PDA

View Full Version : Elftmann Savage Trigger

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dave Hoback
08-07-2023, 11:21 AM
I wish I could comment on the Elfman but I can't. I chased all the brands but this one,
and put the stock red blade back in. I did keep the heavier Timney's for other projects.
I guess maybe it's just that the stock trigger works so well for me in a heavy gun. I just
wish I would have put that money elsewhere, but you never know till you try something.
I did not post up the Pa, Tack Driver Lite match yet but of the 48 shooters, I was in the
top 10 early on then the winds struck and struck hard. Two of my 5 relays were a complete
disaster with shots in the 8 and 7 rings. Wind was some of the worst I've seen. I did manage
a 28 out of 48.....First relay, I was shooting 7/8th" groups with that stock trigger in light wind.
One thing about triggers.....Even a 2 ounce Jewel sucks in heavy wind !! Note.....2 of the
range windsocks are rated for 17 mph. After the first relay, they were stretched straight out
and switching directions frantically. The poles they were mounted on were leaning !!!!

Was waiting to hear about that Fuj’. Wow..Brutal wind. And, yeah, the wind doesn’t care WHAT trigger is used; it really does make things a game of “chance” over skill. Still, sounds like you did well all things considered. More importantly, did you enjoy yourself regardless? I couldn’t agree more with your sentiment on aftermarket triggers. Luckily, because trigger setup was the first thing I learned over 2 decades ago, the attitude of modify over buy really stuck with me. So I at least haven’t wasted money chasing the “perfect” aftermarket trigger. Instead, I’ve wasted that money on other items, LOL!

Fuj'
08-07-2023, 02:15 PM
More importantly, did you enjoy yourself regardless?

Mixed feelings on it. I shot my short game rifle that I did not intend to. The SA284 wildcat
I had planned on is still not finished, and was being built for this particular match, knowing
that the conditions at this particular range can get rough. It's kinda like bowling with a 16lb.
ball to knock the pins down, but tournament day comes and there is only a 12 lb, ball to work
with. It is what it is and ya' gotta' keep steppin'.....

charlie b
08-07-2023, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear Fuj, but, glad you started out well.

I'd consider 7's and 8's to be a great day in the wind. :)

Dave Hoback
08-08-2023, 12:27 PM
Mixed feelings on it. I shot my short game rifle that I did not intend to. The SA284 wildcat
I had planned on is still not finished, and was being built for this particular match, knowing
that the conditions at this particular range can get rough. It's kinda like bowling with a 16lb.
ball to knock the pins down, but tournament day comes and there is only a 12 lb, ball to work
with. It is what it is and ya' gotta' keep steppin'.....

Sorry for that my friend... I know you were excited about your new wildcat 284. I was looking forward to seeing its use. BTW, what’s the problem with it? Not being ready I mean?

Fuj'
08-08-2023, 06:21 PM
Sorry for that my friend... I know you were excited about your new wildcat 284. I was looking forward to seeing its use. BTW, what’s the problem with it? Not being ready I mean?

New 3 groove Lilja needs chambered and crowned. I pulled the Brux as it had it's day and wanted
to start fresh for the season.....My lathe is down for bearing replacements. Gunsmith buddy of mine
closed shop to relocate, and his lathe is still not wired up. The guy that bought his old lathe
and promised to help out, backed out at the last minute for reasons unknown. He's on my sh1t list.
and knows it. My SA284 shoots. I've won with it in Unlimited UBR and made AAA at Ridgway's VBR
match first time out and in bad weather.....I just need some patience, and it is what it is.

As for triggers ?? I put a Timney 10 ounce in a CZ-457 22lr. It was the simplest install I have ever
done on any rifle.

GrenGuy
08-08-2023, 07:11 PM
Fuj, I’m thinking Your SA284 could be competitive out to 600 yards. Yes or No ?

Maybe if You installed an Elftmann Trigger modified to 8 ounces You could put all of those SA284’s in the x ring ??

Whada Ya Think !!!

Fuj'
08-09-2023, 05:50 AM
Fuj, I’m thinking Your SA284 could be competitive out to 600 yards. Yes or No ?

Maybe if You installed an Elftmann Trigger modified to 8 ounces You could put all of those SA284’s in the x ring ??

Whada Ya Think !!!

Never pursued long range paper, but shot a lot of steel out to a thousand. Best group out of the SA284 with
183 gr SMK's is .670" in dead calm wind at 500 yards with the stock trigger at 15 ounces, 22 lb rifle, 30" Brux.
Going to try a Lilja this time around.

What's the X-Ring size at 600, and rifle limits ?? I have friends that shoot down in your region and over in
Williamsport that always bug me about it. You may have met Shelly and Steve Brennen. For the time being
I'm more of a short range score shooter favoring UBR 100, 200, and 300.

GrenGuy
08-09-2023, 06:38 PM
Fuj, the x ring in IBS 600yd is 1.180” (My measurement, not offical). With Your.284, You “could”shoot a 1.464” group and score a 50-5x. As You know, the AGG is everything in competition. But Your Wildcat could be the next new thing. Would love to see what it can do in a 600yd. Match. Will be watching You, regardless.

Shelly and Steve sound familiar, but I can’t place them at the moment. You may have run into Fred and Jim Cali? They are more up Your way, and they shoot various venues.

Saw Your Anderson Creek post. Fun stuff Huh !!!

edit: IBS & GBA Light Gun is 17#’s. Heavy Gun is Unlimited.

edit: Fuj, it turns out we have at least one shooting friend in common. Jack Balon! Most people in this game are great folks, and Jack is one of the best. He has helped Me out immensely. Not to mention, He is one fantastic competitor. When You run into the bugman, tell Him “hello” from the Rat Rifle!
You have to be beaming with pride over that Grandson of Yours !!!

Scttschnd
10-10-2023, 10:31 AM
I have an Elftman trigger for my Axis II Precision, got light primer hits with it. Would not fire. Put the OEM trigger back in and it works. Was not happy with this so it the bag in the drawer it sits.

Dave Hoback
10-10-2023, 03:25 PM
I have an Elftman trigger for my Axis II Precision, got light primer hits with it. Would not fire. Put the OEM trigger back in and it works. Was not happy with this so it the bag in the drawer it sits.

Yes, we had discussed your situation before Scott. Look, I’m not a fan of the Elftmann personally, but your situation is due to your limited understanding of the trigger function. The Sear is binding on the trigger, which is slowing its travel. It’s likely due to too little overtravel, as was mentioned. That’s all. This is easily fixed, again, with expert knowledge of trigger/Sear function. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked for you. I still prefer my modified Accutriggers over anything else.

Edit: one other thing I realized, people don’t like buying products only to find things need to be modified. It’s not expected in these times. But understand, while we have the luxury of Prefit barrel & such, Savages are not AR15’s or Glocks! Things don’t always go perfectly and may need a bit of fitting or modification. You know, years ago when I started building 1911’s, an aftermarket Trigger, Sear, Disconnector & Hammer are purchased, then each piece would need hand fit to function correctly. So ya have to spend like $200 in parts, and then either know how to or pay a Gunsmith to install the parts. There were virtually no Prefit parts for the 1911 years ago. I just think sometimes it’s expectations which are the problem.