PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy an action?

Pages : 1 [2]

South Prairie jim
02-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Well thanks for not flaming me too bad fellas’ much appreciated and like I said we have a few Savage rifles and they shoot really well.

Suppose if more guys could do quality trigger work like Dave they wouldn’t replace them.

Dave Hoback
02-02-2022, 06:24 PM
Nah... people still would, LOL. So many of us just can’t help buying the NEW, SHINY TOYS! Hell, I’m even guilty of it at times.

Newtosavage
02-03-2022, 12:57 PM
Nah... people still would, LOL. So many of us just can’t help buying the NEW, SHINY TOYS! Hell, I’m even guilty of it at times.

Yup.

Out of curiosity, I dialed back the spring on the accutrigger for the rifle I bought yesterday, and it was breaking clean as a whistle at 14 oz. ! LOL Way too light for me, but it's nice to know that option exists if I ever want it. I dialed it back up to 2.5 lbs. which is where I set all my hunting triggers.

Like I said, I love them. No complaints here at all.

Dave Hoback
02-03-2022, 01:53 PM
14oz eh? You got a super light one! That’s lighter than even the Red Bladed Target Accutrigger everyone talks about!

You’re right though. I’m incomplete agreement. Shunting rifle shouldn’t be even close to 1lb! And forget it for defensive purpose guns! When I first started doing triggers, I messed with them ALL! I worked the triggers on my Glocks, CZ, HK... EVERY AR I’ve built.. it just never ended! But I got to a point where LIGHT was not what I wanted in a Defensive Pistol or Rifle. But SMOOTH, NO CREEP or OVERTRAVEL? Now THOSE are a good recipe for EVERY firearm’s trigger! I like pistols & ARs around 4-5ibs.

Newtosavage
02-04-2022, 02:28 PM
14oz eh? You got a super light one! That’s lighter than even the Red Bladed Target Accutrigger everyone talks about!

You’re right though. I’m incomplete agreement. Shunting rifle shouldn’t be even close to 1lb! And forget it for defensive purpose guns! When I first started doing triggers, I messed with them ALL! I worked the triggers on my Glocks, CZ, HK... EVERY AR I’ve built.. it just never ended! But I got to a point where LIGHT was not what I wanted in a Defensive Pistol or Rifle. But SMOOTH, NO CREEP or OVERTRAVEL? Now THOSE are a good recipe for EVERY firearm’s trigger! I like pistols & ARs around 4-5ibs.

I learned to work on the Ruger trigger and once had a Ruger muzzleloader with their newest trigger. I got that thing to 2 lbs. and a perfect break. Aside from my accutriggers, it was the best trigger I had ever shot. On a muzzleloader no less. LOL Guess it worked because the last deer I took with it was a doe at 143 yards and you couldn't have placed that bullet any better.

Getting back to finding an action, I have my semi-custom 7mm-08 barrel (stainless Shaw cut to 20" and fluted) screwed on that action and dropped in that "city camo" (what I call it) stock. Damn that thing is slick. Whole rifle (without scope and rings) weighs just 5 lbs. 15 oz. No kidding. With the scope mounted it will be 6 lbs. 14 oz. Perfect for a mule deer rifle.

Wasn't sure how I'd feel about that stainless barrel on the black action, but it actually looks pretty good in that camo stock. Can't wait to get out and shoot it later today.

If I can get even $200 out of that barrel and scope, I'll have $450 in a brand new action and accufit stock. Can't beat that with a stick.

Iowa Fox
02-04-2022, 09:05 PM
I know this is off topic but I started the thread so I don't mind. :D

Dave, do you remove the blade from our Accutriggers or leave them in? I have no intention of modifying mine whatsoever (again, all my rifles are hunting rifles) but I'm curious.

I pin mine back if shooting off the bench. If they go out in the field they get unpinned.

Dave Hoback
02-05-2022, 03:09 PM
You Pin it back? Hmm. Seems like this could hinder bench shooting. Can you post a pic? I mean, what do you use? I’m envisioning like a rubberband around the blade & trigger shoe. Which to me, would be a nuisance not allowing mating of trigger face & pad of index finger.

The way I set up my Accutriggers, the blade does not present and discernible extra weight. And to me, is reminiscent of a 2-stage. When I depress the safety blade, it’s almost like a “keep” for my finger. I could hold it there easily for as long as needed. From there, it’s just that hint more of pressure & the Sear drops. It’s very predictable; like a proper 2-stage. But I know, not everyone likes 2-stage triggers, so there is that. In which case I’d recommend an aftermarket, or I can work an Accutrigger in the same way I always do, but simply remove the blade for those who prefer 1-stage. But I do think the 3-screw is a fantastic 1-stage trigger. Having that Sear engagement makes it very, very nice. Honestly, a cell worked 3-screw trigger is to me, every bit as good as an aftermarket. The way I set the up anyway.

Newtosavage
02-10-2022, 08:52 PM
Well, that worked out pretty well. Paid $650 (including tax) for the XP package, and sold the barrel and scope for $320 just now, so I have $330 in a brand new action and stock. I would have paid $100 for the stock, so that's like getting a brand new action for $230. Can't beat that with a stick!

alex.ink38
02-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Congrats, looks like you got through with decent deal. Here is the link to an active listing on GB, in case anyone else is looking:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/923874133

KMW1954
02-12-2022, 07:41 PM
I figured by now I would have seen one on the classifieds, but no such luck. Seems like folks aren't parting with their actions these days.

So I'm wondering where else to look for just a regular bottom bolt release 4.4", .308 bolt fact short action.

Any ideas?

Seems every gun forum I belong to has a classified section, Buy, Sell, Trade.

Last summer I placed a Wanted to Buy in all the forums I belong to. Explaining exactly what I was looking for and a ballpark of what I wanted to spend. I soon received a response from a member that had a Model 11 DBM Bottom Bolt Release barreled receiver. He had no history of the gun or the barrel other than a customer brought it in with a broken stock. He offered the whole thing to me, including the broken stock, for $150.00 shipped to my FFL.

It now has a Boyds At-One stock and is awaiting a 6mm BR Norma barrel.

So you may want to try that avenue to find what you need.

Newtosavage
02-12-2022, 09:47 PM
Seems every gun forum I belong to has a classified section, Buy, Sell, Trade.

Last summer I placed a Wanted to Buy in all the forums I belong to. Explaining exactly what I was looking for and a ballpark of what I wanted to spend. I soon received a response from a member that had a Model 11 DBM Bottom Bolt Release barreled receiver. He had no history of the gun or the barrel other than a customer brought it in with a broken stock. He offered the whole thing to me, including the broken stock, for $150.00 shipped to my FFL.

It now has a Boyds At-One stock and is awaiting a 6mm BR Norma barrel.

So you may want to try that avenue to find what you need.

Thanks. I did that first, and only went to buy the new package after striking out. I'm happy with my decision. I have a brand new action and stock for $350 out of my pocket. And the stock is factory camo and has the right barrel channel for my aftermarket barrel. Couldn't be happier to be honest.

AZ_GUN_NUT
08-31-2022, 05:31 AM
Personally... I love the Pre-Accutrigger rifles. I find the stock 4 screw triggers, (when you can find them), do an amazing job when setup properly.
Yes I've owned Accutrigger rifles... just don't care for them. But then I'm an old fart and set in my ways. LOL

charlie b
08-31-2022, 09:54 PM
I guess you could say that's the same reason I like Accutriggers. Grew up with 2 stage military triggers. The feel of the blade to me is like the the 2 stage.

Dave Hoback
09-01-2022, 09:32 AM
I agree Charlie. The Accutrigger is very 2-Stage-ish feel. I like that little take up, like your finger resting on a shelf. It feels like better control to me.