PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mount Screw Alignment

Pages : 1 [2]

Whynot
09-19-2022, 10:51 PM
Well those rings would be the cheapest fix.... Not the best fix but still the cheapest. It looks like you have a lot of potential to introduce binding and loading of the scope... and another part equals another thing that can cause issues. External adjustments use to be how all the scopes were adjusted-- but then people realized a better way.

Dave Hoback
09-20-2022, 09:40 AM
Bingo!

Revoliver
09-20-2022, 02:13 PM
Well those rings would be the cheapest fix.... Not the best fix but still the cheapest. It looks like you have a lot of potential to introduce binding and loading of the scope... and another part equals another thing that can cause issues. External adjustments use to be how all the scopes were adjusted-- but then people realized a better way.
Nothing is fool proof. If you follow the instructions there is no issue, if you don't and mix-n-match the insert set halves, that's on the end user. Otherwise, there's no more chance of loading or binding or torquing than any other scope rings.

want2ride
09-21-2022, 10:41 AM
Nothing is fool proof. If you follow the instructions there is no issue, if you don't and mix-n-match the insert set halves, that's on the end user. Otherwise, there's no more chance of loading or binding or torquing than any other scope rings.

This is exactly right

mnbogboy2
10-18-2022, 11:00 PM
This is exactly right
I agree with celltech, we shouldn't have to deal with bore alignment with line of sight!
I've found that most often the problem can be traced back to loose fitting barrel threads and the recoil lug is not flat and parallel. A precision ground lug will help align the barrel with the action and most often solve the e problem, Burris sig.zee rings will always get you there.
Loose headspace will also cause an ftf.
I had a rash of ftfs in various calibers and it was found that a bent priming pin in my press was twisting the misaligned primers during the priming operation.
Loose anvils were always present at deprive and also with the ftf cartridges. The press was distorting the cups and dislodged the anvils! New priming pin and problem cured.

Chris_in_Idaho
10-18-2022, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the continued interest in this thread. I'm happy to report this has turned out to be the best shooting hunting rifle I've owned. Usually I have to handload to get down near 1moa, but this one shoots 180 Norma Bondstrike factory rounds like a lazer (check out the five round 100yd group). I also got the opportunity to test it on a whitetail on Friday and it did not disappoint!

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-QJZtaJlcrknVaTYTMw53wT1rx-5OcOp-fOPAA9j-u5dwdcJx7uAZWyY9K4wk8cb15cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn= THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1665869621
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render/00-QJZtaJlcrknVaTYTMw53wT1rx-5OcOp-fOPAA9j-u5c0X_MRoilm4VAenG1DkTyv4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn= THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1666148957

Dave Hoback
10-19-2022, 12:43 AM
this has turned out to be the best shooting hunting rifle I've owned.

Common occurrence with & voiced phrase in reference to Savage 10/110 rifles. America’s rifle! Glad to here you’re enjoying it.

thebeav
10-19-2022, 06:43 AM
Would it be possible to just get ring inserts and not have to replace the entire ring ?

Dave Hoback
10-19-2022, 10:49 AM
Would it be possible to just get ring inserts and not have to replace the entire ring ?

No. Specific rings are specifically made for these inserts. However, I would caution against them. For one, the inserts are typically polymer, and polymer is quite soft & flexes more than most think. Also, I encourage you to go back a read again. It was mentioned that outside, mechanical scope adjustments USED to be the norm. Until a better way way was discovered. (Internal adjustment)

Here is a picture of a Vintage Unertl rifle scope. See how it’s adjusted? By separate mechanical Windage & Elevation adjusters. This is the same concept the Burris rings (and others like them), are offering. Seems like a novel concept, until one comes to terms it simply being a re-hashed idea from the 1800’s.

https://i.ibb.co/dr9mHkq/F61-CBABA-F826-4098-A6-A2-FCEF9-E653329.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Lets also not forget, the OP was convinced he had a major problem…that is, until he started shooting his rifle. He was able to sight it with his scopes adjustment range & it’s his top performing hunting rifle. All with some super-dee-duper Burris redu.

want2ride
10-21-2022, 11:13 AM
No. Specific rings are specifically made for these inserts. However, I would caution against them. For one, the inserts are typically polymer, and polymer is quite soft & flexes more than most think. Also, I encourage you to go back a read again. It was mentioned that outside, mechanical scope adjustments USED to be the norm. Until a better way way was discovered. (Internal adjustment)

Here is a picture of a Vintage Unertl rifle scope. See how it’s adjusted? By separate mechanical Windage & Elevation adjusters. This is the same concept the Burris rings (and others like them), are offering. Seems like a novel concept, until one comes to terms it simply being a re-hashed idea from the 1800’s.

https://i.ibb.co/dr9mHkq/F61-CBABA-F826-4098-A6-A2-FCEF9-E653329.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

Lets also not forget, the OP was convinced he had a major problem…that is, until he started shooting his rifle. He was able to sight it with his scopes adjustment range & it’s his top performing hunting rifle. All with some super-dee-duper Burris redu.
Sorry Dave, usually i agree with what you are saying, but this time i strongly disagree. There really is no downside to using the Burris Signature rings. No marring, no slipping, no failure in thousands of rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WSM, 28 nosler, 7mm Rem Mag. I don't use the rings for side to side cant, only the extra elevation that a 20 MOA rail and an adjustable amount of cant in the rings give me. I like being able to use the scope's turret to shoot out to a mile and beyond. There really is NO downside to using these rings that i have seen

want2ride
10-21-2022, 11:14 AM

Sorry Dave, usually i agree with what you are saying, but this time i strongly disagree. There really is no downside to using the Burris Signature rings. No marring, no slipping, no failure in thousands of rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 WSM, 28 nosler, 7mm Rem Mag. I don't use the rings for side to side cant, only the extra elevation that a 20 MOA rail and an adjustable amount of cant in the rings give me. I like being able to use the scope's turret to shoot out to a mile and beyond. There really is NO downside to using these rings that i have seen

Dave Hoback
10-21-2022, 02:05 PM
No need to be sorry. It’s no worry to me when others disagree. Lots of different ways to add up to 10. But there is a reason serious competitor shooters don’t use Burris Signature. Look, I use American defense. I’ve had it a long time & this mount has performed well. But the same goes for ADM in the competition shooters game; neither are they used by any top competitors. And I don’t recommend these to others either. The only thing I recommend is what I would do, if I were to do it over again. Get either 7075 Rings, or invest in a 7075 mount, like the Spur or Tier-One mounts.

prdatr
10-21-2022, 03:41 PM
No need to be sorry. It’s no worry to me when others disagree. Lots of different ways to add up to 10. But there is a reason serious competitor shooters don’t use Burris Signature. Look, I use American defense. I’ve had it a long time & this mount has performed well. But the same goes for ADM in the competition shooters game; neither are they used by any top competitors. And I don’t recommend these to others either. The only thing I recommend is what I would do, if I were to do it over again. Get either 7075 Rings, or invest in a 7075 mount, like the Spur or Tier-One mounts.

Dave,

Do you lap those rings?

Dave Hoback
10-21-2022, 05:19 PM
Dave,

Do you lap those rings?

No, I don’t. Not that there is anything wrong with it. High quality rings/mounts offer very good ring alignment & Ring to scope surface contact. Lapping rings is that super extreme chasing of a some higher accuracy level that doesn’t exist. Once again, if my rifle is already delivering outstanding consistency & sub grouping in the right hands, the way it is, lapping rings isn’t going to somehow make it more accurate. Rings which are not making adequate surface contact & require lapping will “show their Arse”, so to speak. They won’t deliver consistency. Remember: accuracy is consistency Whether 1/4” groups, 1/2” or 3/4”…, even 1” groups or more. Regardless, if the rings are allowing the scope to move, they won’t show consistency. If a weapon is delivering inside 1” with consistency, lapping rings, playing with Action screw torque, or bedding the stock, isn’t going to make it more accurate.

efm77
10-22-2022, 05:06 PM
I’ve used the Burris rings on many rifles even of large caliber for years with no problems at all. I have had to use them for windage offset before as well and see no problem with using them for that purpose. Mass produced rifles are far from perfect and I’ve had screw holes off center enough that it uses way too much internal windage adjustment to get zeroed. These rings solve that issue and short of welding the holes shut and re-drilling them, I don’t know of any other solution in those situations aside from the old school leupold/redfield mounts with the rear windage adjustable ring. I’ve never had much faith in those on heavy recoiling rounds though as there’s very little purchase on the rear ring with the windage screws on the rear base.