PDA

View Full Version : 110 Storm: 6-48 or 8-40 Scope Base?

Chris_in_Idaho
08-26-2022, 10:20 PM
Just ordered a 110 Storm in 300WSM. I won't have it in hand for a couple of weeks and I'd like to get my DNZ Game Reaper on the way so it's ready to go when the rifle arrives.
So, can anyone confirm a 110 Storm in 300WSM uses 6-48s?

Thank you!

Dave Hoback
08-26-2022, 11:30 PM
Eh… I’d wait & verify.

LHitchcox
08-30-2022, 05:25 PM
According to Savage it depends on date of manufacture. They switched over to 8x40 around June of last year.

Chris_in_Idaho
08-30-2022, 09:15 PM
According to Savage it depends on date of manufacture. They switched over to 8x40 around June of last year.

Thanks for posting that. That's interesting because I emailed savage and got an answer back saying 110 Storm uses 6-48. When I asked I clearly stated it was a brand new rifle I just ordered, and they didn't mention anything about date of manufacture in their reply.

Is the 8-40 change for all models?

Robinhood
08-30-2022, 09:47 PM
If you have dial calipers the minor diameter of 6-48 is .120"(#31 Drill) and the 8-40 is .1405"(#28 drill) or .1406"(9/64" drill"

Chris_in_Idaho
08-30-2022, 09:50 PM
If you have dial calipers the minor diameter of

Thanks for the dimensions. I do have a nice mitutoyo dial caliper, I just don't have the rifle yet. I was hoping to have the scope and mount ready when it arrives.

AZ_GUN_NUT
09-03-2022, 12:21 PM
Most mounts will accept both size screws. Since they center on the head diameter and not the screw shank. I had a customer buy a new Savage off the shelf from us. He also bought a scope and wanted it mounted. I went through all of our mounts and discovered we did not have one that fit a Savage that came with magnum size screws. So I had to get creative and shorten some Leopold screws from our spares bin to fit. So my point is... Have both size screws on hand if you want to be ready. Best of luck!

Oh by the way... It was NOT a magnum caliber he bought... But the receiver was drilled and tapped for magnum size screws.

Dave Hoback
09-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Mounts use different screws. Some use Flat Head screws, some use Countersunk Screws. Always best to be patient & make certain of what you need. Never Assume. Just makes an Ass of U & ME, LOL!

Chris_in_Idaho
09-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. The rifle showed up yesterday (quicker than promised - thanks battlehawkarmory.com) and using the inside jaws on my caliper I measure .115", which I believe indicates 6-48 holes.

In other news, it came out of the box with greasy fingerprints all over the stainless metal and a super dirty bore from test firing. Seriously, are they using Pyrodex or something in their test rounds? Cleaned up easy enough.
Now if I could just get the bolt slicked up I'll be in business!

Dave Hoback
09-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Nice! See that… patience pays off. What do you mean by “slick the bolt up”. Just curious. Which scope rail & rings you planning on btw?

Chris_in_Idaho
09-03-2022, 02:00 PM
Nice! See that… patience pays off. What do you mean by “slick the bolt up”. Just curious. Which scope rail & rings you planning on btw?

When sliding the bolt fore and aft, if I give even the slightest up or down pressure on the bolt handle, the bolt drags to the point of totally locking up. If I concentrate on pushing exactly straight forward and backward it cycles fine, but if there's any upward or downward pressure it stops the bolt from moving. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about rotating the bolt to lock/unlock into battery, I'm only talking about the fore/aft motion that would be ejecting and feeding.

My 1990s plain Jane 110 in 270 and the older 110E in 30-06 I had before that both cycled great, and my mid 2000s Rem 700 in 375H&H cycles like greased glass compared to all of them.

Last night I wiped out the receiver, wiped down the bolt, coated the bolt and raceway with CLP, and no improvement.

Dave Hoback
09-03-2022, 03:56 PM
Wall, unfortunately that can be a trait with some Savage Actions. It’s new, so give it some wear in. Get some rounds through it, being conscious of racking the bolt straight. Remember ANY Savage can be prone to jamming up from pushing the bolt cockeye.

AZ_GUN_NUT
09-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Mounts use different screws. Some use Flat Head screws, some use Countersunk Screws. Always best to be patient & make certain of what you need. Never Assume. Just makes an Ass of U & ME, LOL!

If he's like myself and many others... He probably has all the extra screws he needs laying around. ;)