PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Budget Chassis for a Savage Barreled Action

Pages : 1 [2]

Mikevt75
02-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Hello everybody, I am new here so pardon me if I ask any stupid questions. In this thread it seems that the archangel stock would fit a savage 110 6.5 creedmoor action. Would I be correct in that assumption? My rifle is a Savage 110 Tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. I apologize if this is thread-jacking, mods, please let me know if I need to post my own thread. Any info is appreciated, Thanks!!

P.S. If the archangel does in fact fit, does it need to be modded in any way to make it fit???

geezerhood
02-14-2022, 08:56 PM
Yes it will work with a 6.5 Creedmoor short action. I built one for myself and one for my son and they both feed 6.5 CM rounds reliably which neither one of them would with factory center feed mag boxes, though I did not know at the time about the ejector mods that can fix that problem. I am assuming that the 6.5 CM you have is a short action? I am guessing that a 30-06 magazine in the Archangel might not feed a 6.5 CM very well if at all.

Depending on what type of bolt release you have and the age of your action, you will need to do some fitting back in the trigger area. It comes with the parts to work with a bottom bolt release or top, if I am remembering correctly. I had to open up some space to get a side bolt release action to fit in both of mine. I did that by hand with a milling bit in my drill press. Not perfect but easier than a Dremel and from the outside it looks like it was made that way from the factory.

If you end up getting one and need some pix to help fit it, let me know.

Dave Hoback
02-14-2022, 10:14 PM
If you just like the looks of it, by means.., go for it. But if you are going after the accuracy benefit the added stiffness & solid bedding a Chassis or aftermarket stock can offer, I’d recommend forgoing on the Archangel. I would rather simply bed the factory stock to save a buck now, and wait to get one of the others. The Archangel is just not going to provide the same level of fit & stiff bedding the other well known Chassis’ or a properly bedded Glass stock will. The Archangel would surely need bedded after purchase. Although it says it has Aluminum pillers already, I’m quite suspicious of the effectiveness. Understand, I’m basing this on Pro Mag’s suspect reputation over the years. Their products are not exactly known for good performance. Not even reasonable performance really, but rather they are by & large compromising to flat out very poor performance. I don’t mean to knock it. Not my intention, as most ANY part can be made RIGHT with a little work. And as I first said, if you are simply fond of the looks/styling, go for it. But while I am a big fan of top performance at the best cost, & I’m certainly NOT one of those who thinks only the most expensive parts are any good, there simply is a limit to low cost vs performance output.

geezerhood
02-14-2022, 10:43 PM
I saw no change in accuracy going from my $800 MPA into an Archangel with no bedding done. It is an extremely rigid platform.

Dave Hoback
02-15-2022, 12:20 AM
Hmm.. I do remember you’re thread about getting it... you purchased TWO in fact, if I’m not mistaken. Although, I don’t believe you mentioned an MPA Chassis at all, let alone swapping the 6.5CM from one? Regardless, I’m wondering why a person would REPLACE an MPA Chassis in the first place?:confused: Haven’t head really ANY complaints with MPA. They have a very well deserving praise from a HIGH quality of products history.

Ya know though, Hey... I’m glad it’s working well for you. I haven’t seen one in person yet...just when a company has several DECADES of. EXTREMELY suspect performance, I won’t jump on their bandwagon with one or two “GOOD” performances. That’s all.

02-16-2022, 09:50 PM
Vendetta precision has a nice long action chassis, but I've emailed and left messages with no response. Yankee hill marc chassis with rail can be found for $400, still need a stock and grip though. Outlier has one out as well I believe they are tied into Arken optics.

Dave Hoback
02-16-2022, 10:13 PM
Vendetta precision has a nice long action chassis, but I've emailed and left messages with no response. Yankee hill marc chassis with rail can be found for $400, still need a stock and grip though. Outlier has one out as well I believe they are tied into Arken optics.

I emailed Vendetta about their Chassis almost FOUR YEARS AGO! Sent email after email with no response! Too bad because the photos looked promising. But I’m actually happy nothing happened with Vendetta, because I am more than excited about my Mirage URL Chassis.