PDA

View Full Version : Who else suffers from AR15 MADNESS?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Dave Hoback
02-26-2022, 10:11 PM
Well, the terms get the thrown around. Staked & Pinned CAN mean the same thing. But topically, Staked is how factory Front Sight Blocks are installed. Two pins which are tapered and pressed in the holes drilled through the block and barrel. This makes the block “STAKED” in place. A Pinned gas block is one that uses two set screws from underneath, but then a hole is drilled between them on the side of the block and through the underside of barrel. Then a solid or roll pin is punched in. And the third option is my favorite; the Clamped! The gas block iis mechanically bolted, thus “clamping” on the barrel.

The hole thing with the LT620 (green), it and others like it are Retaining Compounds designed to be used in non threaded, cylindrical components. It fills small to voids making a a perfect fit. I actually use the Vibra-Tite 567. If the barrel needed to be removed, high heat must be applied. Probably a bit less for the LT620, but then that’s why I chose the High Temp. The barrel can easily hit 300f.

The idea behind “staking” the castle but is to make certain it never loosens. For the record, I have built more AR’s than MOST, and I have only staked a small number. I have NEVER had a castle nut loosen on ANY of my builds. EVER! Three things: High quality Castle nut, CLEAN threads, and proper torque. These three done & I would not anticipate a problem. BTW: I don’t currently have true castle nut staked on this one. And it’s the finest AR I’ve ever held or seen.

wbm
02-27-2022, 08:41 AM
Thanks Dave!

Dave Hoback
02-27-2022, 07:43 PM
My pleasure friend.

AZ_GUN_NUT
09-05-2022, 03:05 AM
Over the years I've built "assembled" many AR15's. I've owned 2 factory Colts.. 1st an AR15 SPR slabside, the 2nd a Delta HBAR. I wish I had kept the SPR as it was as close as a replica could get to the M16 I carried in the Army.

I've never messed with 80% lowers as I've never been setup to do any milling. Later on I worked as an apprentice for a buddy who was an 07/SOT and did some AR15 to M16 conversions. Also learned how to fabricate and assemble suppressors... But I digress.

I have several AR's in my collection that I've built from parts and assembled to my taste. I think I have more fun building them than I do shooting them these days.

Steeltrap
09-05-2022, 08:29 AM
And by the way, i do hope they never approve of ARs for hunting in PA.
Will they ultimatly do it?

Ummmm....I dunno how long you've been away, but the A\R semi-auto platform since 2017-18. https://www.outdoornews.com/2017/04/24/pa-limits-semi-automatic-rifle-use-not-big-game/

Small game use.....but it's a step into bringing out the 1913 mentality of the game commission.

Blue Avenger
09-05-2022, 08:35 PM
I've never messed with 80% lowers as I've never been setup to do any milling.

I have several AR's in my collection that I've built from parts and assembled to my taste. I think I have more fun building them than I do shooting them these days.

same for me, never saw the need to spend more money and risk making scrap metal by milling parts myself over correctly milled parts.

Dave Hoback
09-05-2022, 09:29 PM
Ummmm....I dunno how long you've been away, but the A\R semi-auto platform since 2017-18. https://www.outdoornews.com/2017/04/24/pa-limits-semi-automatic-rifle-use-not-big-game/

Small game use.....but it's a step into bringing out the 1913 mentality of the game commission.

Unfortunately FUDD mentality will always be a thing. Maybe middle aged guys like me will act the same in 30 years when Rail Guns are the norm! Wouldn’t that be something! Maybe I’ll be the next breed of Curmudgeon, barking at kids to “Get the heck off my lawn!” LOL! I used my AR for Varmint hunting while I lived in Tucson, AZ. and really enjoyed it. Regulated to 5rd mags. Awesome for ‘Yotes, Bobcats, Rabbits & such. Although I stopped sport hunting while I was there. Became an “Kill ‘n Eat” hunter. I’d only kill what I planned to eat. Actually how I found out Jack Rabbit is actually really good!

Dave Hoback
09-05-2022, 09:44 PM
same for me, never saw the need to spend more money and risk making scrap metal by milling parts myself over correctly milled parts.

I agree with you. And I recommend this to people who don’t have my frame of mind. For those looking to one AR, it’s not worth it. I actually followed the 80% market from it’s inception.. around 2010. But I didn’t start using them until I knew they were made correctly from 7075-T6 Billet. And not until I knew I could do them without any mistakes. I watched the market on them for years. Wasn’t until like 4 or 5 years ago I did the first. Since then I’ve done several more. For me it’s about the “DOING”. As was said above, I enjoy building firearms maybe more than I like shooting them anymore. I do sincerely enjoy building my own though.

Steeltrap
09-06-2022, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately FUDD mentality will always be a thing. Maybe middle aged guys like me will act the same in 30 years when Rail Guns are the norm! Wouldn’t that be something! Maybe I’ll be the next breed of Curmudgeon, barking at kids to “Get the heck off my lawn!” LOL! I used my AR for Varmint hunting while I lived in Tucson, AZ. and really enjoyed it. Regulated to 5rd mags. Awesome for ‘Yotes, Bobcats, Rabbits & such. Although I stopped sport hunting while I was there. Became an “Kill ‘n Eat” hunter. I’d only kill what I planned to eat. Actually how I found out Jack Rabbit is actually really good!

I've been a "kill 'n eat" guy for the most part.....except for groundhogs. Those I let the coyotes eat. And where I hunt a dead groundhog or a whitetail gut pile is gone overnight!! I worked up some 70gr bullet loads in .223. Some sub-sonic for "the back yard" and some full boat "kill 'em at 200yds". Both of these loads work out of my bolt action Savage .223 and the full boat loads work very well from my A\R....IMHO amazingly well!!

I bought a DPMS many years ago when A\R's were getting scarfed up left and right. IIRC I paid $600 for that rifle. It's my only "use 'and abuse" rifle and still shoots very well and cycles every time!! I'm more of a "traditionalist" when it comes to firearms. I like wood and lever actions. But I can't condemn the A\R. If the only purpose of an A\R is to kill people, then why do the cops all have 'em?

Papa_D
10-21-2022, 05:01 PM
But i would also argue for the right of others to own whatever they choose.
So long as it dosent include a bump stock.

"I'm Pro 2A, but..." [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

psharon97
10-24-2022, 09:51 AM
The problem with this line of thinking, "that ARs aren't needed, because I don't see a personal need for them", is why we are always on the losing end of protecting and expanding gun rights. The anti gun crowd, funded my Bloomberg, Obama, Biden, wants to ban ALL civilian firearm ownership. They love to see us divided on this subject.

This means we must defend novelty items. Every time we give them an inch, they take mile and never concede any ground. It's doesn't matter no pointless bumpfire stocks are, it's unacceptable for the ATF to be able to classify this as a machine gun. Same thing with binary triggers. These are novelty items sure, but the federal government, outside of congress, just classifies these are machineguns. Same with AR pistols and now classifying these as SBRs.

So, proceed with not defending ARs with the same enthusiasm, the anti gun crowd will come for your shotguns, your bolt action "sniper rifles", your handguns, your revolvers.

wbm
10-24-2022, 10:43 AM
"that ARs aren't needed, because I don't see a personal need for them"

Imagine how it is going to be in the near future when the majority decides what an individual needs.

Dave Hoback
10-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Im not worried. SCOTUS has recently settled some things. Places like California & NJ are soon to see 30-round magazines… and it’s their own fault.

Also, to anyone not aware, a big battle was settled just last month with ATF. They illegally decided that 80% Lowers were “firearms”, and as such needed the same background checks & serialization. Yet, in the United States, making one’s own firearm for personal use has always been legal. Lawsuits were started immediately & a Federal judge ruled an Injunction on the ATF. They don’t get to make Law!

Well, I came across another 80% Billet Lower I fell in love with.
https://i.ibb.co/0swWg2x/A5220171-4044-490-D-98-AF-99071465-E192.jpg (https://ibb.co/bbfySmk)

So….. yeah. Just machined these in the past month.
https://i.ibb.co/Dk0pMxn/F6966968-7699-4-F03-991-B-9-BCFDE81-A11-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/S0Frmhp)

I also added some Titanium TakeDown/Pivot pins.
https://i.ibb.co/vC9Csmn/EAF96-D13-9-A00-4-AE9-B7-AA-96-CF4-F7-A542-E.jpg (https://ibb.co/V060HD4)

And this charging handle, which I like more than the Rapture even.
https://i.ibb.co/mSNM27p/7-B05-F661-BDA8-4-E9-D-8-BCB-5-A10-F2901043.png (https://imgbb.com/)

I don’t just build AR’s… I build super high end, Top Shelf ARs.

prdatr
11-11-2022, 03:52 PM

I think it was five or more years ago when AZG&FD removed the five round restriction for hunting. 30 round mags are awkward in the field but 10 seems to be just about right. I've never built one but acquired a 6920 in 2013 and put an ACOG on it for the range and have used it for Yotes but prefer a 22-250. I have taken Javelina with it though.
Also have a DB-10 in 7.62 which is more accurate and comfortable to shoot. That has a Riton 4x16.

wbm
11-12-2022, 09:24 AM
I think....10 seems to be just about right.

+1

Robinhood
11-12-2022, 11:36 PM
Imagine how it is going to be in the near future when the majority decides what an individual needs. Very few are astute enough to see this coming. This is true democracy when the majority can determine who has what. Not a democratic republic where laws rule. In a true democracy the poor will outlaw wealth and knowledge. They will vote for the government to give them everything to live including their thinking. Coming to a theater near you soon.

wbm
11-13-2022, 09:33 AM
Indeed it is.

bootsmcguire
11-28-2022, 01:57 AM
AR's are one of those firearms that I see how handy and fun they can be. I certainly appreciate the plug and play aspect of them and the ability to tailor them to suit the owner best. You can be a purist, a minimalist, or a full on tacti-kewl type and at the end of the day have your rifle your way. And when you change your mind you just swap it. I have "built" several over the years in a few different chamberings, and somebody always walks up with the right amount to talk me out of it.

My only real complaint (and this applies to most semi-auto platforms) is I have to chase the brass. I just hate loosing brass, it's a pet peeve. I know I could invest in a brass catcher, but idk just never have.

That being said I do need to build me another in the 350 Legend (friend talked me out of mine last year for his kid due to the very light recoil) since I have massed a bunch of components for ammo.

As far as the whole negative image (in regards to gun range warriors) I do find it annoying to sit at the next bench from someone and watch them spray 30 rounds down range, raining brass all over my bench, and proclaiming how accurate they were shooting when they were lucky to put those 30 rounds into a beach ball at 100yds. One time a guy did that to me with an AR, so I pulled a Martin Riggs on him and made a 6 shot smiley face on my last target. He wasn't watching my targets, so as I packed up listening to him tell his buddy how accurate his gun was I laid my last target on his table and they both looked at me and I just said "Have a nice day". His buddy just started rolling laughing. To me it wasn't about the AR being annoying but the lack of respect for others some people have. A firearm regardless of type is only as good as the person using it. Luckily I now have my own range at home so its not an issue for me any more.

Dave I like the build, looks like you poured your heart and soul into it and you should be very proud.

Pbramble
11-30-2022, 01:07 AM
I was in the club of I never thought I'd want one. then shot one. Now own a few in various calibers and even an AR10. I too hate chasing after brass so I've invested in brass catchers and it's made shooting them that much more fun. I like using 30 round magazines, cause I'm usually hunting hogs in southeast Oklahoma and quick follow up shots on large sounders is required. Pigs run fast once the first shot is off.

Dave Hoback
12-02-2022, 07:49 AM
Appreciate it Boots. I like to think I pour myself into every firearm I’m putting together, building or modifying. Weather a Savage, an AR or pistol like the 1911’s I’ve built & even my carry pistol. I treat everyone as it were the last firearm I’d ever have hands on.

As for flinging brass, I solved that with this little beauty below. This is among the parts I’ve sourced over years & years of research. Like the Ballistic Advantage Barrels, the Surefire 3-prong flash hiders & Azimuth Bolt Carrier Groups. (BCG’s), I use these parts on every single AR upper I build. This is the Wojtek Gas Block. Made in Carbon steel & Nitride treated or SS. Skeletonized & clamp on design so almost no chance of loosening. After being properly adjusted the brass all falls to a nice neat little pile about 2-feet to the right & behind me.

https://i.ibb.co/xXW6dMW/C9931-AAF-4-BCC-4500-AA69-7909366-CFE81.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)