PDA

View Full Version : How to take weight off my 110 ?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

wbm
10-22-2022, 09:34 AM
Isn't it ironic though. I don't really care about hunting and I can go when I want.

It is. New Mexico has a lot wrong with it but the freedom to go out my back door to wild emptiness without "keep out" signs on all the trees is not one of them.

CRJR
10-22-2022, 10:08 AM
It is. New Mexico has a lot wrong with it but the freedom to go out my back door to wild emptiness without "keep out" signs on all the trees is not one of them.

Isn't it ironic though. I don't really care about hunting and I can go when I want. Most folks out there who want to, can't.

Back in the days when I was on my first elk hunt it kinda surprised me. I was used to the 'private property - keep out' signs all over. The ranches here would have big signs up 'welcome elk hunters'. After talking to an owner found out the damage done to his cattle operation by elk went into the many thousands of dollars per year.

And, our Game and Fish department gets a lot of their operating revenue from out of state hunting fees. Sorry :)

I am so jealous ! I just came through New Mexico last month on my way back from a Elk hunt . I got a slow leak on one of my tires so I stopped at a Garcia's Tire in Ship Rock , I think . I was talking the kid fixing my tire and told him I shot an Elk , and he said "So did I" and he showed me this monster bull he shot , and then the one his friend shot the same day . Then the Manager came over and he had shot one too , another monster !
I felt deflated , LOL .
I came home and told the wife we were moving to New Mexico , she said no . She is so mean , sometimes , LOL

Dave Hoback
10-22-2022, 01:36 PM
Isn't it ironic though. I don't really care about hunting and I can go when I want. Most folks out there who want to, can’t.

I understand that completely Charlie. It’s a normal thing. I make custom knives. I design & make some truly amazing, nearly indestructible knives that work as well as they look! Absolutely beautiful! The kind of knife people lack crazy for, save up & will spend several hundreds of dollars on. But the knives to me are just… meh! I can make them for myself whenever I want. So I look at knives in in stores & online differently.

charlie b
10-22-2022, 03:39 PM
I am so jealous ! I just came through New Mexico last month on my way back from a Elk hunt . I got a slow leak on one of my tires so I stopped at a Garcia's Tire in Ship Rock , I think . I was talking the kid fixing my tire and told him I shot an Elk , and he said "So did I" and he showed me this monster bull he shot , and then the one his friend shot the same day . Then the Manager came over and he had shot one too , another monster !
I felt deflated , LOL .
I came home and told the wife we were moving to New Mexico , she said no . She is so mean , sometimes , LOL

LOL

Don't be too jealous. When the state runs out of water you'll be glad not to be here :)

Lived near Albuquerque for many years. Not a bad place if you lived in the right areas. Weather was kinds in the middle, winters not too cold, summers not too hot. Scenery was good and lots of outdoor activities relatively close by. Southern NM is a bit warmer climate so suits me better, but, it means things like good fly fishing is just further away.

CRJR
10-22-2022, 10:48 PM
Well , if ever either of you two want to trade a Deep Sea fishing trip for an Elk hunt , I'm your guy . We live just minutes from the ocean and get lucky every now and then . Dolphin , Sailfish , Snapper and Cobia , and the occasional Goliath grouper .

charlie b
10-22-2022, 11:20 PM
LOL

One reason I live in the desert is I really, really dislike deep water. Lakes, oceans, big rivers, doesn't matter. If I can't wade across it I stay away. :) But, I appreciate the offer.

I do wish I could 'donate' a trip for you. Probably the only hunting that I enjoyed back in those days. All of mine was black powder too.

MtnOak
11-14-2022, 10:24 AM
Well , I solved the problem ! First , I'm trying to lose weight , and get in better shape . I went to Colorado for a Elk hunt last month and going up and down those canyons was tough on this old guy , LOL
Also , I have an older 110 7mm rem mag with a pencil barrel and the plastic stock , it weighs 7.4 lbs , bare , or so . I've taken a lot of deer and an Elk with it , but the thin barrel kinda freaks me out . Plus the trigger guard screw is stripped and the forearm is kinda skewed to the port side .
So I want a rifle for Elk and spot and stalk / backpack next year .
So , I ordered a Kimber Mountain Desolve Blak in .280AI , paid $899 , removable break and a thread cover . This rifle has an advertised weight of 5 pounds 7 ounces . I plan to put my Nikon Monarch 3 on it , and at 19 ounces that makes a 7 lbs rifle package .
I couldn't bring myself to messing with the LRH , I'm shooting very accurate with it , I'm very happy , except for the weight . If I go horseback hunting again , I'll take it .
Here's the Elk I shot last month with my crossbow .

https://i.ibb.co/nPJVzVN/image4.jpg
Sounds like you figured it out, losing weight and getting in shape is more the ticket than trying to cut weight off your rifle.
I solo bow hunt Colorado and pack in my camp, some things you have to have you can’t cut weight on no matter what you do, you just have to grit your teeth and tough it out.

CRJR
11-19-2022, 09:52 PM
Sounds like you figured it out, losing weight and getting in shape is more the ticket than trying to cut weight off your rifle.
I solo bow hunt Colorado and pack in my camp, some things you have to have you can’t cut weight on no matter what you do, you just have to grit your teeth and tough it out.
Yup , and take Aleeve for the pain , LOL . I do Ok , for an old guy . But I don't see me doing a solo backpack hunt , wish I'd gotten in to it when I was younger .

CRJR
11-28-2022, 07:06 PM
Just to follow up , I got the Kimber shooting as well or better than the Savage . The top target is the .280 , two three round groups , and the bottom is the Savage , one five round group . https://i.ibb.co/N7YMST0/IMG-2726.jpghttps://i.ibb.co/540hvmG/IMG-2722.jpg

CRJR
11-28-2022, 07:08 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Lv586Yv/IMG-2723.jpg