PDA

View Full Version : An Observation AND Question....

Pages : 1 [2]

Dave Hoback
10-29-2021, 12:32 PM
Uh huh. You need to work on reading comprehension. There is a difference between Book Knowledge & Experience. I simply said the Web is the World’s Knowledge... Which it IS! Yet navigating the Internet for good information is a skill set unto itself. No where in my entire post, did I allude to READING as being all that is required. Just as being an older person who has hunted for the last 50 years ALSO does not make for a sound knowledge base.

BTW...your constant attempts to discredit people really needs to stop. You aren’t fooling anyone. Im not the only one who’s has commented on your attitude in the last year.

Robinhood
10-30-2021, 02:36 PM
I have seen many guys get out of shooting due to the rising costs. If you sell your guns and buy a fishing rod and reel you may visit fishing forums or just spend more time on the water.

ninner
10-30-2021, 05:05 PM
I have seen many guys get out of shooting due to the rising costs. If you sell your guns and buy a fishing rod and reel you may visit fishing forums or just spend more time on the water.

I’ve only ever seen that after a felony conviction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
10-30-2021, 06:55 PM
Well i already have all the very good guns i will ever need R/H at least for the things that interest me.
And i have enough powder bullets and primers to last my grand sons for their lifetime for hunting and practice shooting.
Ditto with fishing rods and lures, plus several very nice boats.
And since ive chosen to retire where i did, i also get to spend considerable time on the water.
Life is about choices you know, at least for the most part.
I do spent much of my time on the internet as well, and im very aware of its potential.
My son for example has a very large cabinet building shop right here where i live.
He has at least 20 different expensive machines in that shop for producing the work he does.
He does all the maintenance on those machines, and thanks to the internet and his I phone he can pull up everyhing he needs in order to do that.
Ive also been involved with Loran and now GPS since the days both were created.
There is one thing lost on much of this however, learning how to do something on the internet is one thing, but actually doing it is quite another.
And therein lies much of the problem in the world we live in today.
Weve become an internet educated society, with zero real world experience to a very large degree.
And if that pisses you off by having me say that Dave, sorry, but its simply the way it is.
And Dave if anyone on this site is guilty of discrediting people especially if their opinions vary from yours i might just be you.

charlie b
10-30-2021, 07:16 PM
I don't think things have changed that much. There are still a ton of people out there who can do their own work or fix their own stuff. I would say about the same percentage as when I was a kid. In HS there were probably less than 30 out of 1500 in my class who could fix things without guidance.

I've always believed that troubleshooting and leadership are two things that cannot be taught. You either have the ability or you don't. No one has been able to change that opinion for me in the last 45 years.

Dave Hoback
10-30-2021, 08:04 PM
Charlie, YEEEUP! I agree.

yobuck, I don’t care what you say in general. I have a problem with you quoting me, & being disingenuous. LYING about what you said being MY point of view. You aren’t fooling anyone. But please... continue. You just aren’t on my radar any longer sport.

PhilC
10-31-2021, 08:49 AM
I've always believed that troubleshooting and leadership are two things that cannot be taught. You either have the ability or you don't.
I agree wholeheartedly.

bsekf
10-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Sign of the times! Breakfast this morning at our local Rod and Gun Club. Talking to my shooting buddies, normally we would have all shot at least 500 bullets this year, our average this year is 20! I am nearly out of primers and some powders, still have bullets but can't find new ones. I refuse to pay $50 for 100 primers and $50 for a # of powder.

Club trap range used to have 25-30 shooters shooting 20 squads on a normal Sunday morning. Our trap range is closed and has been for a month. Can't buy shells and powder, primers and shot are nonexistent.

I believe the supply is being manipulated and most of the kids are not serious shooters, no instant gratification. The older serious shooters are giving up due to supply and/or aging.

The millions of new guns are being sold for protection.... not sport or recreation. Those folks buy 2 boxes of shells and they will last for a lifetime. THE SUPPLY IS NOT CATCHING UP.

The left realized they could not get our guns.... but they can control the ammunition.

yobuck
10-31-2021, 12:05 PM
Charlie, YEEEUP! I agree.

yobuck, I don’t care what you say in general. I have a problem with you quoting me, & being disingenuous. LYING about what you said being MY point of view. You aren’t fooling anyone. But please... continue. You just aren’t on my radar any longer sport.
I make it a practice not to lie about things Dave, and im not aware that i at least intentionally ever quote things you say.
It could be maybe that you misinterpret some of what i say?
And i do attempt to make joke of things at times, and i should learn thats difficult to do, especially with some people
Not saying im always correct about things mind you, but im also carefull not to be giving my opinion on things ive never actually done myself.
Which is why i dont comment (ever) on how to fix things, like Savages for example, especially since there are lots of experts here for doing that.
Im also no expert on things like ammo, and all the various brands available today because fact is ive never used any of it.
Reason being that ive been involved in loading since my teens, way back in the early 50s.
When i find something that works for me at least well enough (for me) to do the things i do, im apt not to listen to others who think otherwise, and that includes things like loading and even shooting.
Especially when i know their not actually involved in the type things i do.
But hey, i guess if you own a canoe or a Kayak your a boater, and therefore qualified to answer all boating questions, right ?
Do i need explain that Dave? I mean i know you live up there in Dutch Wonderland, and sometimes things need a bit extra explaining to some of the people there.

As for people being born with certain talents, yes i would agree to a certain extent.
People like Luciano Pavarotti are very rare examples of that.
Wealthy rap singers, not so much.
Nolen Ryan, absolutely, same goes for other outstanding people in their field.
But fact is that skills can be taught and learned, and the skill level reached isnt always about inborn talent.
Determination and ambition can and does take some people further than those supposedly having more talent.
Much to the chagrin of those having the superior talent.

Robinhood
10-31-2021, 01:54 PM
Sign of the times! Breakfast this morning at our local Rod and Gun Club. Talking to my shooting buddies, normally we would have all shot at least 500 bullets this year, our average this year is 20! I am nearly out of primers and some powders, still have bullets but can't find new ones. I refuse to pay $50 for 100 primers and $50 for a # of powder.

Club trap range used to have 25-30 shooters shooting 20 squads on a normal Sunday morning. Our trap range is closed and has been for a month. Can't buy shells and powder, primers and shot are nonexistent.

I believe the supply is being manipulated and most of the kids are not serious shooters, no instant gratification. The older serious shooters are giving up due to supply and/or aging.

The millions of new guns are being sold for protection.... not sport or recreation. Those folks buy 2 boxes of shells and they will last for a lifetime. THE SUPPLY IS NOT CATCHING UP.

The left realized they could not get our guns.... but they can control the ammunition.
Closer to what the point I was trying to make.