PDA

View Full Version : Constant scope woes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

efm77
12-03-2021, 12:27 PM
A quality one piece rail (as has been mentioned), and Burris Signature rings with the offset inserts are huge headache savers with misaligned receiver holes. The one piece pic rail will keep the rings more closely aligned, and the offset inserts allow for windage and elevation adjustment without using up the internal adjustments and without putting stress on the scope.

Lyndino
12-03-2021, 02:56 PM
Do you think the scope would have suffered damage? I really don't want to dish out another $500 on a scope.

olddav
12-03-2021, 02:58 PM
It certainly looks as though your rings are the issue, assuming the base is secured to the action.
A rail is not terribly expensive but may require that you bed it to avoid stress but either way it looks as though you need a new set of rings.
I would even go so far as to lap the new set.

celltech
12-03-2021, 03:29 PM
Do you think the scope would have suffered damage? I really don't want to dish out another $500 on a scope.

Are the scope manufactures not fixing/replacing them under warranty?

ninner
12-03-2021, 03:43 PM
If it’s a Leopold it has a warranty wether you bought it or not. Chances are it will be ok though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumpkiller
12-03-2021, 11:23 PM
I have a M11 bought new in the box and the first thing I did was remove the rings and bases (one base was loose!) and replace all with Warne steel bases (I like two piece) and rings. Installed with a torque wrench. Never tried shooting it with the OEM rings and bases.

Dave Hoback
12-03-2021, 11:31 PM
Your scope is just fine. Bet! Wouldn’t worry about any rings with any kinds of inserts, etc. Also wouldn’t go back to Weaver. Use Picatinny. Much higher consistency. If want to make it easy, you can stick with matching rail & rings along with your Leupold scope.

Rail: https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Remington-Action-Piece-Matte/dp/B01C3Q6886/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Leupold%2Bmk4%2Bscope%2Brail%2 BSavage&qid=1638588417&sr=8-1&th=1

Rings: https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Mark-Rings-Medium-Matte/dp/B000PWARFQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Leupold%2Bmk4%2Brings&qid=1638588376&sr=8-1&th= (https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Mark-Rings-Medium-Matte/dp/B000PWARFQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Leupold%2Bmk4%2Brings&qid=1638588376&sr=8-1&th=1)

Granted, I’m not saying you MUST GET THESE.. or these are the Only ones! Just an example, and they match you Leupold scope. Many people like the ease of matching components.

ninner
12-03-2021, 11:41 PM
Unless you can verify the holes are lined up perfectly I’d go with one of these and hone in the rings. This way you can dial in windage with the rear mount. I loctite the bases when I’m done on these though.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211204/4978438be7e266fd07546d844c5219c2.jpg

Dave Hoback
12-04-2021, 12:00 AM
Those are Leupold Standard style. Just a copy of the Redfield. They are fine for a hunting rifle. No serious shooter has EVER used modern competition with accuracy as a main concern. It’s old technology & better components have been developed over the years. I did an entire blog on this some years back. Going over the various setups through the years. There is a reason competition shooters DON’T use those bases/rings.

yobuck
12-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Well how many serious competitors are shooting Savage rifles for that matter?
A piccitiny base works on the same principle as the old Weavers do.
They have the advantage of offering more scope positioning, and being one piece would help with alignment issues should the holes be a tad off.
But fact still is the older techknowledgy still works very well for the majority of people.
And that for sure also includes the Redfield/leupold design scope bases.
I doubt there was ever a poorer design than the old Unertle scope block setup.
But fact is many records were set with those that even the best competitors today cant duplicate.
Fact also is that most competitors cant even duplicate their own records regardless of their equipment.
What works well for average Joe shooter is whats important for most of us.

ninner
12-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Those are Leupold Standard style. Just a copy of the Redfield. They are fine for a hunting rifle. No serious shooter has EVER used modern competition with accuracy as a main concern. It’s old technology & better components have been developed over the years. I did an entire blog on this some years back. Going over the various setups through the years. There is a reason competition shooters DON’T use those bases/rings.

I’m sure you are far more experienced than I but I believe the reason these fell out of favor was the inability to pull the rings then reassemble without repeating the setup. Coupled with the fact that modern scopes have more windage adjustments these are less necessary. But unless the front locking mechanism is worn they are no less accurate than anything else, just harder to swap scopes on the fly.

Dave Hoback
12-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Granted. Valid points ninner. Accuracy account is debatable, but then what isn’t? I can say FOR ME, it’s really a difference of Pic mounts LOCKING in place, vs Leupold/Redfield using a “Floating” front ring. Just doesn’t inspire confidence to me. Not for nothing, but the Redfield Twist in/two screw style is weaker than Picatinny. It’s not tested to same level of Mil-STD-1913. That is a fact. Whether it’s “strong enough” is beside the point....to me. The other thing is I prefer Billet Aluminum rails/rings. Lighter, and again stronger given material eight.

I like overkill. Gives “absolute” piece of mind. I don’t hold onto things from yester-year because usually, well... they SUCK compared to new technology, Lol!

Oh yeah... ninner, it’s not about being more experienced my friend. All this information has been there before ANY of us repeated it, ya know? One thing I don’t do is exclaim how much MORE “experience” I have over another.(whatever that is).

charlie b
12-04-2021, 11:23 AM
For rifles that are not kickers then I like the Weaver stuff. That is what is on my .308 and .223 now.

I don't compete but I do like 1/2MOA groups :) I can't shoot any better than that so it works for me.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Turkeytider
12-04-2021, 11:48 AM
I think it's your bases/rings. 308 doesn't have the recoil energy to destroy the innards of a decent scope. Bet if your brother put one of your "failing" scope on his Edge, it would be just fine. Is this your first high power rifle? Not that it's bad...just again, 308 while it has a stiff recoil, it simply does NOT have the energy to destroy a scope. Many guys here are shooting the Ultra Mags. A 7mm RUM makes a 308 feel like a 22! Here's a video showing recoil difference among several... watch the 7 RUM & then 338 Lapua! And scopes hold just fine with these. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqLlWxbBrg

The vid was very interesting. Some of those definitely would not be candidates for " a fun day at the range " !

wbm
12-04-2021, 01:57 PM
But fact still is the older techknowledgy still works very well for the majority of people.

+1

shotar
12-04-2021, 05:05 PM
You mentioned that your brother has a .308 that does not seem to kick as hard as yours. Have you compared fired brass between the two for apparent differences?

Dave Hoback
12-04-2021, 06:35 PM
I’d want to know the two rifles configuration...weight difference, stock material of each. Again, the 308 has only so much recoil energy available. It can’t just “magically” become exponentially greater because of headspace or whatever else. And it’s not going to destroy a scope when the same scope can withstand recoil of 7mm ULTRA Mag, 338 Lapua, even 50BMG. But yes, brass will indicate any potential problems.

Mr.Snerdly
12-04-2021, 10:40 PM
I can't understand why your rifle would kick so much worse than the other 308s. Is it very light? You might consider adding a little weight to it. More comfortable and easier on the scope.

Txhillbilly
12-05-2021, 01:15 AM
Unless you can verify the holes are lined up perfectly I’d go with one of these and hone in the rings. This way you can dial in windage with the rear mount. I loctite the bases when I’m done on these though.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211204/4978438be7e266fd07546d844c5219c2.jpg

Ninner, That is the worst scope mount / ring set up ever made. While there are many people that swear by them, you will never see any precision shooter's with that base and ring set up on a rifle.

Txhillbilly
12-05-2021, 01:35 AM
I can't understand why your rifle would kick so much worse than the other 308s. Is it very light? You might consider adding a little weight to it. More comfortable and easier on the scope.

It is more than likely the stock that makes the recoil seem harder. I have a Model 10 FCP in 308 and several years ago, I bought a barely used Model 12 FLV in 308. The Model 12's felt recoil was like shooting my 300 WM in a lite weight stock.
I swapped the plastic stock on the Model 12 FLV to a Savage factory laminate 12 BVLSS stock, and the recoil was tamed back down to the 10 FCP level. So changing the stock can be the difference between how the felt recoil is on a rifle.