PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Swaps

Pages : 1 [2]

mnbogboy2
12-21-2021, 01:02 PM
If you want to give the barrel-swap idea another try, consider ordering a Remington pre-fit with a barrel nut (what a lot of folks call a Remage). A google search on “Remington pre-fit barrel nut” or “Remage pre-fit” will show a lot of options. It seems to be an increasingly popular configuration across the array of factory and custom receivers. I haven’t done it myself but I’ve spent considerable time thinking about it:)
The Remington swap will go much easier with a pinned recoil lug. The savage swaps work easier than Remington because the savage lug is "keyed" to the reciever with the built in protrusion on the lug.
Withsavageswirch barrels it pays to dedicate the barrel, recoil lug and barrel nut together. Index marks on all three pieces an getyouthere exactly compared to where it wasthelasttiereoed.
This wayscopesettigs adheadspace may remain where they were.the index marks do not remove the need for proper use of headspace gauges.
Another trick for speeding up barrel changes for me is to mill out the action wrench to clear the front scope base,Saving the time of scope base r&r.
I mounted my action wrench permanently to my bench using shorter 1/2-20 bolts that do not touch the bolts that tighten the wrench to the action.
Complete barrel changes take less than 20 minutes set up as my wheele action r wrench is.

Wayne Nixon
12-21-2021, 01:20 PM
Can you post a picture of your milled wrench? Would like to do mine but am not a machinist and don’t have the tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk