PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Brass by Weight

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mikeinco
10-23-2020, 12:36 PM
you are correct. it is not about a NUMBER,
it is about them all being the SAME

I think ya'll are getting lost in the weeds, here. As a hobby machinist, I have plenty of mics and calipers, but I really don't see the need for measuring to .0001". My digital caliper reads to 4 decimal places, but I treat that 4th digit as a +/-, and round up or down to the next thousandth. Serious question, what possible difference does it make if your case length differs by a thou? Even shooting long range, I find it hard to believe it's going to matter at the target, especially with all the other variables involved. Later.

Dave

Robinhood
10-23-2020, 07:00 PM
Hahaha.....Daved20319. The .0001" consistent measurement intrigued me. I worked in a precision grind shop for about 15 years with .0001" being critical on many jobs most often certified gauges. Quality measuring tools and indicators designed for that level of accuracy is important. I had to ask the question as I had never considered .0001" being critical on a cartridge. Chamber to bore alignment yes. Primer pocket depth....Wow.

Ted_Feasel
10-23-2020, 07:11 PM
Hahaha.....Daved20319. The .0001" consistent measurement intrigued me. I worked in a precision grind shop for about 15 years with .0001" being critical on many jobs most often certified gauges. Quality measuring tools and indicators designed for that level of accuracy is important. I had to ask the question as I had never considered .0001" being critical on a cartridge. Chamber to bore alignment yes. Primer pocket depth....Wow.Or the shaft of a lathe or drill press:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
10-23-2020, 07:14 PM
Or the shaft of a lathe or drill press:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk.0001 of play on a bearing, depending on shart length can equal terrible wobble. Hornady constantly stops production if the find a machine running .0001 out of spec

Ted_Feasel
10-23-2020, 07:15 PM
Or the shaft of a lathe or drill press:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkLmfao shart length[emoji28][emoji1787][emoji23]

Robinhood
10-23-2020, 10:12 PM
.0001 of play on a bearing, depending on shart length can equal terrible wobble. Hornady constantly stops production if the find a machine running .0001 out of spec

Really? Interesting.

JeepsAndGuns
10-26-2020, 12:37 PM
All I can add to this is the following:
I have and use quickload as a helpful tool to see how load may perform. In quickload you can enter in the internal case capacity of the brass you are using. It is very interesting seeing how much this can effect chamber pressures.

I measure the internal capacity of all the brass I use. I have found the weight of the brass does not have any correlation to the internal capacity.
I have had brass that has varied a good bit on the weights, but have very consistent internal capacities, while at the same time, had brass that had very consistent weights, but have very inconsistent internal capacities.

Ted_Feasel
10-26-2020, 01:32 PM
All I can add to this is the following:
I have and use quickload as a helpful tool to see how load may perform. In quickload you can enter in the internal case capacity of the brass you are using. It is very interesting seeing how much this can effect chamber pressures.

I measure the internal capacity of all the brass I use. I have found the weight of the brass does not have any correlation to the internal capacity.
I have had brass that has varied a good bit on the weights, but have very consistent internal capacities, while at the same time, had brass that had very consistent weights, but have very inconsistent internal capacities.Thats good info. Ive never really done a deep dive into capacity vs weight

mikeinco
10-26-2020, 05:05 PM
i have
and i find the comment strange.
if it is quality brass( as in not win/mil etc) then if the outside is to spec and the weight is the same,vol normally follows.
oot does not when the brass quality is suspect...outside varies. lot to lot variation.
size the brass so the outside is the same( of the extraction groove is not cut well this can be a big issue)
trim to length...reduces weight not useable volume
turn necks reduces weight, not volume
deburr internal flash hole( tyically not required on quality brass, small weigth/vol change)
uniform primer pockets reduces weight/no vol change...maybe wait til after 1st firing, pockets can move

Thats good info. Ive never really done a deep dive into capacity vs weight

Ted_Feasel
10-26-2020, 05:11 PM
i have
and i find the comment strange.
if it is quality brass( as in not win/mil etc) then if the outside ia to spec and the weight is the same,vol normally follows.
it does not when the brass quality is suspect...outside varies. lit ti lit variation.
size the brass so the outside is the same( of the extraction groove is not cut well this can be a big issue)
trim to length...reduces weight not useable volume
turn necks reduces weight, not volume
deburr internal flash hole( tyically not required on quality brass, small weigth/vol change)
uniform primer pockets reduces weight/no vol change...maybe wait til after 1st firing, pockets can moveThats what ive always assume that with quality brass weight and volume should be pretty close or negligible difference.

Fuj'
10-27-2020, 08:50 AM
In my years of weighing cases, it has been a mixed bag. Yes I have
found cases weighing differently with about the same capacity. That
usually means the brass is thicker to the outside somewhere or less
material was removed during the rimming process. Now comes the
problem !! If the brass is thicker to the outside, you squeeze it in if
using a FL die, thus making the internal capacity less. I never sort
cases until they have been once fired, sized and trimmed. It's my
routine that works for me.

I had a few cases that were way to heavy against the main lot. The
real heavy ones I will slide them into a shell holder and rock them back
and forth. You'll know real quick if the rim area is oversize. My Sinclair
hand primer is another indicator. For good reason they kept the shell
holder slot tight. Out of 50 cases I can get at least 2 or 3 cases that
will not slide in. These will weigh heavy

Ted_Feasel
10-27-2020, 11:14 AM
In my years of weighing cases, it has been a mixed bag. Yes I have
found cases weighing differently with about the same capacity. That
usually means the brass is thicker to the outside somewhere or less
material was removed during the rimming process. Now comes the
problem !! If the brass is thicker to the outside, you squeeze it in if
using a FL die, thus making the internal capacity less. I never sort
cases until they have been once fired, sized and trimmed. It's my
routine that works for me.

I had a few cases that were way to heavy against the main lot. The
real heavy ones I will slide them into a shell holder and rock them back
and forth. You'll know real quick if the rim area is oversize. My Sinclair
hand primer is another indicator. For good reason they kept the shell
holder slot tight. Out of 50 cases I can get at least 2 or 3 cases that
will not slide in. These will weigh heavyYeah it would be nice if someone could master case size and dimensions, weight etc.. wonder what would happen if cases were extruded in zero gravity lol

Robinhood
10-28-2020, 08:35 AM
I use 21st century uniformer and case holder for my le wilson

Nice little tool. I use a Holland carbide cutter in my drill but I may have to try this adjustable one out.

Primer Pocket Uniformer

http://nebula.wsimg.com/8f7d5d0cc31c9b40120caf08a4d7c781?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/bd462d0409cd4bf0398e22e07a8aead5?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/6ae85a20cb25219a15850437602bba9d?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Depth Adjustable Primer Pocket Uniformer with Carbide Cutter

Calibrated .001 GRAD.

Easy set + or - .0002 and maintain depth

Uniforms large and small primer pockets, simply switch ends on the precision ground carbide cutter.

Ted_Feasel
10-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Nice little tool. I use a Holland carbide cutter in my drill but I may have to try this adjustable one out.

Primer Pocket Uniformer

http://nebula.wsimg.com/8f7d5d0cc31c9b40120caf08a4d7c781?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/bd462d0409cd4bf0398e22e07a8aead5?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/6ae85a20cb25219a15850437602bba9d?AccessKeyId=D665A A0C95BD1D877538&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Depth Adjustable Primer Pocket Uniformer with Carbide Cutter

Calibrated .001 GRAD.

Easy set + or - .0002 and maintain depth

Uniforms large and small primer pockets, simply switch ends on the precision ground carbide cutter.

Yes, I love the 21st century. It won't slip in your chuck either or you can put it in any driver handle

mikeinco
10-28-2020, 11:00 AM
IMHO
adjustable is not a good idea
just cut to spec with a fixed depth carbide tool( sinclair)

Ted_Feasel
10-28-2020, 11:17 AM
IMHO
adjustable is not a good idea
just cut to spec with a fixed depth carbide tool( sinclair)I would have to disagree respectfully about the 21st century,, I've been using the 21st century for awhile and it has never floated on me, it has a jam nut that you snug down and it will stay put but I definitely would agree the way you suggesting would be a good stable way as well and probably cost less:)

blvedere
11-07-2020, 01:52 PM
I have two of these . One is set for small rifle primer and one is set for large rifle primers. I have used them for years and they have not changed.

mikeinco
11-07-2020, 04:16 PM
SO LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION
why buy an adjustable tool if you never adjust it ?a fixed tool is cheaper and never moves
i do not understand the logic. there is a primer pocket spec..its why the make fixed tools.

I would have to disagree respectfully about the 21st century,, I've been using the 21st century for awhile and it has never floated on me, it has a jam nut that you snug down and it will stay put but I definitely would agree the way you suggesting would be a good stable way as well and probably cost less:)

Ted_Feasel
11-07-2020, 04:56 PM
SO LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION
why buy an adjustable tool if you never adjust it ?a fixed tool is cheaper and never moves
i do not understand the logic. there is a primer pocket spec..its why the make fixed tools.
.1250 is the min correct? I've never bought a batch be it lapua or other that has had a primer pocket that had enough that I could take to .1250, ive always had to go through the batch and find the closest then I just set it .001 deeper. Don't get me wrong, if just having a fixed length works for you then heck yeah.. but basically I put them all (virgin brass to .1300 ) then after I fire it once or twice then it comes out enough I can usually get a majority to .1250.. I reckon I could do the same thing just having 2 seperate ones at x and y depth.

mikeinco
11-07-2020, 05:58 PM
i said once before. i do not do primer pockets before firing the case.
pockets move
best to let them settle then uniform.
so you pockets are cut OUT OF SPEC ??
i use the tools as they come, ppc, small and large rifle.
why do sill list 4 places for pockets, nearly no one can measure a pocket to 4 places most have issues with 3

.1250 is the min correct? I've never bought a batch be it lapua or other that has had a primer pocket that had enough that I could take to .1250, ive always had to go through the batch and find the closest then I just set it .001 deeper. Don't get me wrong, if just having a fixed length works for you then heck yeah.. but basically I put them all (virgin brass to .1300 ) then after I fire it once or twice then it comes out enough I can usually get a majority to .1250.. I reckon I could do the same thing just having 2 seperate ones at x and y depth.