PS this server will not host your pics unless you donate to the cause. Otherwise you have to use a third party host. It is a pain, but, with a small forum it is not unusual.