PDA

View Full Version : Constant scope woes

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Dave Hoback
12-05-2021, 03:33 AM
Exactly! It's actually perceved recoil. Shoot a 308 with a stock using a 4"x2" buttstock area; and then shoot the same one in a stock using a smaller 2"x1" buttstock. The scope & components are receiving the SAME recoil. But your shoulder would get a much more painful impact.

Fuj'
12-05-2021, 07:01 AM
Head over to swfa.com and get the one piece DNZ's. You can get them with 20 MOA
machined in tilt for them longer ranges. I run 2 sets and one on my SA284 wild cat
that can thump your shoulder way more then a .308. I use it for 1000 yard Ridgway.

ninner
12-05-2021, 07:28 AM
Ninner, That is the worst scope mount / ring set up ever made. While there are many people that swear by them, you will never see any precision shooter's with that base and ring set up on a rifle.

I call bullshit on the worst ever made. A precision shooter wouldn’t have screw holes that were off so what’s your point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balvar24
12-05-2021, 09:15 AM
Just to stir the pot I suppose, but I like the Burris signature rings with plastic insert. No lapping required.

PhilC
12-05-2021, 10:10 AM
Am with Yobuck on this one. Have that "worst ever made" scope base on my 700BDL in 338WM holding a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 in Leupold rings and the zero hasn't changed in 30yrs. I can assure you, my 250gr NPT load develops more muzzle energy and generates more recoil than any standard 308 Win ever will.

Would I choose the same base if I were scoping it today? Probably not, then again, Picatinny rails weren't "all the rage" when I scoped that rifle in 1991.

Texas10
12-05-2021, 10:36 AM
Hoppes #9 bore cleaner, let it sit for a good 20 minutes or so a couple of times. Brush and bore snake. Comes out clean after write a few patches in the end.

The thing is is that it groups well with a new scope.

I've seen this before in factory rifle, a Savage in fact. Same complaint, clean it and it shoots a couple of rounds into a tight group and then scatter shot. The clue is that you're using Hoppes #9 to remove copper, which it does not do effectively. Had a friend who sent a Night Force scope back repeatedly thinking it was the scope. Same complaint.

What's happening is you remove a little copper and some fouling with the Hoppes, just enough for a couple of shots to group well, and then with a little additional buildup it no longer groups well.

So before you send the scope back, buy some good copper remover AND A BORESCOPE CAMERA. The Teslong borescope is fantastic and not expensive. Then you can actually look into the bore to confirm your cleaning method actually does what you think it does.

An off the shelf Savage will shoot best with SOME copper present, it helps to smooth out the railroad tracks in the rifling. But it'll build up quickly, and in the end, you'll figure out how much to leave in the barrel when you clean so that it shoots respectively when you need it to.

I built a model 10 in .308 with a lightweight wood stock as a carry rifle, and you're right, at 6.8 lbs it kicks like a mule. But with 175 grain Hornaday ammo it shoots spectacularly. I don't even bother with handloads for this rifle, it's a one shot, one buck rifle. But for shooting off a benchrest, it sucks. Two shots and the barrel is hot and bullets start to wander.

Please write back and let us know what you eventually discover and your remedy.

Dave Hoback
12-05-2021, 07:31 PM
Am with Yobuck on this one. Have that "worst ever made" scope base on my 700BDL in 338WM holding a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 in Leupold rings and the zero hasn't changed in 30yrs. I can assure you, my 250gr NPT load develops more muzzle energy and generates more recoil than any standard 308 Win ever will.

Would I choose the same base if I were scoping it today? Probably not, then again, Picatinny rails weren't "all the rage" when I scoped that rifle in 1991.

Well of course not! The Mil-STD-1913 system is wasn’t adopted by the US Military until 1995. You had a choice between the Leupold stuff or cheap Weaver rings of WILDLY varying dimensions! Most people opted for the Leupold mounts/rings because Leupold was trusted & at least they had decent precision.

Dave Hoback
12-05-2021, 07:37 PM
Texas10... did you READ the entire thread? Did you see his rings?

All too often one gets a bore scope without truly understanding what they are looking at & CONVINCE themselves the barrel is TRASH! People do this even if the gun shoots great, because barrels always look like crap through a scope. (If you don’t know what it is you’re looking for.)- This came up a few weeks ago.

Lyndino
12-06-2021, 03:48 AM
The others were cheaper Bushnell's that I didn't think we're worth the shipping.
Definitely not putting the Leupold in the trash.
I think I'll start with Leupold rings and if the scope has no play I'll try that. If there's still a little play I'll put on a one piece mount as recommended.

Thanx all

Stumpkiller
12-06-2021, 10:14 PM
One of the best base/ring sets I have ever owned is a one-piece - no longer available, of course.

Refiield dual dovetail that the rings twist and lock into the base rather than attach with screws. I sighted this .223 Rem in about 30 years ago and have been using the same load (21.5 gr IMR4198 & Sierra #1400 53 gr HP Match bullets). For 10 years prior to that it was on a .44 Mag pistol barrel.

https://i.imgur.com/Oe09nbt.jpg

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5aadc166f407b4ae738ce725/1577748371078-OBUVSANPHBZ9Q35WCQRR/image-asset.jpeg

pdshooter2
12-09-2021, 07:17 PM
if you really want to try scopes from savage rifles, i have 2 a nikon3-9x BDC, AND A BUSHNELL FOA 600.
DROP ME a line if you are interested.
Hey all.

I have a question and hoping one of you can make sense of my issue.
I have a model 11 chambered in .308 and I noticed this thing kicks like a mule. I've compared it to my brother's Savage Edge .308 and my friends Remington 700 30-06 and easily / by far my model 11 is a shoulder destroyer.
The recoil I can handle with aftermarket pads but I can't keep scopes from failing internally.

Buddy told me it could be the barrel causing irregular placement but if I put on a new scope it usually lasts about 2 boxes of ammo and then goes crazy.

From cheap scopes on Amazon to a $600 Leupold.
On my brother's Savage Edge he still has the Bushnell that came with it as a package and I know I've gone through 2 of those over the years.

I'm not rough with my equipment at all so I'm quite confused.

Ideas?

pdshooter2
12-09-2021, 07:20 PM
not if the damage is caused by the user,,as in poor instal

Are the scope manufactures not fixing/replacing them under warranty?

pdshooter2
12-09-2021, 07:25 PM
this comes in 2nd place for not...

Head over to swfa.com and get the one piece DNZ's. You can get them with 20 MOA
machined in tilt for them longer ranges. I run 2 sets and one on my SA284 wild cat
that can thump your shoulder way more then a .308. I use it for 1000 yard Ridgway.

Dave Hoback
12-09-2021, 10:06 PM
this comes in 2nd place for not...

pdshooter2, don’t start this again. Seriously! You offered NOTHING helpful, and instead are looking to dispute a simple recommendation by someone else! Fuj, for crying out loud!! Fuj, is among the well informed, HIGHLY knowledgeable persons here... and one of the resident gunsmiths! Not to mention, he does distance shooting others only DREAM about.

You took a little break & immediately come back to rebuke a recommendation! If you disagree with what someone recommends that’s fine. But STATE your opposition with your OWN recommendation. Don’t just quite someone and say “NOT”. It’s just fooolish and serves no purpose other that attempting to argue.

pdshooter2
12-09-2021, 11:00 PM
pdshooter2, don’t start this again. Seriously! You offered NOTHING helpful, and instead are looking to dispute a simple recommendation by someone else! Fuj, for crying out loud!! Fuj, is among the well informed, HIGHLY knowledgeable persons here... and one of the resident gunsmiths! Not to mention, he does distance shooting others only DREAM about.

You took a little break & immediately come back to rebuke a recommendation! If you disagree with what someone recommends that’s fine. But STATE your opposition with your OWN recommendation. Don’t just quite someone and say “NOT”. It’s just fooolish and serves no purpose other that attempting to argue.

PERSONALLY I FIND YOUR BEHAVIOR very strange, you have this pro christian signature, but attack every chance you get.
very un christian behavior.
i cannot find a "LIKE" BUTTON tho i am sure there is one..i chose to not repeat good suggestions...
but since you asked so nicely
burris signature rings with inserts and a one pc base.
glue and screw the base in place, loctite the rings
just because you do not know me, does not mean i have no background.
i find it helpful to offer an alternate point of view.
i have owned the product mentioned. threw it away and would never buy again.
have you owned them ???

Dave Hoback
12-10-2021, 02:31 AM
No, I'm not a fan of the DNZ mounts...Although, I'm even LESS of a fan of the Burris Signature. If I was given a choice between the DNZ & Burris signature rings only, I'd take the DNZ in a heartbeat. But that's a moot point. There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion. Just stop quoting people SOLELY to rebuke another's recommendation, while giving NO helpful insight or even reason for your position. Oh, and trying to accuse me of doing what YOU are guilty of won't work.

Strange... it looks like you've joined a few different internet Firearms/Hunting Forums in the last several months, and following this same pattern of being a new member who's talking a lot....without really saying anything. I just can't figure out if you are an bitter, older man who just recently learned of the "INTER-ma-WEBS", or a younger fellow who just got into firearms three weeks ago and is now a SUPER expert, online worrier.

olddav
12-10-2021, 02:02 PM
pdshooter2,
please continue to post your comments and opinions as they may help others that read many of these lengthy threads. This invitation is extended to all members and visitors on behalf of myself.
No moderater has instructed otherwise so let’s all join in and share.

South Prairie jim
12-13-2021, 11:23 AM
Sooo.... post #13?

I recommend getting a quality 1-piece Picatinny rail...(Leupold, Warne, EGW...take your pick), and a set high quality rings. Your scope “woes” will miraculously disappear.

As far as recoil.... well, that is a bit subjective, but the video I posted shows the range that 308 falls in.
I would replace the mounts as well, also rings do not automatically fit the rail perfectly either. I had a couple sets that responded very similar to op description

South Prairie jim
12-13-2021, 11:35 AM
PDshooter2 sounds strangely familiar, Mike” is that you?

Dave Hoback
12-13-2021, 12:36 PM
PDshooter2 sounds strangely familiar, Mike” is that you?

Its odd... he has a relatively new membership under that handle on a few different firearms forums- in the last 6 months or so. And he already received a little “Time Out” here for a week. Does seem like a BANNED member returning under a different name. Who was this “Mike” you mentioned?