PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Issue - different from other 110 bolts

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
10-12-2022, 11:52 PM
It also looks like it is hanging low. in your picture compare the hight of the ejector to the one I posted in #4.Some guys were modifying the part to decrease the drag on the bottom of the bolt. It even looks like the picture I posted it may be lowere than factory settings. Without seeing the whole piece I can't confirm but it could have been modified. If the ejector is below the case rim or base it will not function.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 11:46 AM
Good call Robin. I didn't notice that until you said it. Could be an fix there. Take it apart & make the V-shape greater angle. I’d give it try.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 11:54 AM
I think you are correct as well Robin. Here is the thread your pictures came from. The Ejector in these photos is modified. I bet the OP’s is we well. Still, I think opening up a he “V” may still help remedy this.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32923-CRF-ejector-modification-for-improved-bolt-operation

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 12:17 PM
It also looks like it is hanging low. in your picture compare the hight of the ejector to the one I posted in #4.Some guys were modifying the part to decrease the drag on the bottom of the bolt. It even looks like the picture I posted it may be lowere than factory settings. Without seeing the whole piece I can't confirm but it could have been modified. If the ejector is below the case rim or base it will not function.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I played around with the speed and pulling it all the way back and that wasn’t really doing anything. In fact, the cases stay in the bolt and aren’t even being pushed free at this point. I turned the action upside down to get a better look and it seems like it is as Robinhood stated, my extractor is too low. My cases are riding on top of the extractor and not engaging with it. I’m going to take it out this weekend and see if I can extend the v shape a bit to get more engagement and hopefully that should fix it. Will keep you posted.

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 02:46 PM
I think you are correct as well Robin. Here is the thread your pictures came from. The Ejector in these photos is modified. I bet the OP’s is we well. Still, I think opening up a he “V” may still help remedy this.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?32923-CRF-ejector-modification-for-improved-bolt-operation

Taking the ejector out and opening it up with a wider V shape worked. I opened it up about as much as the metal would let me without forcing it. Knowing this is a hard part to find I definitely didn’t want to break it. Forcefully pulling the bolt back will yield a perfect 3 o’clock ejection now. A slow, smooth ejection still gets me a 1-2 o’clock ejection. I’m very pleased with these results. The ejection issues was making me question whether or not I wanted to take this rifle out in the field this year but now that it’s solved, I think this will be my rifle of choice this hunting season. Still working on developing loads for the 6.5 WSM. I’m starting with 63 grains of MagPro behind 140 grain Noslers. Going to try to work up to about 66 grains and see if I can get up to 3200+ fps out of a 24” barrel.

For anyone else needing to do this, it is not necessary to completely take the trigger out (like I did). If your trigger housing pin is going in from the bolt release side, simply pull the trigger housing pin out just enough to pull the extractor out. If you’re pin is going in the other way, then you have to pull it all the way out unfortunately.

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 02:49 PM
Here are a couple of pictures with the green extractor opened up. Sitting higher now and engaging with the brass.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 03:26 PM
Now that looks correct! Good catch by Robin. Said, I didn’t even notice until he said something. But as soon as he did, it couldn’t have been more obvious. And the fix was staring me in the face. Awesome news! Glad it worked out well for you yellowhammer. So satisfying when a plan hears fruit, ain’t it!

BTW: 3200fps with 140gr pills.. YIKES! That is smoking’! To me, close to 2900fps with my 260 Rem is a heavy load, capable of some serious damage… both on this game & targets at distance. And that’s from a 26” barrel. 3200 from a 24”.. that’s next level there.

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 05:08 PM
Now that looks correct! Good catch by Robin. Said, I didn’t even notice until he said something. But as soon as he did, it couldn’t have been more obvious. And the fix was staring me in the face. Awesome news! Glad it worked out well for you yellowhammer. So satisfying when a plan hears fruit, ain’t it!

BTW: 3200fps with 140gr pills.. YIKES! That is smoking’! To me, close to 2900fps with my 260 Rem is a heavy load, capable of some serious damage… both on this game & targets at distance. And that’s from a 26” barrel. 3200 from a 24”.. that’s next level there.

I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks for your and Robin’s help, btw. I didn’t even know Savage made a CRF style bolt until you guys mentioned it.

I have a .260 Remington as well and it is the most accurate rifle I own. 26” Varmint barrel in a Choate stock. It was originally a factory Savage .260 with a 1:9 twist that I rebarreled to a 1:8 twist and I was kind of going for a Savage 12 LRP clone build. It’s a heavy sucker but man is it accurate. I only load up to about 2800 fps for my .260 using H4831SC.

I’m hoping to get 3200+ out of the 6.5 WSM based on a .270 WSM Winchester Model 70 I had. I took many deer with that rifle and none of them took another step, they were dead right there. I used IMR 4350 with 140s in the .270 WSM and was getting somewhere around 3150 fps. With the 6.5 being a smaller bore, I’m scaling .270 WSM load data way back and starting pretty low with all of my powders and going to see if I can slowly work up without any pressure signs. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can get 2000-2500 rounds through the barrel.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2022, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I’m fond of mine. It’s been a built rig from the start, but I just finished a rebuild of it using the same Barreled Action. Also using a 1:8 twist, 26” Shilen. I just made a thread here about the other day.

Good luck with your plans and tagging an Elk this year.

yellowhammer_al
10-13-2022, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I’m fond of mine. It’s been a built rig from the start, but I just finished a rebuild of it using the same Barreled Action. Also using a 1:8 twist, 26” Shilen. I just made a thread here about the other day.

Good luck with your plans and tagging an Elk this year.

Very nice! I’ll have to check out the thread!