PDA

View Full Version : is there a allen or torx replacement for the original slot head action screws?

greyling
07-05-2021, 09:08 PM
I have a gen 1 blind magazine savage 110 that has slot head scews. They aren't completely stripped, but the wrong screwdriver has been used more than once and they are wallered out some. is there a allen or torx replacement for the original slot head action screws? These have a crowned, domed looking head.

a picture has been uploaded here https://ibb.co/album/1sZvRk

Robinhood
07-05-2021, 09:43 PM
Private Message me your action screw lengths and I will send you some that I machined the heads to .375, unless your heads are larger and I will send you some with the standard size head.

Th ones I have will be flat not semi countersunk. If you have the head diameter that would be good. I am sure they will work.

EDIT: I dont think it will work on that cover.

greyling
07-05-2021, 10:02 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I agree with your edit, I think they need to be semi-countersunk crown heads for the cover. Now, I don't know if the bottom cover can be replaced with a detachable mag or not. It's already something of a franken-gun. an original savage with the different bolt head, with the bolt head and body replaced with a modern style to be mated to a new savage barrel, all sitting in a weatherby styled fajen stock. Front action screw OAL is 1.2785", the rear is 1.592. heads are .366" in diameter, as drawn in here https://ibb.co/fCZb9wS

Robinhood
07-05-2021, 10:05 PM
Went looking for them and I found the trigger guard screw at numrich. The front screw was out of stock.
Link in blue.

Floorplate Screw, Rear, New (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/139730G)

Product #: 139730G
Part Key: 70

greyling
07-05-2021, 10:29 PM
https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/trigger-guard-screws/ these would work too I think, I was just hoping to find a torx or hex head. you know, a better screw.

Robinhood
07-06-2021, 12:15 AM
I could not find anything like you need, the countersink angle, in a hex or torx. If I had a small machine here I could do it but I don't. sorry bro. I think the Forster is worth a try. Buy two sets.

sharpshooter
07-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Use Remington screws.....

yobuck
07-06-2021, 12:26 PM
Use Remington screws.....
Cost for the Rem screws 2 bucks.
Cost for knowing the right screws? lol

Dave Hoback
07-06-2021, 03:49 PM
Yup! Here ya go. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/trigger-guard-parts/trigger-guard-screws/long-triggerguard-screws-prod1273.aspx

Savage & Remington use the same 1/4-28 thread.

greyling
07-06-2021, 05:23 PM
hey great! remington trigger guard screws? and where do you see them for $2? I'm seeing $10+shipping or more. If I buy from brownells, the long screw sets linked are 1/2 to 3/4" too long, I can shorten the screws if there is enough threaded portion to chop off.

charlie b
07-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Even if the threaded portion is not long enough it is simple enough to use a die to make more threads.

Texas10
07-06-2021, 10:47 PM
Have you tried Savage Customer Service? I haven't needed to use them in a while, so don't know if they even answer the phone these days, just thought they'd be a logical place to start.

greyling
07-07-2021, 12:12 AM
it's an old savage. when they hear the serial number is before 2000, they haven't been interested in talking to me in the past.

mnbogboy2
07-09-2021, 11:42 PM
If the fajen stock is pillared then I would use standard socket head 1/4-28 machine screws. In all my pillars stocks I use these and the heads actually stop when they reach the pillar. The plastic trigger guards require boring the front hole out to 5/16 so the head of the screw clears it.
When i install pillars on stocks using steel or stainless trigger guards then the pillar is installed so the trigger gaurd will contact it when the action screw is torqued. Those socket head screws work fine with the tupperware stocks also

Robinhood
07-10-2021, 11:43 AM
If the fajen stock is pillared then I would use standard socket head 1/4-28 machine screws. In all my pillars stocks I use these and the heads actually stop when they reach the pillar. The plastic trigger guards require boring the front hole out to 5/16 so the head of the screw clears it.
When i install pillars on stocks using steel or stainless trigger guards then the pillar is installed so the trigger gaurd will contact it when the action screw is torqued. Those socket head screws work fine with the tupperware stocks also

I thought the same thing until I realized the screw hole in his hardware is set up for the chamfered or partially countersink screws. Am I missing something?

mnbogboy2
07-10-2021, 11:11 PM
I thought the same thing until I realized the screw hole in his hardware is set up for the chamfered or partially countersink screws. Am I missing something? are you saying the c'sink in the trigger guard penetrated through and is partially into the pillar as well? If not then the Remington action screws that sharpshooter suggested should fill the bill.
Yo might find a job shop that can make you the screws that you need. Can you sketch them up and post a picture? We might all understand a little clearer.

SharpShooter82
07-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Measure the angle of the countersink and look at McMaster Carr’s web sight. They have a wide selection of screws so you may be able to find something.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnbogboy2
07-12-2021, 04:39 PM
This^^^^^