PDA

View Full Version : 12BVSS new barrel (6BR)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

CFJunkie
11-16-2022, 08:05 PM
Never mind about the powder, I found you are using Varget buried in the text of post #1.
Sorry for the dumb question when the answer was there all the time.

charlie b
11-17-2022, 12:15 AM
Yep, Varget for all of this. :) The 108gn had a node at the 28.9gn point, which was almost the same vel as the 103gn at 28.0gn. I tried both at the higher node as well and had same difference in accuracy, but the 108s at the higher node had some sticky cases. Still is a bit baffling. It is probably just a twist rate and CG location issue. The rifle does fit better since I modified it with an adjustable cheek piece. I also got some N150 today, mainly for my cast bullet loads, but, might try it in this gun as well.

Dave, Thanks. Yeah 1/4MOA is new territory for me. I am hoping this is not a one time deal. After all, if you shoot enough eventually the bullets will go in the same spot :)

Gren, I think you may be right about the 108's. I don't have any more and probably won't ever buy anymore with the Vtac's doing this well. I used Bergers in my .308 and they did well, but, only if touching or jammed a bit into the lands. Given the cost I will stick with the Vtac's. And I will try the higher node with these to see how well they do. Since I don't compete I am happy with these and the lower vel of the BR vs BRA or other cartridges. I did think about the choice a lot before I bought the barrel. It was a tough decision between the BR, BRA, 6x47 and 6CM. The 'moderate' velocity levels (and resulting longer barrel life) along with no case mods was why I stuck with the BR.

charlie b
11-21-2022, 11:12 PM
So, I was out this morning with the Vtac's again. I fired the 28gn load again. As I suspected it was not a 1/4MOA group :) but it was 1/2MOA.

I also loaded up 29.6, 29.8, 30.0 and 30.2gn loads. Those were a bit interesting. The upper two loads kinda 'overlapped' each other in velocity. They were still a bit less than MOA. I'm used to a 'bad' load being 2MOA :) The 29.8 load had an es of 19 and sd of 6, as well as two 5 shot, 0.7" groups at 200yd. Avg vel was 2925fps.

Will go out next time and try the 28.0 and 29.8gn load against each other at longer range and see what they do.

It is almost 'fun' to see mistakes in shooting. When the crosshairs move, so does the bullet. Amazing. :)

Meanwhile I need to order a bunch more of these bullets. Glad Christmas is coming :)

Fuj'
11-22-2022, 06:05 AM
Bart’s Bullets are excellent also, but same situation.

For Barts Bullets (Bart Sauter) I'll recommend at this time his 68 gr Avenger. The Tack Driver
match that was just held In South Carolina Invites the top gunners of all disciplines to compete
at 300 meters, both score and group. With the 68's Bart won over 89 shooters and fellow shooter
Jerimiah Keefe took 5th overall using them.....

charlie b
12-07-2022, 02:04 PM
I have to say, this thing is addictive. I did try the higher node and found it at 29.8gn Varget, 2925fps (es 16, sd 6). And not unusual to have 5 rounds with an es less than 5fps. The problem is that I find that if my groups aren't much less than 1/2MOA I am very disappointed. For example, I had a three shot group at 600yd, with all three touching (!), and then messed it up with the next two, so the group was a 'huge' 4" ;)

LOL now I totally understand the 'rabbit hole'.

charlie b
01-27-2023, 09:42 PM
So, last one on the 103gn Vtac's. Wind was blowing just a little, a bit less than 5mph. My 600yd target had 4 in 2" and then one off to the right about 6in, at exactly the same elevation as the other 4. Obviously I screwed the wind call on that one. The 1000yd target was a 10" group. Once I figured that out I hit the 6" gong 2 out of 5 shots. Not too shabby for me in some wind. Yeah, I am hooked. :)

But, I also got my new bullet mold. From NOE a 108gn. Will report back when I get some results from them.

South Prairie jim
02-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Nice shooting..