PDA

View Full Version : personal thoughts on sub $1000 scopes

Pages : 1 [2]

Txhillbilly
01-15-2022, 05:49 AM
While you can find a few scopes that will work for long range work in the $1k range, if you can save up $500 - $700 more it will really open up your choices for some really great scopes.
I've always been a Sightron fan, but in the SIII series their FFP scope reticle's suck, and using a SFP scope for long range has it's own disadvantages. The new FFP scopes offered by them are priced with true tier one scopes prices, and why would you buy a scope with an unknown track record for that much, I wouldn't.

Never been a Vortex fan, I know of and have seen too many of the Viper & Viper PST series fail. The Razor series is a great scope, if you can deal with the ugly color and the weight of the things.

There were some great deals a while back on the Bushnell DMR II scopes for $750, I've seen a couple for sale used on The Hide for $800.

There are a bunch of cheaper scopes from Riton, Arken, Primary Arms, etc. that guy's brag about, but I always go by the You Get What You Pay For way of thinking when it comes to optics.

The Athlon Cronus is a top notch scope for the money. There are several companies that use this same scope design by Light Optics Works (LOW) in Japan.
Tract Toric HD, Delta Stryker HD, Athlon Cronus, Leica PRS, and several other's use this design with each offering different styles of turrets, reticles, etc. depending on what the brand wants to offer.
I've got an Athlon Cronus, and a Delta Stryker HD. They hold their own against scopes that I have that cost twice as much. While they aren't $3k+ scopes, they don't give up too much to them, and are completely at home me shooting long range from 1k yards out to a mile.

wbm
01-15-2022, 09:44 AM
Leupold VX III are pretty bomb proof and sport a lifetime warranty.

+1

FWIW: All my Leupolds track fine.

Dave Hoback
01-15-2022, 11:51 AM
Agree, Leupolds are great scopes. However, they really are geared towards hunting in the VX line. Also not really all that fond of their reticles. They are kinda stuck in yester-year with them. The Marks are nice...Mark5 and up. But the price really skyrockets in a hurry with those.

want2ride
01-15-2022, 12:50 PM
All of my scopes have been bought for under $1000.

Bushnell DMR2 3.5-21x50 It is my best scope. It is heavy, very good glass, an excellent reticle, good turrets and seems to track very closely with the ballistics app, but i have not done a tall target test to confirm. It has a great magnification range, and a nice zero stop. If i could find a used one for $700, i would be tickled. I highly recommend it if you can find one, but they are no longer made.

Steiner P4xi 4-16x56 Excellent glass (the best of any scope i have ever owned), mine has very stiff elevation turret (probably the only thing i don't like about the scope), but a great second revolution indicator with different color coding that clicks over from white to green. I am not sure if you can still get them, but if i could get a used one at $600 i would be SUPER happy! I sold mine because i just couldn't get over the stiff turret, and i ended up selling it for what i bought it for, otherwise i probably would have sent it back for repair, but my brother-in-law has an identical scope and his is spectacular in all aspects... i really love his scope!

Burris XTR2, I just really like this scope. I have a 5-25, 4-20, and two 3-15's. They have a reputation for perfect tracking, and the turrets are the best of any scope i have. They are built like a tank. The glass varies greatly between the models. the 4-20 and one 3-15 is super clear, the 5-25 is alright and the older (8 MIL/REV) 3-15 is pretty poor. I have got all of mine for $600 to $800 new and all worth every penny. They go on sale pretty often. but even worth it if not on sale.

Athalon- I have an Ares BTR gen 2, Argos BTR, and a Midas Tac. All are worth the price, the glass is pretty good and turrets are a lot softer than i prefer The Ares BTR and Midas Tac will do the job shooting to 1000, i have done it with all of them. While none are my favorites, they are all alright for the price and nothing too bad to say about them.

Zeiss v4 conquest 4-16x44. It has pretty good glass, pretty good turrets, pretty good coatings for hunting. I have shot farther with this scope in use than any of my others (because of opportunity), 1473 yards and i shot a roughly 18" 4 shot group the only time i tried at that distance with my savage ultralite 300WSM. I like it, but there really isn't anything that this scope is going to excel, nor lag at. While not my favorite scope, there isn't anything wrong with it either and just can't get rid of it.

Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 windplex. I have taken mine to 700 yards and it seemed to do OK, but it is more of a hunting scope. the glass is bright, but resolution isn't that great. Turrets are OK, but not great, i know the reputation Leupold has for tracking, and i haven't taken it out far enough to really notice, since (from the reviews) it seems like the error starts at 8-10MIL and gets worse and worse from there. I would put it on par with my Athalon Midas Tac, but while that is OK, it is not great.

EDIT:
I also have a SWFA 10x and used to have a 12X. Good scope, good glass, good turrets, good price. It will get you to 1000 yards (all that i have commented on have got my there except the Leupold VX3i and Midas Tac... not that they couldn't) But lack of zero stop and being a fixed magnification make it not my choice if you have a grand to spend.

Robinhood
01-15-2022, 02:20 PM
Under 1000. Hard to find even if you look hard. What focal plane do you want? Are you planning on shooting at one range or are you shooting at vaiable long ranges. Are we talking 600 or 100 plus.
600 is easy meat with a Sightron all day long. 1000+ not so much. At least with my eyes anyway.

1FP
Plus one for the Cronus. Great glass most of them will out do NF NXS I would not buy any other Athlon.
Tract Toric-Step above the Athlon Cronus, maybe better that the Viper gen II
Viper Gen II-a standard
A lot of guys have been happy with the better Bushnell(34mm)

When shooting long range there are some scopes that will get the job done but eye fatigue will make you regret the purchase. Small exit pupil and poor focal mechanisms as well as clarity can kill you. Go to a competition and ask some guys if you could look through their scope before you buy.

xmanjeff
01-15-2022, 07:01 PM
i have 2 sightron scopes , a s3 and stac , both have very solid glass , i am sure would work well for you

Txhillbilly
01-15-2022, 09:27 PM
Optics Planet has a great deal on a Burris XTR 5-25x50 right now. I personally don't care for the color, but it's nothing a can of matte black paint can't fix.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-5-25-50mm-illum-riflescope.html?_iv_code=BR-RS-ALKPA-201055&sscid=11k6_3uv09&utm_source=shareasale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=affiliate-483222

Dave Hoback
01-16-2022, 03:15 AM
Problem is, spray painting is the one thing that instantly voids even the best of manufacturers warranties. Which I never really understood. Spray Paint can only help to further protect a scope. But oh well. One thing I would never do though. Because even the very best of Top afire scopes can fail. However unlikely it may be, it can and does happen. My luck, the scope I spray would absolutely be the one to fail, LOL! If I just couldn’t live with the color, I would wrap it.

I will say, even in that ugly camp color...that one is a KILLER deal! Even the one in black for $999 isn’t bad... but $699 for the camp color?? That is pretty sick for an Extreme Tactical.

Txhillbilly
01-16-2022, 04:55 AM
Problem is, spray painting is the one thing that instantly voids even the best of manufacturers warranties. Which I never really understood. Spray Paint can only help to further protect a scope. But oh well. One thing I would never do though. Because even the very best of Top afire scopes can fail. However unlikely it may be, it can and does happen. My luck, the scope I spray would absolutely be the one to fail, LOL! If I just couldn’t live with the color, I would wrap it.

I will say, even in that ugly camp color...that one is a KILLER deal! Even the one in black for $999 isn’t bad... but $699 for the camp color?? That is pretty sick for an Extreme Tactical.

I have no problem painting scopes, but I use my air brush with automotive paints. Plus, I never buy anything because of the warranty.
If you want to use a warranty, buy a Vortex product.

Dave Hoback
01-16-2022, 09:10 AM
I here ya. I don’t either. (And I’ve never owned a Vortex.. not a fan). But warranties are nice to have. Honestly, would you buy a new car without a warranty? Have you ever purchased the extended warranty on a car? Maybe not, but most people do. You may not worry about it, but are you honestly saying if you painted one one of your Valdadas and it took a dump, you’d be fine & dandy? Nicer, expensive things SHOULD have a bulletproof warranty on them. You may not care about voiding it, and I certainly respect your prerogative if you so choose, of course. I just don’t think it’s something to make a habit of. That’s all I’m saying. I guess if something were to happen, some solvent would remove most any paint off anyway, I guess.

But I do get your point. It’s like Leupold’s statement on their website. “The best warranty you’ll never use.” That’s pretty good. But people are still glad it’s there when buying one of their $2K+ scopes. Smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in partner? :thumb:

Txhillbilly
01-16-2022, 04:18 PM
I here ya. I don’t either. (And I’ve never owned a Vortex.. not a fan). But warranties are nice to have. Honestly, would you buy a new car without a warranty? Have you ever purchased the extended warranty on a car? Maybe not, but most people do. You may not worry about it, but are you honestly saying if you painted one one of your Valdadas and it took a dump, you’d be fine & dandy? Nicer, expensive things SHOULD have a bulletproof warranty on them. You may not care about voiding it, and I certainly respect your prerogative if you so choose, of course. I just don’t think it’s something to make a habit of. That’s all I’m saying. I guess if something were to happen, some solvent would remove most any paint off anyway, I guess.

But I do get your point. It’s like Leupold’s statement on their website. “The best warranty you’ll never use.” That’s pretty good. But people are still glad it’s there when buying one of their $2K+ scopes. Smellin’ what I’m steppin’ in partner? :thumb:

Big difference between painting a $300 - $750 scope and a $2k - $4k scope. Most scopes are anodized, so removing paint (especially Rattle Can) from them with paint thinner is pretty simple, you wouldn't void any warranty.
Here's a couple that I've done-

My 6.8 SPC II build-

https://i.imgur.com/ptRaqmj.jpg

A 223 that I did for a friend-

https://i.imgur.com/yACWgzF.jpg

Dave Hoback
01-16-2022, 04:37 PM
Absolutely. I agree. And I did concede one can remove the paint if needed. Now guess it’s not that big a deal.

Those two patterns ya got there are quite interesting. I’m getting ready to Cerakote my barrel Action & the new Chassis I just got in.
(This is the Model 10 I told you you’re gonna think I’m crazy about a few weeks ago). But it will be unique. That I guarantee.

celltech
01-16-2022, 06:46 PM
Cronus for a grand: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/fs-xrs-iii-6-36-nib-athlon-cronus-btr-aprs-mil.7107443/

pighunter284
01-17-2022, 02:03 PM
want 2 ride - thanks for the detail on the scopes i greatly appreciate that.

i have my homework cut out for me. and the responses' and help for everyone is fantastic. im shopping hard on a bunch of forums and checking ebay as well.

txhillbilly - those are some awesome paint jobs. i love the 6.8 myself

Dave Hoback
01-17-2022, 02:16 PM
I like ARs in all colors.....as long as they are BLACK! Same as caliber, as long as it’s 223/5.56, LOL!

Thats what we do here bud. Bunch of really good dudes here. And even though there are disagreements here & there, our little Savage forum is MUCH better than pretty much any of the others. This is the only forum I participate in anymore because the other DOZEN I’ve been in over the years are just full of nonsense & vitriol. People are on many forums JUST to make trouble & argue. Not here!

And I’ve never seen the kind of help & support among members that happens here.

want2ride
01-17-2022, 06:32 PM
Optics Planet has a great deal on a Burris XTR 5-25x50 right now. I personally don't care for the color, but it's nothing a can of matte black paint can't fix.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-xtreme-tactical-5-25-50mm-illum-riflescope.html?_iv_code=BR-RS-ALKPA-201055&sscid=11k6_3uv09&utm_source=shareasale&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=affiliate-483222

That is my 5-25. I like it a lot. The glass isn't as good as the 4-20, but the overall value of that scope is phenomenal!