PDA

View Full Version : Savage Aftermarket Stock Fitting

Pages : 1 2 [3]

yellowhammer_al
08-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Good to hear!

I'd like to see what the pillar option looks like.

I'll get a picture of it and post on here for you to see. My biggest concern was how much inletting would the stock need for the Accurate Mag bottom metal to work... the answer it turns out is none. It fits like a glove.

Kilroy
08-12-2022, 12:13 PM
I believe that Dykem dries on the surface. Inletting black stays liquid for a good transfer. Otherwise, it might work. I bought a tiny little pot of inletting black from Brownells 30 years ago. Still have most of it, and it makes a good dye for epoxy in a pinch.

Dykem high spot blue is a paste that does not dry. This is what most of us machinists/tool and die makers use. Word of caution with Dykem high spot blue, it will stain anything it comes into contact with, including your hands. It is made with indigo ink, or at least it use to be.

RCE1
08-12-2022, 02:09 PM
That's why I like the inletting black.

I think it's just lamp black carbon in an oil carrier. But I wasn't aware it's so hard to get. I have a couple tiny pots I bought 30 years ago and they're still mostly full. LOL...

Stock-work, I found, is hard on the hands unless you're very careful to avoid repetitive stress injuries. My left index finger is still slightly less mobile than it once was, most likely due to holding the files, rasps and sanding blocks in the wrong way. I no longer gleefully dive right into major wood-working projects these days.

Dave Hoback
08-12-2022, 10:08 PM
Decided to keep this set up in the Savage stock I painted up. I have a new action for the Boyd's stock that will go in it as soon as I get the bottom metal in. I thought I would love the forest Camo laminate with the Midnight Bronze but I really don't, think I'm going to do either Armor Black or Sniper Grey with it. Anyway, here's the Midnight Bronze action and barrel all done in the Savage stock.

It looks good, but I’ll agree. I did my barreled action in Armor Black & love it! And my Chassis is getting Tactical Grey..which is very close to Sniper Grey.

yellowhammer_al
08-16-2022, 06:15 PM
It looks good, but I’ll agree. I did my barreled action in Armor Black & love it! And my Chassis is getting Tactical Grey..which is very close to Sniper Grey.

Based on how it looks in the stock, think I’m going to go with Sniper Grey. Got the bottom metal in from Accurate Mag and of course I ground the front screw down too much so had to go to Ace Hardware for a replacement… 1/4-28 is not easy to find. Here’s a pic.

jonbearman
08-16-2022, 07:23 PM
I have bought 2 new pro varmint stocks. Both needed fitting and one was really sloppy which made bedding a breeze. So the only other option would be HS Precision and call them to see if they can make as a drop in.

gkainz
08-16-2022, 10:55 PM
… of course I ground the front screw down too much so had to go to Ace Hardware for a replacement… 1/4-28 is not easy to find…

I spent an hour in 3 different Ace stores and failed to turn up any 1/4-28 screws. I finally found them at a Big R while out of town.

yellowhammer_al
08-18-2022, 10:21 AM
I spent an hour in 3 different Ace stores and failed to turn up any 1/4-28 screws. I finally found them at a Big R while out of town.

I had to go to 3 different stores as well. 1/4-20 was everywhere but fine threads seem to be like a unicorn.

Dan Belisle
11-29-2022, 01:07 PM
Lol.

I think I'm going to move forward with a Boyd's stock. I was planning on cerakoting everything burnt bronze and I think that would look pretty nice with one of their forest camo laminates. Good advice on wrapping the dowel with paper. I want it free floated but I also don't want the barrel swimming in the channel.

Another question, is getting the stock with the pillar beds worth a damn or am I better off doing that myself?

I'm just in the middle of fitting bedding a 16 wide shank action into a Boyds varmint stock. Has a bull barrel on it so need a lot of inletting. Getting nervous about running the wood too open before I get the fit centered. As to pillars, having them installed is easy, but putting them in yourself is too. Lamp ferrules work very well for this, drill the hole diameter just slightly smaller than the major thread on them, then slot one end and you can screw them right in. - dan

Dave Hoback
11-29-2022, 02:43 PM
You mean you have a Large Shank?

Sorry.. lamp ferrels? Don’t need to worry on screwing pillars in. Use the correct Epoxy & they’ll basically be part of the stock!

These work fine: https://www.petespillars.com/store/p53/Pillar_Set_DIY_Stock_Pillar_Bedding_for_Boyds_Stoc ks_.html

But if you are simply speaking of getting them inexpensive, I’d just get these: https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lengths-Metal-Spacers-Online/dp/B09HLG87KW/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UZ9V2Y4TFT6F&keywords=1%2F4%22%2Baluminum%2Bspacers&qid=1669747225&sprefix=1%2F4%2Baluminum%2Bspacers%2Caps%2C70&sr=8-5&th=1

Different lengths to suit specific needs, and different amounts even!

J.Baker
11-29-2022, 04:04 PM
Didn't read through all the replies, so someone might have already mentioned this, but KRG is launching their Bravo chassis for the Savage 110's this month (of course no LH option though ~ dag-nabbit!). This chassis is what I refer to as a 'hybrid' as it's a combination of an aluminum partial chassis mated to a synthetic stock so it gives you the benefits of an all aluminum chassis while still feeling and looking more like a traditional stock. The Bravo's setup to take AICS pattern magazines so you wouldn't need your Accurate Mag bottom metal anymore.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

I'm running one on my ARC Nucleus build in 6x47 Lapua and have been extremely happy with it so far.