PDA

View Full Version : To buy a savage 110 elite prescion or not

Pages : 1 [2]

Chewbacca
12-11-2021, 09:45 PM
If this is for informal work and you want the ease of barrel change, then the Savage is a decent choice. But, the Ruger RPR also has an easy to change barrel as well. I do not know anything about their reliability issues. I'd want a premium barrel, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc.

A while back I was at a gun show near Asheville, NC. So was this old fella, John Kreiger. Maybe you've heard of him. Learned a lot from that conversation. Main topic was 5R barrels. He said that he would make you a 5R or 12 groove, whatever you want. Said words to the effect that lots of stuff was just hype and that a good barrel is primarily from how it is made and who made it. A totally unsolicited comment was he extremely surprised at how Savage was making production barrels that were really good.

charlie b
12-11-2021, 11:03 PM
I don't disagree with him. It is surprising to me how accurate even the cheapest Savage rifles are. The cheap Axis I got from Walmart is good for less than 1/2MOA. That's what influenced me to buy my second Savage, the 12BVSS. But, it has turned out to be a bit 'touchy' about load, fouling and temperature.

RCE1
12-12-2021, 11:20 PM
I got a left handed one in 6.5CM about the same time. I bought it specifically because it's a very decent left handed rifle for a reasonable price. I don't expect any factory rifle to be truly acceptable without a little work.

South Prairie jim
12-15-2021, 11:54 AM
I’ve had good luck with model 12 action in a BVSS however if I where to go back in time I may choose the LRP mainly for the caliber options despite the stock