PDA

View Full Version : Oryx CAN be milled out to accept 3.85 CIP Magazine. Its beautiful 110FCP 300PRC

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Dave Hoback
08-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Yeah man.... cause 6 rounds is plenty for ANYONE, right? And we don’t need no ARs... just get yourself a Double Barrel SHOTGUN! Just ask Sleepy Joe the FRAUD!

nathantc
08-30-2021, 10:55 AM
Yeah man.... cause 6 rounds is plenty for ANYONE, right? And we don’t need no ARs... just get yourself a Double Barrel SHOTGUN! Just ask Sleepy Joe the FRAUD!

I like the saying "better to have it, and not need it. Than to need it, and not have it"
my carry load out i have 52 rounds total on me at all times. That is one in the chamber with 3 fully loaded 17rd mags. Yes i travel, no i do not care about capacity or carry laws state to state. No one has the right to tell me when and where my life matters. BETTER TO BE JUDGED BY 12 THAN TO BE CARRIED BY 6

yobuck
08-31-2021, 09:18 AM
Well i dont mind that (you) have an AR Dave, and id think that should satisfy you.
You also cant turn your backs on the facts, and they show that guys like me arent your problem in that regard, isnt that correct?
As for a shotgun for a home defence weapon, yes that would be my personal choice.
And ive chosen a place to live where i dont feel any need for carrying something to defend myself with.
As for my (cool) comment.
I happen to think that cool is as cool does, without any need for advertising in order to announce it.
As for Savage, i currently own 6, and half of them wear plastic stocks, but yes, i do prefer wood.
My first was bought about 1959/60 because they were the only one with a lefty bolt at the time.
I think Savage offers a good value for the cost involved for the most part.
But if i were spending $1500 or more, the action wouldnt be wearing a name like Savage.
But if thats your idea of cool, we can still be friends, if not then thats ok also.

nathantc
08-31-2021, 09:30 AM
But if i were spending $1500 or more, the action wouldnt be wearing a name like Savage.

I would like to know why you feel this way. Most don't seem to understand that the remington 700 design was not picked by the military because its better, it was picked because in reality its cheaper to manufacture, and remington won the bid on price, not quality and certainly not accuracy. I cannot imagine building a custom rifle to brag about a name attached to it, or because its what everyone else does. I only see two reasons, MAX repeatable accuracy, and reliability. That said, savage has its shortcomings. I can rid a new savage rifle of these "shortcomings" for less money spent on any 700 type action and end up with a better rifle in every way for less money. The savage tier 1 receivers are far from the savage picked up at the local walmart for $400. That same $400 walmart savage will give you less trouble and shoot straighter than just about everything out there for 2x that price. The only down side to building on a savage action is lack of aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything to do with marketing. Kinda like a ford guy arguing that his powerjoke is as good as a cummins AFTER putting work into it (bulletproofing) lol. So really, id love to know why you think savage is a "cool" factor and not a contender when out of the box it shoots straighter than a lot of custom rifles (talking on average)

Fuj'
08-31-2021, 11:08 AM
I would like to know why you feel this way. Most don't seem to understand that the remington 700 design was not picked by the military because its better, it was picked because in reality its cheaper to manufacture, and remington won the bid on price, not quality and certainly not accuracy. I cannot imagine building a custom rifle to brag about a name attached to it, or because its what everyone else does. I only see two reasons, MAX repeatable accuracy, and reliability. That said, savage has its shortcomings. I can rid a new savage rifle of these "shortcomings" for less money spent on any 700 type action and end up with a better rifle in every way for less money. The savage tier 1 receivers are far from the savage picked up at the local walmart for $400. That same $400 walmart savage will give you less trouble and shoot straighter than just about everything out there for 2x that price. The only down side to building on a savage action is lack of aftermarket support, and that has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything to do with marketing. Kinda like a ford guy arguing that his powerjoke is as good as a cummins AFTER putting work into it (bulletproofing) lol. So really, id love to know why you think savage is a "cool" factor and not a contender when out of the box it shoots straighter than a lot of custom rifles (talking on average)

I relate with what Yobuck has said and I feel the same in some respect. I would'nt kick a dog in the ass
with a Remington, but the footprint models like what Borden or Kelbly's put's out are what he's talking
about. Like as frog in the pond, some ponds are bigger.

nathantc
08-31-2021, 11:13 AM
I relate with what Yobuck has said and I feel the same in some respect. I would'nt kick a dog in the ass
with a Remington, but the footprint models like what Borden or Kelbly's put's out are what he's talking
i wan't thinking of custom actions, i was thinking in terms of complete store bought rifles. Mistake by omission on my part there. Purpose build custom actions are in a league all of their own. That said, some of those actions alone cost more than my rifle did off the shelf ($1400).

Dave Hoback
08-31-2021, 12:24 PM
Yobuck, if you are talking custom action...$1500 doesn’t go a long way. You’ll have enough to get a trigger. I buy cheap, used Savages. For the Action. My current rifle I‘be had for several years now, I picked up for $270 from Gunbroker. It was a Model 10 YOUTH, in 243Win $ synthetic stock. But is was used very little. So I started my custom rig with a $270 Action/trigger. And to think your WOODEN stocks can offer the same accuracy potential that an Aluminum chassis does... uh, where in the “Facts” is that thinking. Actually, I wonder if you might enlighten us on what “Facts” I’ve turned my back on? I’ll wait for your answer....

BYW... Took you quite a while to answer about your comments yobuck. You need ALL that time to think up that answer? Hmm. So I guess you’ll back to us in a week or two?

yobuck
08-31-2021, 12:34 PM
Well Fuj your a competitive shooter correct?
Your opinion is one thing, but whats the opinions of other competitors in that regard, as well as the (professional) gunsmiths who build their guns?
Lets be honest here, my reasons for owning Savages has alot to do with loyalty, and the fact that they perform well out of the box.
Whereas lots of others choose them because it enables them to play the part of a gunsmith and get away with it.
Fact is its a bit foolish to pay $400 or more for any action, and then pay a professional to true the thing up when for not much more a better one can be had.
Modern CNC machinery monitored by a Geek has changed lots of things, including the number of custom actions available today.
People like Borden have a reputation to maintain, and that no doubt means more to him than the few bucks he might make by selling a few actions.

Dave Hoback
08-31-2021, 12:53 PM
And that’s all fine and well for those who have limitless funds to spend at will. Although.... NOOO... Spending $400 on an Action and having it trued will not even get one HALFWAY to the price of a good custom.

Still waiting on those “Facts” I turn my back on btw.

Dave Hoback
08-31-2021, 01:01 PM
Same with scopes. We can’t all spend $2K-$4K on Glass. Some of us have a pretty strict budget of under $1K. What’s sad are those who shit on that.

Ahh... so now I guess I’m “playing” the part of a Gunsmith?

Must mean I’m “playing” at being a Knifemaker because I don’t pound on garbage steel with a hammer & anvil, huh? Because everyone knows a “FORGED” knife is the best & only custom knife, right?

nathantc
08-31-2021, 01:17 PM
Same with scopes. We can’t all spend $2K-$4K on Glass. Some of us have a pretty strict budget of under $1K. What’s sad are those who shit on that.

Must mean I’m “playing” at being a Knifemaker because I don’t pound on garbage steel with a hammer & anvil, huh? Because everyone knows a “FORGED” knife is the best & only custom knife, right?

I have yet to use my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 firing live rounds, but since mounted to the rifle, lying prone on my trailer deck, getting it focused properly to my eye. I'm not regretting it just yet. Did a basic tracking test using a yardstick and plumbob. Not exactly perfect or scientific but it was 100% spot on as far as i could tell. The farthest i've looked thru it is 488 yards at a tree. Beautiful clear sunny day, i can see the tree bark as if i were standing there. All of that said, i still want the Leupold MK5HD im saving for. I think this optic (if it holds up) is 100% worth the $700 i spent on it. I, in no way, Expect it to be a MK5 in 5-25x56. Nope, not at all. $700 vs $2,700 (local prices) is a massive difference. Just like i would not expect the center point scope from walmart for $80 to be on par with my Strike Eagle.
Now do i expect my savage barreled action ($1,100 invested) to be on par with a custom action, custom barrel, custom trigger a close to $3000 or more. No, no i do not. I do however, i do know you would be hard pressed to buy a barreled action, on a trued action, that has a very high probability of being less than MOA for $1,100 anywhere else.

yobuck
08-31-2021, 05:23 PM

Have you ever bought a scope on Ebay Dave?
Because thats where many of mine came from.
On my 4 long range hunting guns, 3 wear old Leupold scopes.
A 3.5x10 vari x 3, a straight 12x vari x 3 and an 8.5 x25 with the varmit hunter reticle, all bought used.
I own only one Nightforce scope and althought it is a better scope than the one it replaced, i wish i hadmy old one back and the cash in my pocket.
I have no doubt bought more than 50 used spotting scopes on ebay, most of which were the very expensive old Bushnells.
You know what Dave? the problem here is that you dont know what the f—- your talking about.

nathantc
08-31-2021, 05:29 PM
Have you ever bought a scope on Ebay Dave?
Because thats where many of mine came from.
On my 4 long range hunting guns, 3 wear old Leupold scopes.
A 3.5x10 vari x 3, a straight 12x vari x 3 and an 8.5 x25 with the varmit hunter reticle, all bought used.
I own only one Nightforce scope and althought it is a better scope than the one it replaced, i wish i hadmy old one back and the cash in my pocket.
I have no doubt bought more than 50 used spotting scopes on ebay, most of which were the very expensive old Bushnells.
You know what Dave? the problem here is that you dont know what the f—- your talking about.

do you have any idea how many of those Leupolds you see on ebay are actually fakes. And i mean 100% fake, not just packaged wrong or mislabeled. Not exactly where i would trust my money on glass. But you seem to know more than the rest of us.

Dave Hoback
08-31-2021, 06:03 PM
Uh huh.... sure thing yobuck. I guess I don’t know what the F I’m talking about...yadda, yadda, yadda. While you’re literally showing YOUR arse to everyone. So good luck with that.

BTW: “YOUR” is the possessive. “YOU’RE” is the contraction of You Are, which I believe you meant.

nathantc
08-31-2021, 06:06 PM
Uh huh.... sure thing yobuck. I guess I don’t know what the F I’m talking about...yadda, yadda, yadda. While you’re literally showing your arse to everyone. So good luck with that.

crazy part is,
you were defending this guy in my inbox when he started this rant.

nathantc
09-01-2021, 05:36 PM
My levels came in (ordered precision levels) got the scope mounted as level to the rifle bore as humanly possible. Just waiting on my scope mounted level. Scope rail, mount, and rings are all properly torqued, Action screws torqued at 60 inch pounds. Just about ready to see how she shoots.

Magazine issue solved. Feeding issues solved but caused an ejection issue (new parts on the way). My fault. I filed a bit to much off the ejector getting the feed issue corrected. Now has weak ejection.

The rifle is just about ready though and im not going to lie, im getting impatient. Cool thing to note on THIS Strike Eagle, the reticle is exactly level when the upper turret is dead level. Checked by projecting the reticle onto a wall, and by hanging a plumbob at 100 yards.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/t3qhad.jpg

nathantc
09-03-2021, 11:17 AM
tried to get a rough zero while i wait for my scope level. I think one of two things is messing me up here.
1-i have no way of knowing for sure if i canted the rifle between shots. Platform, hill side, and target were all unlevel so i have nothing to go on.
2-the monopod i chose is brand name garbage from sako. Folds under recoil and is very unstable. Could have also been the cause

Each shot from my perspective was very stable, i was sure of each shot. The bottom sting is me getting on zero or close enough to get started. The 3 shot group at the top was me aiming at the very point of the red bar. 1.5" group is absolutely unacceptable regardless of ammo. Ammo used is Hornady match 300PRC 225g.

Im betting the monopod and lack of knowing if im canting hurt me here, but im pretty sure there is more to it than that. I hear some barrels need some breaking in to shoot. I personally have only seen this to be true of 22lr.

Bottom line, i may be having a custom barrel made if i cant get this down to .5" at 100 yards. I personally can print groups like that, but something bout my setup "feels" off under recoil. Due to the hard to find triple priced ammo, im stopping here till get an accu-shot monopod. Personally i think they are ugly as sin, but i know from usingthing they are rock solid, and do not move under recoil.
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/8qmfdc.jpg

im leaning towards monopod issues as its more horizontal stinging. Noticed not just in the 3 shot group. Out of frame on the photo are the first 2 rounds fired. Very high, and to the right. Both shots were nearly dead level but were exactly 1.5" apart. So i am seeing a pattern of horizontal stinging. The bipod is rock steady, does not hop under recoil. The only thing that stopped me from staying on target under recoil was the monopod folding under recoil causing the rifle to sift from my shoulder. Best i could tell i was planted behind the rifle (prone on my trailer deck) correctly. The bipod feet didn't appear to move from where they were before the shot. After i get a level (currently in the mail) on this scope ill try again using a bag to see if there is any change. Especially eliminating rifle cant from the equation.

On my 22wmr at 100 yards. i can fire a 3 shot group keeping the rifle dead level. then fire one shot with the bubble in the level riding the line. When i do this the odd shot will be up to 2" off target. So i know that can play a huge part.

I'm really hoping that the most expensive savage i ever bought, will not end up being the worst shooting one i ever sold.

yobuck
09-03-2021, 12:05 PM
crazy part is,
you were defending this guy in my inbox when he started this rant.
What actually started (your) rant was, my saying that apparently you guys prefer cool over performance.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion of cool, but since this is a public site im entitled to make comments.
There must be reasons other than that comment that set you off?

And Dave, im not aware that any of the older scopes like the ones i buy on Ebay are fake.
Like many of the new scopes on the market are today.
Anyway Ebay stands behind all that.
Ive also bought quite a few guns because i wanted the scope, then sold the gun and ended up with a nice free scope.
But see im not concerned that they dont look cool. lol

nathantc
09-03-2021, 12:49 PM
What actually started (your) rant was, my saying that apparently you guys prefer cool over performance.
Your certainly entitled to your opinion of cool, but since this is a public site im entitled to make comments.

more or less i genuinely wanted an answer to what exactly you viewed here as "cool" and not "functional". Being as i never got an answer, i assume you are just being a troll and have no idea what you were talking about.

Dave Hoback
09-03-2021, 01:35 PM

And Dave, im not aware that any of the older scopes like the ones i buy on Ebay are fake.
Like many of the new scopes on the market are today.
Anyway Ebay stands behind all that.
Ive also bought quite a few guns because i wanted the scope, then sold the gun and ended up with a nice free scope.
But see im not concerned that they dont look cool. lol

You need to work on reading comprehension. I never made a comment about your eBay scopes or whatever. I suggest re-reading.

I don’t mind people’s opinions. What I mind is continued comments lacking any evidence of standing whatsoever. Once again I’m still waiting for those “facts” I’ve turned my back on. Please cite my comment which is in clear defiance of a proven concept. Can you do that? If not, than your “opinion” is mindless dribble...AT BEST! Worst case, it’s a coordinated attack on someone based on your dislike.

So.... is there anything else?