PDA

View Full Version : Retro classic build

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Hdskip
03-07-2023, 09:09 AM
PhilC thanks for the encouragement. I've pretty much always done things "swimming up stream" so to speak. As they say I have means , opportunity and some small amount of skill to try things that obviously don't make much sense to most folks. But what the heck, I'm retired and retirement is about doing what you want to do, not what you have to do. If something interests me I'm likely going to go investigate it. Most of my projects throw a lot of labor and ingenuity at it instead of $$$$$. The challenge for me is to do it at the least expense and make it successful and enjoy it after it is done and I do enjoy using these as often as possible. That's the beauty of this great country we live in, the freedom to do what we like. Posting on here will hopefully encourage others to " branch out and swim upstream" and try new or old things and not follow all the latest trends. I know it's not for everyone but I can't help but believe there are others that think similar to me. Those are the ones I'd like to encourage .

PhilC
03-07-2023, 10:21 AM
I get it and do much the same myself. Just finished breaking in my 7BR which will be a dedicated bench rifle used to shoot cast in CBA competition. Talk about swimming upstream "everybody" is shooting 30BR but I've been a 7mm fan since the 80s so my caliber choice was a given. I even got my 12FV 6.5 Creed to shoot good groups with cast and that was with the 1:8 factory barrel!

Have a couple magnum rifles that have become safe queens since I stopped hunting. I'm thinking about casting for them too, at least I could enjoy them rather than just wipe them down and look at them. :thumb:

Robinhood
03-07-2023, 01:24 PM
PhilC thanks for the encouragement. I've pretty much always done things "swimming up stream" so to speak. As they say I have means , opportunity and some small amount of skill to try things that obviously don't make much sense to most folks. But what the heck, I'm retired and retirement is about doing what you want to do, not what you have to do. If something interests me I'm likely going to go investigate it. Most of my projects throw a lot of labor and ingenuity at it instead of $$$$$. The challenge for me is to do it at the least expense and make it successful and enjoy it after it is done and I do enjoy using these as often as possible. That's the beauty of this great country we live in, the freedom to do what we like. Posting on here will hopefully encourage others to " branch out and swim upstream" and try new or old things and not follow all the latest trends. I know it's not for everyone but I can't help but believe there are others that think similar to me. Those are the ones I'd like to encourage .

Well put Hdskip. BTW Awesome Project and Execution. If I had wide open spaces and the energy, your influence would spark another project. Thanks for sharing it. I still wish I had built that 8mm Mauser that I used to dream of. I have 2 of those scopes, one of wich would have sat on top.

Dave Hoback
03-07-2023, 01:50 PM

Indeed.. that was well formed, honest & quite a thoughtful post, Hdskip. Made me smile reading it. Cheers:tea:

Steeltrap
03-12-2023, 08:14 AM
Very nice work!!

I'm in no way trying to steal your thunder, but what you have done reminds me of what I did to a similar '87 vintage Savage 110. It all started because I had a 6.5x55mm barrel just hanging out!!

I purchased the Savage 110 for $200. I hated the factory paint on finish and the shape of the stock. So, I reshaped it, took off a bunch of wood, installed pillars, bedded the action, finished the stock with AquaFortis, the "finish" pic doesn't show the extra coats of TrueOil that I applied. After this pic I also cut 3" of the barrel and reduced the LOP (I cut the stock) so it was 13.5". Made the firearm much easier to take afield.

Mine is not a the very nice restore work that you have done. I can only hope this inspires others to take the "jump" and do what works for them!

9338 93399340934193429343

GrenGuy
03-12-2023, 10:54 AM
If You guys keep this up You’re going to make Me start trolling the PAWN SHOPS :o

Hdskip
03-12-2023, 01:17 PM
Steeltrap I would carry that rifle any day. Great job. I probably should have done pillars in mine. Maybe next time. As far as a barrel I've done a couple builds because I had interesting brass.....:o GrenGuy I encourage you to go pawn shopping and join in this madness..:rolleyes:

Steeltrap
03-12-2023, 02:48 PM
Steeltrap I would carry that rifle any day. Great job. I probably should have done pillars in mine. Maybe next time. As far as a barrel I've done a couple builds because I had interesting brass.....:o GrenGuy I encourage you to go pawn shopping and join in this madness..:rolleyes:
Thanks Hdskip! It's a fine bolt action and for Pa whitetail deer, a great cartridge! It will do the job!!

Now....go peruse some pawn shops!!

Hdskip
03-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Your mountains are much like mine and suspect whitetails are about same. That is the intended use for my project.

Steeltrap
03-13-2023, 09:13 AM
Your mountains are much like mine and suspect whitetails are about same. That is the intended use for my project.
Our Appalachian Mountains run in the same "vein". I've been to Virginia (not hunting) and would agree...the terrain is similar. For the most part, whitetail here in Pa are taken in under 100 yard shots with rifles. 20 yards with archery.

My purpose of that rifle build was to have one for any one of my grandkids that expressed an interest in hunting or even just shooting. That's why, after those pics I posted, I cut 3" off the barrel and maybe 1\2" off the stock. (That was an interesting setup using a DeWalt circular saw). The rifle is much more compact and easier to carry, shoulder, and shoot.

Good luck with your project....post progress as you go!

Hdskip
03-14-2023, 06:30 AM
I suspected there might be a youth involved............:rolleyes: that's always a good thing. If we are mountain hunting the conditions are about the same. The stock finish on mine is under way now. I'll post the results soon. thanks for the input and sharing your project with us.

Hdskip
09-27-2023, 06:11 PM
Well it is time for an update to the 300H&H project. It has been sitting pretty idle since spring because I've been working on / with 2 new projects. I set this one aside until closer to fall hunting season here in Virginia. Most of the work is basically done except for a few more coats of stock finish. I've resumed load testing and have settled on a sound accurate hunting load. I have decided to use the 150gr cast bullet with a gas check, 19.0 grs of Unique powder and a Federal large rifle primer. I've tested 170 and 190 gr cast bullets as well. The best groups came from the 150 gr. groups are averaging from 1.5"_ 1.75". The heavier bullets gave good groups but the 150s were the best. This morning I shot five rounds across the Chronometer and was very pleased with the results.
These results will be more than satisfactory for my hunting needs. Maximum yardage in my hunting area will not exceed 140yds. there are about 2 months till I can use this on game but I will be shooting it on a regular basis until then. I will update comments as the season progresses.

Hdskip
09-28-2023, 06:43 AM
Here are the bullets I decided to use on this project.......

Dave Hoback
09-28-2023, 07:01 AM
Glad your happy with it. :tea:

Like many others, I know what it’s like to get to the end of a long running project. It’s pretty much always like that for me, LOL! Either waiting for parts. (Like the barrel I’ve been waiting on from NSS for over 22 weeks now.) Or because I’m disabled, one armed, one eyed & really slow at most things. I’m thorough..meticulous even. And my work is clean. Im just really slow, LOL! So it feels good getting to the finish line with a project.