PDA

View Full Version : Beginner seeking advice on a first press

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Orezona
10-29-2020, 10:48 PM
Is there a way to make the ignore list notifications disappear? Some Yum Guy in CO should go hang with 0302zero dude.

Fuj'
10-30-2020, 07:58 AM
That is is "National Champion Mike" to you....

Oh, when you quote him, it defeats me having him blocked.

There's always a flaw in the system. I was chuckling though when I
opened up a thread and it appeared nonsensical. It was rows of nothing !!
Then Robinhood had to break it's silence !!.....Dang Kids !!:behindsofa:

Let me reiterate....."ROCK CHUCKER" !!

Now just to add more fuel.....I punched up the phrase "Best selling reloading
Press". Of course I got back what we all expected in various ways, but one
stuck out I think I may study. What popped up was the Frankford Arsenal
M-Press Coaxial Reloading Press !!!!!

yobuck
10-30-2020, 08:33 AM
I have a T7 Redding and a Redding Boss, and i didnt pay $400 for the both of them.
I also have a RCBS Ammo Master for the very large cases and even that wasent $400 new.
I also bought a used Lyman Sparton C press used but as new for $20, and use it just for decapping because i like the way it catches the old primers.
There are lots of good options, and many of them can be bought for very little cash.
I have an old close friend and former hunting buddy who like me got old, very old, but he unlike me gave up everything and moved into a very expensive retirement community. No guns are permitted, so he is selling off all his guns etc. Complete reloading setup with an older RCBS Rockchucker.
And yes we cherry picked things like the Nightforce scopes.

As for being a record holder, thats about like a regular housewife becoming Queen for a day, but without the paper crown.

But big whoop on that, now go do it again tomorrow champ, that is if the other 2 shooters can make it.

charlie b
10-30-2020, 09:27 AM
Despite the responses to Mike I would think you guys would direct most of your ire toward me for saying the Lee APP is not such a bad choice.

For a guy who does not even know if he will continue to reload it will do the job. It may not last his lifetime, but, it may also surprise you. Many people said the Lee Turret press was a piece of junk when it came out. Mine is still going with it's second owner about 35years after I purchased it. The 'important' part of that press is still a steel ram running in a cast Aluminum base.

The only lee presses I consider light duty are the open frame ones. They are not high volume, IMHO. I would not use a Lee for competition bench rest, although I know at least one who did (100/200yd, not long range). No, he was not a national champion :)

JASmith
10-30-2020, 09:38 AM
If you are wanting high precision progressive anybrand is not the way to go. I admit my bias but I have forster single stage and k&m arbor press I use a combo of forster , LE wilson and hornady bushing dies.. just my 2 cents.. there are many good precision brands of loading equipment out there.. id definitely recommend the forster coax press to anyone

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
After owning and using several different single stage and turret presses, I found the Forster. It is the way to go!

Get a bench mounted priming tool too. Mine seem to be easier to use and more consistent than the hand held versions I have. The Forster,again, makes a lot of sense.

Ted_Feasel
10-30-2020, 02:35 PM
After owning and using several different single stage and turret presses, I found the Forster. It is the way to go!

Get a bench mounted priming tool too. Mine seem to be easier to use and more consistent than the hand held versions I have. The Forster,again, makes a lot of sense.I use the Frankford arsenal perfect prime. It has hard stop.so you don't crush primers and .001 increments adjusting and its built like a tank.. I have wanted to try the forster bench mount though

yobuck
10-30-2020, 04:46 PM
Despite the responses to Mike I would think you guys would direct most of your ire toward me for saying the Lee APP is not such a bad choice.

For a guy who does not even know if he will continue to reload it will do the job. It may not last his lifetime, but, it may also surprise you. Many people said the Lee Turret press was a piece of junk when it came out. Mine is still going with it's second owner about 35years after I purchased it. The 'important' part of that press is still a steel ram running in a cast Aluminum base.

The only lee presses I consider light duty are the open frame ones. They are not high volume, IMHO. I would not use a Lee for competition bench rest, although I know at least one who did (100/200yd, not long range). No, he was not a national champion :)
Its not about Lee Charlie, most of us are aware of what the Lee products are capable of doing, and have been doing for many decades.
I think most who have responded are just pointing out what the different options are, and their own opinion of what they own and use.
Bottom line is that for most of us we could just close our eyes and pick one that would work for us.
The biggest problem i see is the attitude , coupled with the big frog in the small pond approach Mike has.
But then E6 rank wont permit him to get away with that very often either.

charlie b
10-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Understood.

Ted, I started using my progressive for priming alone. I thought about a bench prime so thought I'd just try the press before buying another tool. I have almost as good a feel as I had with a hand primer and faster processing. It also has an adjustable hard stop on primer seating so the only issue that comes up is if a primer is flipped. Saved me some money :)

Ted_Feasel
10-30-2020, 05:53 PM
Understood.

Ted, I started using my progressive for priming alone. I thought about a bench prime so thought I'd just try the press before buying another tool. I have almost as good a feel as I had with a hand primer and faster processing. It also has an adjustable hard stop on primer seating so the only issue that comes up is if a primer is flipped. Saved me some money :)I have a hornady ap fully loaded. I use it for non precision ammo like 9mm, 357mag, 380acp, 38spc 44mag and it does priming for me. I does a really nice job.. took some time getting things tuned just right but after that, its very reliable. But for precision I love my forster for sure. The gentlemen thats just getting started and I think he's even stated he's not sure if its something he will keep doing.. probably for him the lee would be just fine.. although not a big fan of their dies

Robinhood
10-30-2020, 11:44 PM
Its not about Lee Charlie, most of us are aware of what the Lee products are capable of doing, and have been doing for many decades.
I think most who have responded are just pointing out what the different options are, and their own opinion of what they own and use.
Bottom line is that for most of us we could just close our eyes and pick one that would work for us.
The biggest problem i see is the attitude , coupled with the big frog in the small pond approach Mike has.
But then E6 rank wont permit him to get away with that very often either.

Eloquent

Fuj'
10-31-2020, 07:15 AM
Now just to add more fuel.....I punched up the phrase "Best selling reloading
Press". Of course I got back what we all expected in various ways, but one
stuck out I think I may study. What popped up was the Frankford Arsenal
M-Press Coaxial Reloading Press !!!!!

I did look this press up. It's showing just under $300 bucks. Seller on Flea Bay
had one for $169. It's something I just don't desire to have. Same as the Forster
or other Coax types. Just too many parts to make em' work, and no real advantage
overall, "in my opinion".

charlie b
10-31-2020, 06:14 PM
The only press that interests me other than a Lee is the Forster Coax.

Ted_Feasel
10-31-2020, 06:34 PM
The only press that interests me other than a Lee is the Forster Coax.They are extremely precise. Look up how it was designed.

JASmith
11-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Take a good look at the Redding T-7 turret press. I’ve been using it for all my reloading chores for 13 yrs. Best press in my opinion. No regrets.
I used the T-7 for many years and got four turrets so I could avoid adjusting dies every time I switched calibers.

...then I discovered the Forster. Die swapping is a breeze — pull out and plug in. The self-alignment feature is great!

Ted_Feasel
11-01-2020, 09:43 AM
I almost went with a turret for my handgun ammo but ended up just spending the money for a hornady AP fully loaded. Cost alot more by the time I got everything but its great for bulk ammo. I guessing at this point between the forster and k&m arbor for precision and AP for everything else a turret wouldn't do me any good unless I get one for backup

charlie b
11-01-2020, 10:54 AM
They are extremely precise. Look up how it was designed.

Yep. It appeals to my engineering background.

Fuj'
11-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Yep. It appeals to my engineering background.

As a tool maker, It had no appeal to me. Most think Forster engineered this
press but you need to go back in time to "Bonanza" the original. I'm not
knocking the press by no means other then if I picked one up, the shell holder
plate assembly would be dumpster bait and figure a way to set up a side
mounted lever to work like a standard single stage. Different strokes so to
speak, plus I never could leave S__t alone....:cool:

Orezona
11-01-2020, 05:32 PM
As a tool maker, It had no appeal to me. Most think Forster engineered this
press but you need to go back in time to "Bonanza" the original. I'm not
knocking the press by no means other then if I picked one up, the shell holder
plate assembly would be dumpster bait and figure a way to set up a side
mounted lever to work like a standard single stage. Different strokes so to
speak, plus I never could leave S__t alone....:cool:

I'm correct handed. I flip the short handle with my wrong hand and catch it with my right hand and complete the operation. Dang thing is smooth. Being mounted on an Inline Fabrication micro and using their lighting system. I can't imagine a better set up. I did go through a time where I converted it to regular shell holders. Then i went back. As you said, different strokes.

Side-note, my Dad uses a MEC Marksman with MEC's mount and it seems like a nice press.

Maybe I should start a thread called "Splain the price of a MEC Marksman to me."

Fuj, since I quoted you, I don't want to think I'm bashing you. I always appreciate your input. After all, I purchased a 24" 280AI barrel based on your input.

Fuj'
11-02-2020, 08:12 AM
I'm correct handed.

Fuj, since I quoted you, I don't want to think I'm bashing you. I always appreciate your input. After all, I purchased a 24" 280AI barrel based on your input.

No problem at all. Most posts should be where we incite new ideas,
and add to the progression of the thread. And I do like a little humor
now and then. I would like to find an older Bonanza in leu of the more
expensive Forster. It would make a dandy Bottle capper for the Mead
I'm fermenting.....:very_drunk:

Three44s
11-18-2020, 06:36 AM
I have a lot of presses and have been loading for 45 years this month.

My center stage press is a Redding Boss (single stage).

I would not buy the Lee APP for a stand alone reloading press for rifle rounds. It simply is not designed for that. It is a press aimed at fast processing for certain repetitive chores. You could squeeze it into that role but it’s not built heavy enough for the job. I think of it as a sort of Volks Wagon of a press.

I would buy a quality single stage press, first. I have wanted a Co Ax for many years and just never connected, it is more of a wants vs needs thing because I produce very good ammo without it.

I started with an RCBS Jr (non compound single stage) and still have it.

What would I recommend?

I would buy either the Lee Classic Cast Single stage or the RCBS Rockchucker, period.

I own the Lee Classic Cast Turret and think the world of it but I would still recommend a good solid single stage cast iron compound single stage for rifle shooting when the range gets stretched out.

The Co Ax is a great press and you can opt for it as a first press but on a budget? Not so much. I also caution you on the issue of leverage with the CoAx. If you have a good muscle press already the Co Ax will fill in nicely but if you get into some real big rounds as your super long range itch intensifies you might be grunting. Not with a Lee CCT or the Chucker.

The two cartridges you are playing with or eyeing would be fine on a CoAx and that bullet alignment issue would be put at ease but not to rest. The dies and brass you use will often Trump a choice in press so long as it’s a quality unit. But really, to consider a Lee APP in one breath and a Co Ax in the next breath defies logic. The price spread is so obvious.

AND if you are really going to be competitive in target shooting then hand dies are in your future rather than a Co Ax press. Buy the Co Ax if you can afford it and realize you may need more leverage or throat opening later on but forget the Lee APP for a stand alone do all press.

Speaking of dies, I would team up a Lee Classic cast or Rock Chucker with Hornady New Dimension FL die set PLUS the Lee Collet neck sizer die. Full length with the Hornady when you have to, but the bulk of the time just neck size with the Collet die and seat with the Hornady seater die. Throw in the Redding body die for rounding out your package. Next step up would be a bushing die set. You have to decide how much money you want to spend in that arena however. Rest assured for an economical neck die, the Lee Collet sized die has no peer. For a small charge Lee will sell you a different sizer mandrel if you desire. I did that for a .22-250 after I took up outside neck turning with it.

As for Savage rifles, they do not look like beauty queens but they do shoot like sin. I like the adaptability and do my barrel swaps. If I get a drop dead cartridge combo, I tend to gravitate towards a Rem 700 in that number, or a CZ or a Browning but make no mistake, the Savages shoot! Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Three44s