PDA

View Full Version : What to build?

Pages : 1 [2]

Timb
01-24-2022, 01:36 PM
OK, y’all are talking me out of a build- I already have 7mm-08 and 308 in short action barrels and 270, 25-06 and 30-06 barrels in long action plus a 7 mag. Guess l’ll save that money for more ammo! Thanks for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take the 308 and call it done, but any of those others calibers will do the job just fine.

Dave Hoback
01-24-2022, 02:21 PM
It’s funny... I played the multiple caliber game when I was a younger man. I my 20’s I probably had 8 or 9 different calibers. But as I aged, it seemed a bit ridiculous to me; having so many. I certainly couldn’t afford to feed them all! I’ve had my same favorite calibers for decades! And increasing wanted to concentrate on those. I’ve really shaved down my arsenal over the years. The last 7 years I’ve concentrated on having ONLY firearms I built. I love 9mm for anything I carry. And I only carry ONE pistol always! I’ve been a 223/5.56 fan since I started building ARs in 2005. For high power, I was 308 & 30/06 I the past. But have changed to 6.5mm and have my bench gun in 260. And I do love 45ACP, but for the 1911’s I’ve built. I mean who doesn’t LOVE the 1911??

Sorry for the tangent. My mind wonders. Of course this is simply what I do. I have no problems with others having many different calibers/firearms; or large collections even. Whatever flats your boat basically. Like I said, I WAS like that & enjoyed the many different shooters I had. Whatever floats your boat.

To the OP: yeah, your pretty well set with choosing ANY of your rifles. Any one will make short work of a hog!

Newtosavage
01-24-2022, 03:34 PM
.308 with 150's is good hog medicine. They aren't invincible. I kill them all the time with the measly 7.62x39 and even with a recurve bow. LOL

Dave Hoback
01-24-2022, 04:10 PM
I agree. I know many use their ARs where they are like vermin..like RATS. Texas for example, where they can be United with NO license, & NO limit. Of course, I guess one of those near 1,100lb. MONSTERS, like the record setter Hog of 1051lbs. in Alabama, or in Georgia, would be more resistant to 223. Where and what type of Hogs are you hunting Wayne?

Newtosavage
01-24-2022, 04:57 PM
I agree. I know many use their ARs where they are like vermin..like RATS. Texas for example, where they can be United with NO license, & NO limit. Of course, I guess one of those near 1,100lb. MONSTERS, like the record setter Hog of 1051lbs. in Alabama, or in Georgia, would be more resistant to 223. Where and what type of Hogs are you hunting Wayne?

I've killed close to 1k feral pigs and the largest I ever scaled was 375. A pregnant sow that I dropped with one shot from my longbow at 12 yards.

Those 1k lb "hogzillas" make the news alright, but those are 1st gen farm escapees at best. True wild feral pigs don't get anywhere near that large. A 250# boar is a large boar, despite what everyone wants to believe. The scales don't lie. Problem is most people never actually put them on a scale.

Dave Hoback
01-24-2022, 05:38 PM
They are ALL defendants of farm raised pigs. They aren’t different breeds with separate DNA. And there is no such thing as evolution:crazy:

But I understand what you mean. I don’t know. Depending on food source, a wild hog certainly can be the size. I’ve seen many 400, 500 lb that were born in the wild. But they are different in different areas. Texas hogs, sure. 250lbs is on the biggest side of the scale. Just don’t have the wild food to grow to those monstrous sizes.

Fuj'
01-25-2022, 09:12 AM
.308 with 150's is good hog medicine. They aren't invincible. I kill them all the time with the measly 7.62x39 and even with a recurve bow. LOL

My nephew and his wife while teaching at the university in Georgia, rented
out a farm house to live in. The owner took them out hog hunting many times.
Favorite arsenal for Susan was an old 32 Special Lever gun. She got more then
most. They have since moved and teach at the University of North Dakota.
And a shameless plug. Doctor Susan Felege associate professosr in biology
at UND. Her and Chris also do research work with Ducks Unlimited. Their
favorite vacation spot is back at their teaching roots in Georgia to roll hogs.

Wayne Nixon
01-25-2022, 09:30 AM
I am in Southwest Arkansas and have not seen hogs on our deer lease yet. Some of our members have and killed a few, I am/was trying to be prepared when I do see them. Have no experience with them just heard skin and shoulder bones are tough so my reason for heavier bullets. Thanks for all comments and advice, I’ll just use what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timb
01-25-2022, 01:23 PM
They are ALL defendants of farm raised pigs. They aren’t different breeds with separate DNA. And there is no such thing as evolution:crazy:

Depending upon where you are, not all are descendants or farm raised pigs. Some are various mixes of released Eurasian Wild Boars. Eurasians were have been released in Texas and other states for sporting purposes in the past. And evolution is very real, but I admit it probably hasn't had time to do anything with the various wild hogs in such a short time frame.

Fuj'
01-25-2022, 02:16 PM
Depending upon where you are, not all are descendants or farm raised pigs. Some are various mixes of released Eurasian Wild Boars. .

African wild boar are another. The African forest hog is supposedly the most vicious.
These are not farm bred, they evolved. These would be a problem if let loose in our
southern climate. I guess there is no end to hawg species around the world. One of
the boy's over on 65Creedmoor, hunt's them at night with a thermal scope.

Dave Hoback
01-25-2022, 03:32 PM
Depending upon where you are, not all are descendants or farm raised pigs. Some are various mixes of released Eurasian Wild Boars. Eurasians were have been released in Texas and other states for sporting purposes in the past. And evolution is very real, but I admit it probably hasn't had time to do anything with the various wild hogs in such a short time frame.

Yes, the wild hogs of today are comprised of two types of Sus scrofa (Eurasian wild boars, and Domestic Swine from Europe), introduced in North America. The Eurasian Wild Boar was introduced in the 1890’s. And the first Domestic swine were brought over with Columba’s in the 1493. All these animals have intermingled & become the North American Wild Hog. Of the Hogzillas downed in different states(mostly Alabama & Georgia), while some have been first gen escaped domestic swine yes, others of these giants have been identified as pure wild hog. There is however, no report of African wild boars in the States. Our Wild Hogs have large teeth, not the large side “Tusks” that African Boar are known for.

Timb
01-25-2022, 07:40 PM
The West Virginia Department of Natural Resources actually stocked Prussian wild board in the early 70's as hunting game. Terrible mistake in my opinion, but they're here now. I know of at least one hunting preserve here that stocks pure breed Russian bores. It's a high fence operation, but they do get out at times and I'm sure breed with the other wild pigs.