PDA

View Full Version : I've tried to learn to love the Target Accutrigger but I just can't

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Orezona
02-03-2021, 01:08 PM
Since I can't spend it on reloading components I may as well spend it elsewhere. :thumb:

We should each get one. Then we would both have crappy triggers...

We should start a new thread, "Please Send Your Awful Accu-Triggers Here." They are so bad we need you to pay the shipping. You Are Welcome...

Sorry, I forgot to tell the OP to PM me. I have cash.

justinp61
02-04-2021, 04:33 PM
I have three centerfire rifles with them and I removed the one on my .22 rimfire. The one on my FVSS is pretty good, the other two a mdl 10 and 16 not so much.

charlie b
02-04-2021, 09:54 PM
Probably the reason the one on the FVSS is nicer is because that is the Varmint version of the accutrigger. And your other two rifles probably have the std version.

IIRC, the std version has a lower limit of 2.5lb, the varmint is 1.5lb and the target is 0.5lb. The target triggers have the red blade.

shaffe48
02-04-2021, 10:27 PM
Id put myself in line to take some of the unwanted accutrigger but I'm not sure if they would fit my earlier version 110 rifles. Id prefer the cruddy 2.5 lb standard variety.

AbitNutz
02-06-2021, 06:11 PM
I've been PM'd by more than a few folks offering to take my old triggers off my hands...I may take you up on those offers but I have to shoot the rifle first!

First things first. I got the Elfmann trigger about an hour ago. It took me all off 2 minutes to install it. I removed the e-clip, pulled the retaining pin. I inserted the roller bearing trigger in and put the bolt through and tightened down the nut. That was it. Nothing else required. It was the easiest install of a trigger ever.

I tested it to make sure it worked , it did. I then began reducing trigger trigger pull by unscrewing the set screw. I unscrewed it all the way. I put the rifle back in the stock and installed the trigger shoe of choice, you get two, flat and curved. You can position the shoe at any height. I then tested the rifle for slam fire. The rifle would not slam fire under any circumstance.

The trigger is now single stage and very crisp. I'll get my trigger gauge out and test it for weight of pull and post them but it feels as light as my Target Accutrigger did.

Here are some points about the trigger:
1: Single stage
2: Reasonably crisp let off, not like glass but pretty good.
3: Seemingly low pull weight (could be higher but seem lower due to large trigger shoe?)
4: Adjustable height trigger shoe
5: (Not true. I didn't tighten it enough) Floating trigger shoe. It pivots up and down with your finger. I think I will like that...maybe. If not, I'll find a way to lock it.
6: Choice of flat of curved shoe.
7: Very solid, no slop, surprisingly heavy, roller bearing, steel arm and pins.
8: Price, $139.00 from Optics Planet plus free shipping and another 10% off when you dig for a coupon code
9: Idiot proof install. I mean really idiot proof.
10: It is very safe. Tried to set it off and failed.
11: It is not the end all and be all of triggers. It is good but not uber fantastic.

I believe it could be made lighter if you replaced their spring with one of your own. It could be easily done but you might risk the safety aspect of this trigger. I think this trigger may feel lighter than it actually will measure due to the enormous trigger shoe, which is fine with me.

Once I get out and test it I'll be back with additional info but so far for less than $140.00 delivered and tax I think it's a reasonable value, not a screamin' crazy deal but one I'm happy with after seeing it.

I'll post the weight I get from my Wheeler digital trigger gauge some time tonight.

I'll whip up some ammo using using 230 grain Sierra HPBT's with Norma brass and Retumbo, which is the only powder I have that reloading my manual says will work, I don't have much of any experience with 300 PRC. I usually shoot 300 RUM so I ordered a Bartlein barrel in 300 RUM that may get here in my lifetime. God they make wonderful barrels. I mention this because 300 PRC anything is difficult to come by and I see no advantage over 300 RUM.

Sorry about running off at the mouth.

AbitNutz
02-06-2021, 08:08 PM
I used my Wheeler digital trigger gauge and without readjusting it I came up with 1lb 9oz pull. I believe it would go lighter but that is just the first attempt. The info says it will go down to 1lb 4oz and I believe that to be true. I didn't turn the set screw all the way out because I didn't want to loctite it yet. Also, it seems lighter than 1lb 9oz. The large trigger shoe, at least to me, does makes it feel lighter.

One thing really did stand out was the consistency. I ran 22 consecutive pulls and almost all were all at that 1lb 9oz mark. There were no weird high or low pulls which are not at all uncommon. This trigger seems to be very consistent. Now this could change if I try to dial it down.

I was wrong about the trigger pivoting. That was me just not tightening it enough to lock it in place....hey, it seemed tight.

Smokey262
02-06-2021, 10:59 PM
Thanks for taking the plunge for us :) Would you please post closeup pics of both sides of the installed trigger?

Robinhood
02-07-2021, 01:04 AM
Even working the bolt release is smoother with it vs. the accutrigger.

:o... Really? Why do you think that is?

Texas10
02-07-2021, 10:27 AM
I've purchased several Target Accutriggers off the classifieds on this site, and replaced the varmint Accutriggers on all my Savage rifles used for target only. All break under 6 oz and one is so light it doesn't even budge the Wheeler gage off zero. 1lb 6oz is a varmint trigger break point so I find myself questioning if you really have a target trigger, unless that reference is in regard to another trigger.

Some websites sell "target trigger springs" that are advertised to imply that installing one of these springs converts a accutrigger to a target accutrigger. In reality they make a standard accutrigger into a varmint accutrigger with a lower break point of 1.5 lbs. They do not make it into a target accutrigger.

You may want to have a look at your trigger sear. A Target Accutrigger has a dimple pressed into the metal just under the thumb release. If you purchased a trigger that does not have this dimple, you don't have a target sear. This can happen easily as those upgrading to aftermarket triggers often have to retain the sear from the old target trigger, so when purchasing a used Target Accutrigger one should always ask for a photo the sear and look for that dimple. I'll post a clarifying picture later today once I get out to my shop.

AbitNutz
02-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Thanks for taking the plunge for us :) Would you please post closeup pics of both sides of the installed trigger?

OK, I'll get some pics and post them tonight

geezerhood
02-07-2021, 01:39 PM
Just curious how long you tried using the Accutrigger? The safety factor is a huge plus, but I would still like the two stage pull even if it wasn't a safety device.

It took me a few months to get used to them, but now I prefer them over any other Savage aftermarket trigger other than the SSS I have on my single shot, small thread, long action that I picked it up on Gunbroker several decades ago. The seller didn't mention that it had the SSS trigger on it so I was pleasantly surprised to find it there.

AbitNutz
02-07-2021, 01:45 PM
I've purchased several Target Accutriggers off the classifieds on this site, and replaced the varmint Accutriggers on all my Savage rifles used for target only. All break under 6 oz and one is so light it doesn't even budge the Wheeler gage off zero. 1lb 6oz is a varmint trigger break point so I find myself questioning if you really have a target trigger, unless that reference is in regard to another trigger.

Some websites sell "target trigger springs" that are advertised to imply that installing one of these springs converts a accutrigger to a target accutrigger. In reality they make a standard accutrigger into a varmint accutrigger with a lower break point of 1.5 lbs. They do not make it into a target accutrigger.

You may want to have a look at your trigger sear. A Target Accutrigger has a dimple pressed into the metal just under the thumb release. If you purchased a trigger that does not have this dimple, you don't have a target sear. This can happen easily as those upgrading to aftermarket triggers often have to retain the sear from the old target trigger, so when purchasing a used Target Accutrigger one should always ask for a photo the sear and look for that dimple. I'll post a clarifying picture later today once I get out to my shop.

You' don't have to defend the Target Accutrigger. Although you've done a very eloquent job in doing so. I do have Target Accutriggers. They came on my Savage single shot all stainless Target Action dual port and my recent purchase of the Elite Precision in 300 PRC with the MDT chassis. I believe that the Target Accutrigger is a good trigger and can, as you have shown, be lowered to extremely light let off's. The fact that the Accutrigger in general and the Target Accutrigger in particular are are so good is the reason there are so few alternatives. However, (there's always a however or a but isn't there?) this doesn't get rid of the safety blade of the double stage feel. This is not my preference on rifles or pistols. I just don't like it. Some do, some can can get used to it. I haven't been able to.

geezerhood
02-07-2021, 02:31 PM
I just don't like it. Some do, some can can get used to it. I haven't been able to.

Maybe try hypnotherapy? (Joking....)

I have owned Glocks since 1990. Despite those many years of using various models, I still don't like the trigger.....so I have an idea as to where you are coming from on the Accu.

AbitNutz
02-07-2021, 03:25 PM

I have owned Glocks since 1990. Despite those many years of using various models, I still don't like the trigger.....so I have an idea as to where you are coming from on the Accu.

It's almost a phobia with me. I wanted one of those Ruger 57's in 5.7x28 but it has the Glock style trigger. Not to mention that the trigger does truly suck. I've seen videos that say it doesn't. I can only say that those people either have a vastly different trigger or they have no idea what a good trigger is. Anyway, a company called Tandemkross came out with replacement. Not only does it completely do away with it, it actually improves it. It's not great but it's an order of magnitude better than what it was, even accounting for the blade dingus. So now I'm a happy owner of a Ruger 57. It's such a thing with me that I make sure that either the rifle/pistol doesn't have a dingus trigger or that there is a reasonable replacement before I buy one. Yeah, I know it's a little crazy.

Newtosavage
02-09-2021, 09:22 PM

Gotta agree with you on the Glock triggers. I have a relatively inexpensive S&W SD-40 with an aftermarket trigger on it that I like much, much more than the Glock I carried for years.

But I am an Accutrigger fan. I like the "two" stage aspect, the safety margin, and for my purposes (hunting) they are perfectly fine. Actally, better than "fine." They are damn good for a stock trigger.

GrenGuy
02-13-2021, 04:42 PM
AbitNutz, You pushed Me over the edge. My Elftmann Trigger just arrived :(

Stand by for evaluation ... GG

AbitNutz
02-13-2021, 05:38 PM
AbitNutz, You pushed Me over the edge. My Elftmann Trigger just arrived :(

Stand by for evaluation ... GG

I hope your happy with it. I'm satisfied with mine. It's not a TriggerTech but it's not bad and I'm good with it. You'll laugh at how easy it is to install.

GrenGuy
02-13-2021, 10:09 PM
You’ll laugh when You hear this. After 14 years of dealing with almost every type of Savage trigger there is, I got in a hurry this afternoon and the Sear Spring went flying across the garage. It will be a miracle or a gift from St Anthony if I ever see it again. Praise the Lord, Numrich has them in stock. There will be a slight delay.

longbarrel
02-14-2021, 03:21 PM
:o... Really? Why do you think that is?
if you don't keep pressure on the trigger after getting the sear release, the surface of the top of the trigger assembly is smoother, at least on mine.

Robinhood
02-15-2021, 01:37 AM
if you don't keep pressure on the trigger after getting the sear release, the surface of the top of the trigger assembly is smoother, at least on mine.

I never even noticed it. With the Sav2 or the SSS trigger. You may be on to something. I need to check that out.