PDA

View Full Version : Savage Guru gunsmith

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Robinhood
05-21-2022, 01:31 AM
I am going to have to take your word for it Tomme. And I am not disputing what you are saying. I do still prefer to look at things from an inspection and prove the theory position. Brass, lack of quality control with regards to a functioning standard, over gassed, over pressured. What are we blaming. I think I would start with inspections of the barrel chamber depth. Actual chamber dimensions compared to the reamer. There might be more than one thing that can go wrong. Remember the barrel maker that was cutting Savage threads and used the 1.055 dimension to calculate thread pitch rather than 1.062. Easy mistake if someone is given the wrong information. The OD was correct at 1.055 but the pitch diameter, nope.

Easy to see if one shop put out 500 barrels over a period of time and the chambers or something was machined with bad data. It happens. It happens with OEM.

tomme boy
05-21-2022, 04:42 AM
I have spent a lot of time behind the ar guns. Way more than bolt rifles. Some things should just not be done. I would at least advise anyone with a 350 Legend or a 6.5 Grendel to do some research on the cartridges. And especially the brass being used in them. Starline needs to do some more homework. Some cases hold way more because of this and thinner brass. But at the same time the 223 brass holds way less than any other brass out there.

GaCop
05-22-2022, 08:29 AM
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?66674-450-Bushmaster-Mag-Mods

Something like this is what I was thinking but could certainly be barking up the wrong tree. I did that modification on my Axis magazine but the FTX bullets still is the only one that feeds well in my Axis build. Everything else still hangs up, especially flat nose bullets.

Robinhood
05-22-2022, 09:57 AM
I have spent a lot of time behind the ar guns. Way more than bolt rifles. Some things should just not be done. I would at least advise anyone with a 350 Legend or a 6.5 Grendel to do some research on the cartridges. And especially the brass being used in them. Starline needs to do some more homework. Some cases hold way more because of this and thinner brass. But at the same time the 223 brass holds way less than any other brass out there.

Tomme, What is your recipe in the loads that your Starline brass is "belting"?

tomme boy
05-23-2022, 01:06 AM
CCI 41 primers, 165gr ftx 27.2gr lil'gun 350 legend. 26gr h110 same 165gr ftx. Groups of 5. 4 would be nice rounded primers then one would flatten the primer and sometimes blow the pocket. AR15 16" barrel carbine gas. H1 buffer. Adjustable gas block. 350 mags not converted. Rifle never jams as some do with this round. I also have a Ruger 16" American Ranch rifle in 350 Legend. And it does not do this as it does not have a feed cone on the breech.

I don't have the starline brass anymore because of this.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Packed up my polished straight pipe in 22 caliber on Monday, shipped it off the SSS for the "feed cone" cut/treatment.
Got a note from Lisa that they got it yesterday, Fred jumped on it, got it done and it'll be on it's way back to me today. Thanks both to Lisa AND Fred for the Super Service as usual. Hope it works like I have planned. :cool::cool:

Nor Cal Mikie
06-06-2022, 11:16 AM
IT WORKS!! Smooth as silk. Drop the "short" round in, close the bolt, works just like it's suppose to.:cool:
Thanks Fred & Lisa for the SUPER SERVICE.

Dave Hoback
06-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Cool beans.