PDA

View Full Version : How to take weight off my 110 ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

CRJR
10-05-2022, 05:54 PM
LOL. My mother-in-law said, "When you get over 50, fat gets sticky." I can say that when you get over 60 it gets even stickier :)

Congrats on the elk hunt. Last one I killed was with my car :o

Wow , that must've sucked , hitting a Elk .

I'm putting in for NM next year , just for fun , hard to get drawn though . I plan on putting in a few different states .
That Elk was in Pleasant View Co , the four corners area , I could see the mountains in NM from the lodge .

want2ride
10-05-2022, 07:13 PM
Well , I solved the problem ! First , I'm trying to lose weight , and get in better shape . I went to Colorado for a Elk hunt last month and going up and down those canyons was tough on this old guy , LOL
Also , I have an older 110 7mm rem mag with a pencil barrel and the plastic stock , it weighs 7.4 lbs , bare , or so . I've taken a lot of deer and an Elk with it , but the thin barrel kinda freaks me out . Plus the trigger guard screw is stripped and the forearm is kinda skewed to the port side .
So I want a rifle for Elk and spot and stalk / backpack next year .
So , I ordered a Kimber Mountain Desolve Blak in .280AI , paid $899 , removable break and a thread cover . This rifle has an advertised weight of 5 pounds 7 ounces . I plan to put my Nikon Monarch 3 on it , and at 19 ounces that makes a 7 lbs rifle package .
I couldn't bring myself to messing with the LRH , I'm shooting very accurate with it , I'm very happy , except for the weight . If I go horseback hunting again , I'll take it .
Here's the Elk I shot last month with my crossbow .

https://i.ibb.co/nPJVzVN/image4.jpg
I know that it is resolved, but the 7mm RM Long Range hunter can lose about a pound by going with a different stock The accustock i s about 3 LBS and the cheap plastic savage stocks are just over 2. If it shoots good, i wouldn't recommend taking off the accustock, and it looks like you decided to get a different rifle instead of exploring that option. GOOD!!
I had a Kimber 280ai Classic Select and it is a great alternative to a 7mm Rem Mag when you are running a lighter gun! It really is a nice round, i was pushing a 168 ABLR at 2840 FPS and it seemed just perfect. It wasn't exactly a hot load for it, but it filled the gap nicely between my 7mm Rem Mag LRH and my Bighorn 7x57 and Kimber Adirondak 7mm-08. I keep thinking i may get another 280ai some day, but i just don't need it. I ended up selling the 280AI to a relative because it just wasn't what i wanted (i used the money to get a Savage Ultralite in 28 Nosler, but when she gets too old to hunt i could see buying it back. It is a super nice gun. That Kimber Adirondak, i did a bunch of load development and just couldn't get rid of it fast enough. There is a such thing as too light, and at 4.7 LBS a 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel was it. I had put a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3i on it and as a total package it weighed just under 6 LBS... It was a slow 145 grain bullet (because of the short barrel) and a lot of very uncomfortable recoil. I ended up trading it off on a Savage Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor... with ZERO regrets.

CRJR
10-05-2022, 07:21 PM
I know that it is resolved, but the 7mm RM Long Range hunter can lose about a pound by going with a different stock The accustock i s about 3 LBS and the cheap plastic savage stocks are just over 2. If it shoots good, i wouldn't recommend taking off the accustock, and it looks like you decided to get a different rifle instead of exploring that option. GOOD!!
I had a Kimber 280ai Classic Select and it is a great alternative to a 7mm Rem Mag when you are running a lighter gun! It really is a nice round, i was pushing a 168 ABLR at 2840 FPS and it seemed just perfect. It wasn't exactly a hot load for it, but it filled the gap nicely between my 7mm Rem Mag LRH and my Bighorn 7x57 and Kimber Adirondak 7mm-08. I keep thinking i may get another 280ai some day, but i just don't need it. I ended up selling the 280AI to a relative because it just wasn't what i wanted (i used the money to get a Savage Ultralite in 28 Nosler, but when she gets too old to hunt i could see buying it back. It is a super nice gun. That Kimber Adirondak, i did a bunch of load development and just couldn't get rid of it fast enough. There is a such thing as too light, and at 4.7 LBS a 7mm-08 with an 18" barrel was it. I had put a Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX3i on it and as a total package it weighed just under 6 LBS... It was a slow 145 grain bullet (because of the short barrel) and a lot of very uncomfortable recoil. I ended up trading it off on a Savage Ultralite 6.5 Creedmoor... with ZERO regrets.
Depending on who you talk to Kimber is either a great shooting rifle or it's a hit or miss type deal , pun intended , LOL . I'm not real recoil sensitive , especially when shooting at game . Time will tell , but I'm kinda invested in the caliber , bought the brass and dies already .
But Kimber guarantees the accuracy so if it's a dud I'll just keep sending it back till they get it right .

want2ride
10-05-2022, 07:35 PM
That 280AI that i had would pretty reliably put 5 shots under a MOA, so the accuracy wasn't bad. The 7mm-08 was a bit tougher to work up a load for. I could only get about 1 1/2 MOA with it, but it is a LOT harder to shoot such a light rifle accurately. Even going from a 6 LB rifle to 4.7, you wouldn't think it would be that hard. But it certainly was. I am sure a good portion of that was me. So i have had two "good" kimbers, but i have read SOOOO many horror stories. How is yours? I imagine it isn't even broke in yet, so it might be too early to tell.

CRJR
10-05-2022, 09:34 PM
That 280AI that i had would pretty reliably put 5 shots under a MOA, so the accuracy wasn't bad. The 7mm-08 was a bit tougher to work up a load for. I could only get about 1 1/2 MOA with it, but it is a LOT harder to shoot such a light rifle accurately. Even going from a 6 LB rifle to 4.7, you wouldn't think it would be that hard. But it certainly was. I am sure a good portion of that was me. So i have had two "good" kimbers, but i have read SOOOO many horror stories. How is yours? I imagine it isn't even broke in yet, so it might be too early to tell.

It was just shipped out today , it'll be awhile before I get it , so I'll have time to load a few rounds .

prdatr
10-13-2022, 09:25 AM
It was just shipped out today , it'll be awhile before I get it , so I'll have time to load a few rounds .

It's a great round. Let us know how she shoots. I was in the same boat with a Remington 700 7Mag I have had since the early 90's and wanted to lighten it up. First I had the bolt fluted, then I switched out the Leupold two piece bases and rings and went with lightweight Talley, which I have been using for almost 20 years.
Then I took off the factory plastic stock and went to a Manners stock and it is right at 8 pounds with a Swarovski 3x18 scope. The rifle is stainless so I don't know if stainless is heavier than blued steel. I just turned 70 and have an Elk hunt next month and since I usually always hunt solo this time I am going with a guide so I don't have to do all the packing out by myself.

wbm
10-13-2022, 09:43 AM
I just turned 70 and have an Elk hunt next month and since I usually always hunt solo this time I am going with a guide so I don't have to do all the packing out by myself.

Good idea. Best of luck on the elk hunt!

CRJR
10-14-2022, 08:57 AM
Well I got the gun and it's pretty ! LOL Put an Nikon Monarch 3 scope I had on it and it weighs 6.6 lbs . I loaded some 150 ELD X's and took to the range to break in the barrel . I was surprised by the kick , mostly barrel rise , but still substantial .https://i.ibb.co/wdzqbnj/IMG-2619.jpg

CRJR
10-14-2022, 08:59 AM
It's a great round. Let us know how she shoots. I was in the same boat with a Remington 700 7Mag I have had since the early 90's and wanted to lighten it up. First I had the bolt fluted, then I switched out the Leupold two piece bases and rings and went with lightweight Talley, which I have been using for almost 20 years.
Then I took off the factory plastic stock and went to a Manners stock and it is right at 8 pounds with a Swarovski 3x18 scope. The rifle is stainless so I don't know if stainless is heavier than blued steel. I just turned 70 and have an Elk hunt next month and since I usually always hunt solo this time I am going with a guide so I don't have to do all the packing out by myself.
Good luck with the hunt , what area are you going to ? I love the Meeker / Craig area , beautiful area .

Whynot
10-14-2022, 11:23 AM
I've yet to see a 5 pound rifle with the barrel shot out, I'm sure they exist but rare. More recoil is just the trade off of easier packing.

With regards to the muzzle rise- when a bullet is fired the rifle recoil force has to go somewhere- usually back. When the gun can not recoil back then it is likely going to recoil up- I think this happens much more on low weight rifles partly because the shooter is expecting to be smacked by the recoil-- and they really muscle into the stock (naturally because who wants to be smacked) giving the rifle no chance to recoil to the rear. But as you get use to the gun I'm sure you'll figure out how it needs to be controlled.

Nice looking hunting setup.

Dave Hoback
10-14-2022, 12:08 PM
Seriously.. I just finished up & weighed my rebuild model 10 and it was right at 16lbs. I was hoping it was heavier, LOL! But I don’t walk around in mountains looking for game anymore. I do remember cursing my 116 Weather Warrior back then for it’s weight.

wbm
10-14-2022, 01:27 PM
Put an Nikon Monarch 3 scope

Sent you PM.

CRJR
10-14-2022, 05:11 PM
I've yet to see a 5 pound rifle with the barrel shot out, I'm sure they exist but rare. More recoil is just the trade off of easier packing.

With regards to the muzzle rise- when a bullet is fired the rifle recoil force has to go somewhere- usually back. When the gun can not recoil back then it is likely going to recoil up- I think this happens much more on low weight rifles partly because the shooter is expecting to be smacked by the recoil-- and they really muscle into the stock (naturally because who wants to be smacked) giving the rifle no chance to recoil to the rear. But as you get use to the gun I'm sure you'll figure out how it needs to be controlled.

Nice looking hunting setup.
Thank you !

I guess I was expecting less recoil , but it's right there with my 7mmRM . I really don't have a problem with it and I am not muscling it , I'm pretty loose behind the gun . I thought the chamber was tight , so I polished it a little , then realized I was putting to much roll crimp on the cartridge when I loaded them . Backed the die out a little and it's much smoother .

CRJR
10-14-2022, 05:12 PM
Seriously.. I just finished up & weighed my rebuild model 10 and it was right at 16lbs. I was hoping it was heavier, LOL! But I don’t walk around in mountains looking for game anymore. I do remember cursing my 116 Weather Warrior back then for it’s weight.
Well it's easier to add weight than to take it off . LOL
I'm not sure , but I think my 6mm Creedmoor would be right about 15 or so .

prdatr
10-15-2022, 10:41 AM
Good luck with the hunt , what area are you going to ? I love the Meeker / Craig area , beautiful area .

I'm not sure exactly where we will be hunting. Somewhere between the guides cabin in Forest Lakes and Holbrook. I went to the range yesterday before work and put a target out at 50 yatds. I shot some factory Federal 150's. I had the stock torqued to 40 in pounds and shot a 1/2" three shot group. THen I torqued it to 45 in pounds and shot a 3/8" group with two bullets goin intot he same hole so I will leave it there for now. It's going to rain today and tomorrow but the next trip I'll shooting from 300 to 500 to check some groups with two other factory loads. I have shot 2" group at 300 and a single shot at 400 that was 1" low with HSM ammo with the 168gr Berger VLD Hybrids but they just grenade on game and don't penetrate well at all so I will use wither Barnes with the 160TSX or Federal with the 160gr Trophy Bonded, whichever groups the best.
The scope has a custom turret for 168LRAB's so I will tape a cheat sheet to the stock. I just received some new Brass from ADG yesterday and last week I bout 100 160gr Accu Bonds but a friend who does load development for a local smith and some PRC shooters won't have time to work up a load for me unitl January. That'll give some time to find some H1000 and maybe some 168LRAB's but those seem to have turned into Unicorns. I have some RL22 from about 1995 but not much so I may buy another pound for him to use too.

charlie b
10-15-2022, 11:53 PM
AZ260 is one of those areas where cars hitting elk are common. Enough so that some (like me these days) won't drive it in the dark. We have a few of those in NM too.

FWIW, I totaled my Toyota Highlander 2yrs ago after hitting an elk at night.

CRJR
10-16-2022, 11:02 AM
AZ260 is one of those areas where cars hitting elk are common. Enough so that some (like me these days) won't drive it in the dark. We have a few of those in NM too.

FWIW, I totaled my Toyota Highlander 2yrs ago after hitting an elk at night.
Did you get to keep the Elk ? Because thats a great trade , an Elk for a Toyota , LOL YUk YUk , I kill myself , I'm such a mushroom .

charlie b
10-21-2022, 08:04 PM
LOL yep, nice trade. Except I can hunt them if I ever feel like it. A nephew is a guide.

No on the meat. Mescalero Apache Indian reservation (US 70). They keep it. Game and fish showed up before the tow truck and took it away. The Indian police told me they averaged almost 400 hits a year. One officer got a call for an elk hit one evening. On his way there he hit one. The next morning he was called out again and hit a bear.

CRJR
10-22-2022, 04:40 AM
Wow that is crazy , 400 a year . You're a lucky guy to get to go Elk hunting whenever you want . I'm going to put in for the draw next year , wish me luck !

charlie b
10-22-2022, 07:21 AM
Isn't it ironic though. I don't really care about hunting and I can go when I want. Most folks out there who want to, can't.

Back in the days when I was on my first elk hunt it kinda surprised me. I was used to the 'private property - keep out' signs all over. The ranches here would have big signs up 'welcome elk hunters'. After talking to an owner found out the damage done to his cattle operation by elk went into the many thousands of dollars per year.

And, our Game and Fish department gets a lot of their operating revenue from out of state hunting fees. Sorry :)