PDA

View Full Version : Replacing recoil lug and barrel nut

Pages : 1 2 [3]

shaffe48
01-11-2021, 03:52 PM
Actually I can also say that I just took out my existing lug and measured it with a pair of reloading calipers to find at the points that they barrel and lug contact there only seems to be a max difference of .001 (so +-.0005). On the corners there is more variance but still only +-.001 total for the entire lug.

I now wonder would a machined lug actually be any better at all? One benefit might be the addition of the alignment pin which I'm now worried about.

Orezona
01-11-2021, 04:11 PM
The nss lug does not fit the accustock.

It doesn't fit the Accufit Accustock, this is whey I suggested giving him a call. Glad it worked out for you, keep us posted on your results.

shaffe48
01-11-2021, 04:37 PM
It doesn't fit the Accufit Accustock, this is whey I suggested giving him a call. Glad it worked out for you, keep us posted on your results.

I talked to him when I ordered my barrel. He said to use the current lug. I've read on this forum that someone from this business suggested to someone to modify the stock to fit the lug. To me this isn't acceptable. If I modify something it's going to be the $20 part not the $200 stock.
(But if it's for you then it's for you.)

I'm still uncertain what I'm going to do. Is the machined lug from ptg really going to outdo my current +-.0005? Is this alignment pin going to help? I mean the pins look smaller than the notch anyways and I already can see the outline of the notch on my current lug.

GrenGuy
01-13-2021, 07:09 AM
I could go into something long winded here but I don’t want to. So let’s attempt to put Your mind at ease. You have measured Your current lug and it is certainly accurate enough for Your stated shooting purpose. You have asked the advice of a very knowledgeable and helpful person, and he suggested using the lug you have. I agree. Put Your rifle together and start shooting. The target will tell You if something is wrong. And I’m willing to bet right now it won’t be the recoil lug.

Getting more long winded, for Your(big game) hunting purpose, You only need to hit a 10” pie plate at what ever distance You are shooting. Easily achievable. For 500 yard target, that kind of accuracy gets boring fast. A hunting rifle is a hunting rifle and a target rifle is a target rifle. I and others here have been where You are. Put Your rifle together and go have fun. Your targets will tell You what You want to do next.

I could go on but hopefully this is enough :( JMO